Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48

Author Topic: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Game Over  (Read 138356 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Spirit Walk 4
« Reply #570 on: November 04, 2011, 07:13:53 pm »

Irony:
N3 I dispute I had nothing.  Again, my top pick was Simple, but I was insufficiently sure on him.  If I'm not sure enough to shoot my top pick, why would I shoot anyone else?
Except, you only had one post to him, and I believe it was your last of the day. If your top suspect wasn't suspected at all until the end of the day, and didn't even warrant a vote then, you apparently didn't have much in the way of suspicions.

Right, because that's when I started suspecting him.  I grant that I didn't have a lot D3, but that's because I got caught up in the MBP mess.

I assume you mean Ottofar and BD?  IMO, they're lower power than MBP's power.  Given that we only know two scum roles, it's hard to say what the other two may be.  Someone is a vote blocker- that may be the scum counter to those two roles.
If it's hard to say what roles scum might have, why are you so certain about one of them?

Furthermore, the vote blocker could also be a third town counter to MBP. Would that still not suffice, in your eyes, or is there some reason you consider it unlikely?

Don't twist my words.  I said it "may be," which is a far cry from certain.  I was theorycrafting there.

It could be, I suppose.  I'm second-guessing my assumptions now.

It'd be a very stupid gambit.  If he's scum, his first gambit certainly worked (as he's not lynched yet.)
As I've said, stupid gambits seem par the course for him. More reasonably/WIFOMy, he might have wanted an ironclad guarantee of getting through LYLO alive, which is certainly something he'd have trouble with on his own merits.

I suppose that's true as well.

I'm going to go reread him, treating the whole incident as a null tell, and see what I come up with.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Voting Round 1
« Reply #571 on: November 04, 2011, 08:05:11 pm »

Okay, independent of D2, his play has been pretty bad.

MBP:  Your actions, so far, have been thus:

D1:  Sat on an RV all day then voted Irony for reasons that were unclear
D2:  Quickended the day
D3:  Sat around all day defending yourself; only re-voting Irony (who happened to be attacking you)
D4:  Did nothing until you untied the vote with a flimsy reason
D5:  One extremely shallow post

Regardless of D2, you've barely participated in this game.  I want your top two picks with a solid case on each of them.

Meph:  Prod MBP, please.  He hasn't posted in nearly 72 hours.

Jim:
Incidentally MBP is probably tomorrow's lynch since he's done nothing except defend Zrk2 since RVS... and incidentally he's still voting Toaster from a random question he asked.  Since then he hasn't even commented on Toaster's (or indeed anyone else's) alignments, so he's done absolutely zero scumhunting today.  Heck, he hasn't even had the decency to bandwagon or make decisions based on other people's scumhunting.  As I said before, cowardly scum who doesn't want to be caught bandwagonning.

I agree MBP is scummy but this looks like chainlynching to me.

When did Leafsnail go from possibly setting up a chainlynch to obvtown?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 04, 2011, 09:13:16 pm »

When did Leafsnail go from possibly setting up a chainlynch to obvtown?

He answered my question satisfactorily here. Other than that, which he answered well, he was town to me.

If MBP had quicklynched Leafsnail and Leafsnail flipped scum I would have been incredibly surprised.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 05, 2011, 02:31:03 am »

A deal's a deal.  Let's do this!

Your argument has been, from the very start, that I've been heavily twisting Nuke's words. Not "misinterpreting," not "jumping to conclusions about," heavily twisting. This really seems to require that there be an obvious meaning to twist there, since the more literal "you've been interpreting his words" doesn't really have the same punch to it.

So, even specific examples aside, it's pretty clear that you think Nuke's plan was fairly obvious, including motivations and reasoning behind it.

And here we start.

From my short response which you are currently saying is me ignoring your attacks:

I do not find the ENTIRE PLAN obvious, but I can still recognize certain things it definitely is and certain things it definitely isn't.

Let's expand this with an example.

Here's a hypothetical quote:
"Personthing is scummy, yes, but I don't think he's scum because happy elephants are fun hat nice good."

Here, there are things the quote obviously says: the writer says he believes Personthing is scummy, but not scum.  Most of the quote is incomprehensible gibberish, though.  That doesn't mean the writer isn't saying Personthing is scummy, but not scum.

