Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48

Author Topic: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Game Over  (Read 138287 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Game Over
« Reply #690 on: November 20, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »

Spoiler: Spirit Walk 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spirit Walk 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spirit Walk 3 (click to show/hide)

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 20, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »

Spoiler: Spirit Walk 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spirit Walk 5 (click to show/hide)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »

Toaster, you need to lie better :-X Seriously? An unknown night action that's "charged" by unsuccessful actions?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 20, 2011, 05:22:02 pm »

Also, totally called it Irony, nuke kill then kill toasty if the game has not ended.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:42 pm »

Toaster, you need to lie better :-X Seriously? An unknown night action that's "charged" by unsuccessful actions?
Well when you're in such a horrible situation you need to try something.  Although coming up with such a specific idea for someone elses role does look weird.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 20, 2011, 05:46:23 pm »

That was a good game.

I was really really happy with my role.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:09 pm »

Oh right yeah, and to anyone who says that Meph doesn't put lylo breakers in his games: there were two in this one (Bee Totem and Scorpion Totem).  That's fine and the game was balanced anyway, but stop saying he wouldn't put them in when he always puts them in.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »

Urist:  I was pretty much screwed- the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS answer to the game still going on is that the claimed Vig is actually an SK.  I didn't kill Jack because I thought I had a better chance of convincing him than either Jim or Dariush... not that I thought I had a chance of that, at any rate.

Hilariously, I was indeed telling the truth about holding fire N2 and N3*.  The factor you didn't know was my self-protect option, something I of course kept to myself.  I knew scum would be freaking out after failing to kill me N3, so I was able to peg the scum team pretty much bang on come D4.  I wanted one scum to remain until the end so I didn't end up in that unwinnable situation- I should have argued harder for a Dariush lynch the day Irony hung.

*Plus, the truth makes it easier to keep your claims straight.  I think that's what helped convince Jim- my claims were always consistent.

Quote from: IronyOwl
!!!

Toaster? IMPOSSIBLE! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD!

That made my day- thanks!  I was looking forward to see your reaction to that all game.  And Nuke?  I've learned since Super1 not to panic.  Cool and collected is the way to scum.

Anyway, Meph, awesome game!  I quite enjoyed it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 20, 2011, 08:09:18 pm »

Toaster, I'll make sure you have a nasty parasite infection in vengeance!

It was a good game, and although I got bearpwned N1, that happens.
My role was interesting but I liked it.

Poor Vector! A deadchat-speaker role and she dies N1.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:17:31 pm by Powder Miner »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 20, 2011, 08:20:23 pm »

Quote from: MBP
My reasoning worked, how is it crap? You will have to explain that to me.
Guess I'll respond to this here:

You were wrong. Your reasoning was wrong. You got it wrong. The effect happened to be correct, but that doesn't mean you weren't completely mistaken.

First of all, you thought scum was going after Toaster because he had a kill. That wasn't true. We were going after him because he was unkillable. If he'd been a normal vig/SK like you thought, we wouldn't have cared, because we'd just have murdered him in the night.

Secondly, my official reasons for suspecting him were entirely valid. You really can't say that we need to kill Toaster because X, but then anyone going after Toaster for X must be scum because only scum dislikes both vigs and SKs. The only reason scum were the only ones going after Toaster was because everyone else was either dead, completely focused elsewhere, or just plain bad at this.

Third, your reasoning was incredibly lazy. The only reason you figured all the scum was attacking Toaster and none wasn't was because the numbers lined up. But that was only because Max had been murdered the night before, meaning you knew it was entirely possible for non-scum to think Toaster needed to be killed, but you brushed that aside for convenience's sake. That's terrible, terrible reasoning.

In short, you were "right" completely by coincidence.

Well when you're in such a horrible situation you need to try something.  Although coming up with such a specific idea for someone elses role does look weird.
I would have gone with SK who can hide, personally, but who knew his odds of being lynched were basically nil, and who thus eschewed killing completely in favor of hiding night after night.

Hilariously, I was indeed telling the truth about holding fire N2 and N3*.  The factor you didn't know was my self-protect option, something I of course kept to myself.  I knew scum would be freaking out after failing to kill me N3, so I was able to peg the scum team pretty much bang on come D4.  I wanted one scum to remain until the end so I didn't end up in that unwinnable situation- I should have argued harder for a Dariush lynch the day Irony hung.
SON OF A-! So killing you was entirely feasible. Blaaaaaagh.

And yeah, I knew you'd pretty much have us, but we didn't think we had any choice. :I

!!!

That made my day- thanks!  I was looking forward to see your reaction to that all game.  And Nuke?  I've learned since Super1 not to panic.  Cool and collected is the way to scum.
Heh heh, glad you liked it. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 20, 2011, 08:28:58 pm »

Yeah, for me it was a case of "Hey, a kill failed on me, and suddenly several people want me hang really really badly!"  Only one conclusion could be drawn from that... not that I could say that out loud for knowing too much.

Also, seeing everyone try to shut me down all at once was hilarious.  That didn't even occur to me that I was gangbanged so much.   I'm surprised that me killing Powder wasn't figured out in advance- I guess MBP changed everyone's focus.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:54 pm »

Quote from: MBP
My reasoning worked, how is it crap? You will have to explain that to me.
Guess I'll respond to this here:

You were wrong. Your reasoning was wrong. You got it wrong. The effect happened to be correct, but that doesn't mean you weren't completely mistaken.

First of all, you thought scum was going after Toaster because he had a kill. That wasn't true. We were going after him because he was unkillable. If he'd been a normal vig/SK like you thought, we wouldn't have cared, because we'd just have murdered him in the night.

Secondly, my official reasons for suspecting him were entirely valid. You really can't say that we need to kill Toaster because X, but then anyone going after Toaster for X must be scum because only scum dislikes both vigs and SKs. The only reason scum were the only ones going after Toaster was because everyone else was either dead, completely focused elsewhere, or just plain bad at this.

Third, your reasoning was incredibly lazy. The only reason you figured all the scum was attacking Toaster and none wasn't was because the numbers lined up. But that was only because Max had been murdered the night before, meaning you knew it was entirely possible for non-scum to think Toaster needed to be killed, but you brushed that aside for convenience's sake. That's terrible, terrible reasoning.

In short, you were "right" completely by coincidence.

I would have gone with SK who can hide, personally, but who knew his odds of being lynched were basically nil, and who thus eschewed killing completely in favor of hiding night after night.

SON OF A-! So killing you was entirely feasible. Blaaaaaagh.

And yeah, I knew you'd pretty much have us, but we didn't think we had any choice. :I

!!!

Heh heh, glad you liked it. :P

hahaha, even after the game you twist the fact. Good ole Irony.

To respond

To your first, NOT. I tought you were going for toasty since he had a kill, but also since you tried to protect Simple.

Second. Agreed, again, i said that 9f the game did not end, he was a SK, and was 40% for that. Shoulda shuffled the % around, but whatever.

Third, Good joke. No, the clincher is not that max was killed, but that simple flipped scum. What are the chance that scum decide to bus their teammate, and that all the simple voters where misguided town ? Answer is not many, unless scum like to shoot themselves in the foot. Max flip sure helped, since now the team was completely defined instead of 2 on 3, but still.

And to conclude, no, i was right because i looked who voted for who, and the flips. I used basic logic to guess who was mafia and got it perfectly. U Jelly ?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 20, 2011, 09:39:19 pm »

Personally, Toaster, I would have gone after Dariush instead of Jim on that last day. A War Vet claim is the perfect defensive claim if no one has targeted you, since it pretty much keeps everyone from targeting you after that. And Dariush probably would have been an easier lynch target.

Glad people enjoyed the game. I had a lot of fun figuring out what powers to give the various animals. I probably should have done more 3rd parties, but I think it was a good selection of roles anyway.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 20, 2011, 09:48:30 pm »

Personally, Toaster, I would have gone after Dariush instead of Jim on that last day. A War Vet claim is the perfect defensive claim if no one has targeted you, since it pretty much keeps everyone from targeting you after that. And Dariush probably would have been an easier lynch target.

I actually went after Jim partially because he wasn't the easier target.  I didn't think about the untested nature of his claim, though- it'd be a great thing to claim as survivor, at least.

I hope my PMs to you made things interesting from a modding perspective.  (I had been detailing my thought process out in my night PMs to Meph, partially for record keeping purposes.  Example:

Quote from: N4
Figured, but needed to be sure.  Scum doesn't know that I can self-protect, but they clearly want me to get lynched.  That's pointing the finger of blame at people who voted me with poor cases- Nuke and Max- possibly Irony.

Native and MBP are almost certainly town at this point- they easily could have gotten me lynched.  Dariush is probably town.  Jack's town... I guess.  Could be wrong.

Jim's always a wild card- I wouldn't put it past him to bus Simple just for being incomprehensible, but he probably would have gone after me harder if he were scum- he's good enough to come up with a case, especially since my play wasn't stellar.

Yeah, I don't think holding back tonight is the right choice.  I just hope scum drink the wine and off someone else.

Attack Max White.  There's actually a decent chance he's town due to his block claim, but they easily could have blocked Vector or Leafsnail N1, and no one would be the wiser.  I don't mind a town hit at this point, though- it'd almost be better for me.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 20, 2011, 09:53:07 pm »

I enjoy seeing the thought process of the players. It makes things fun.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48