If one tries to use that quote to say that the writer is saying he thinks Personthing is scum due to being scummy, that's bullshit and an example of twisting words.

To summarize, it is possible to twist the words of a statement that is partially not understood.  As long as there is something clear in the statement, that can be twisted.

Trying to say I somehow know NUKE's entire plan because I am arguing that you twisted his words is an utterly nonsensical accusation, which, of course, means that it's central to your argument against me.

ONWARDS!

If it wasn't, you really wouldn't have had cause to doubt my questioning him on it, much less cause to attack me over it, since even if a potential meaning, motivation, or reasoning could reasonably be assumed, there'd be no particular reason not to check. You've even explicitly stated that everything you've brought up has been glaringly obvious, which really seems to hammer that fact in.
First, I'm noticing you apply my "glaringly obvious" comment to statements made after said comment that it really doesn't apply to.  This is either a stupid tense mistake or word twisting.  Based on your other attempts to apply it to things it doesn't apply to (for example, some things written after it, and THINGS I NEVER FUCKING SAID), I'm going to assume the latter.

Next.  See above, to start.  This is one of those points that largely depends on your previous nonsense being true.  However, beyond that, I was not attacking you for questioning NUKE.  I attacked you for partially depending on massive twisting of what he said.

Yet, everytime I want to know just where the hell Nuke said this or that, you get all defensive and explain some potential line of reasoning for why his plan would be/do X, despite him never explicitly saying anything of the sort.
...Explain.  As far as I can tell, you mostly just asked me about why I said things I never said, tried to get me out of sticking to the glaringly obvious, and basically just screwed around.

When you didn't, well...I'll get to this later.

This does not mesh well with your assertions that I was heavily twisting Nuke's words in order to attack him, because that'd require he had a clear, established meaning to begin with.
See the start of the wall of text.

In fact, you've even admitted that there was a more likely possibility to his plan than the one you'd originally considered.
BULLSHIT.  BULL FUCKING SHIT.  This is a complete and utter lie.  I said that said possibility was more likely than anything involving towntells, something I had QUITE CLEARLY stated was clearly not a major factor in NUKE's plan.  Or, to put it differently, I stated that it was more likely than something I said it couldn't be.

But you don't like actually writing accusations based on what people really say, do you, Irony?

I know what I read, and I know the obvious context they were in (that is to say, what day they were on, and when during that day, and what was said around them).  What Irony and I were starting to get in to was a somewhat deeper exploration of the plan.  Now Irony's saying that the results we got in that deeper exploration, which had never been brought up before the "glaringly obvious" comment, are proof that I...was lying about knowing NUKE's entire plan or something?
When the results of deeper exploration both require deeper exploration and are proof that I was deliberately twisting his meaning earlier, yes, I'd say that's odd.

I find it shocking that the results of deeper exploration might, in fact, have required deeper exploration.  I find this completely shocking.

Second, this is ridiculous.  There's only one discussion that full comment of mine can possibly be seen to apply to.  That is to say, only one discussion actually fits fully with the comment.  That happens to be the "towntells" discussion, in which the results had pretty much no bearing on my argument.  So, yeah.

And yes, I assume you're his scumbuddy. You've both jumped to defense of and displayed insistent insight of his plan, which doesn't make a massive amount of sense if you weren't in on it in some fashion.
I know you hate hearing this, and keep on saying you've destroyed it, but I just read what NUKE wrote in this thread.  I will also note that you've repeatedly tried to say I have more of an insight into his plan than I've ever shown, through strained interpretations of certain words.

There.  I'll look at everything else when I'm actually reasonably awake.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 05, 2011, 09:46:02 am »

Yes Yes, woe is me. Much moving around, but im there for the next few hours, ill use them well. Re-reading on it's way.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 05, 2011, 09:47:28 am »

The Counting Stones
NativeForeigner: Toaster
IronyOwl: Jack AT
Jack AT: IronyOwl
NUKE9.13: Dariush, Jim Groovester
Toaster: NUKE9.13

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Vote Phase 5
« Reply #576 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:00 am »

Here goes, based on day read and vote form yesteday vote.

First off, Toaster vote yesterday were Nuke, Irony and Max White, whom got offed during the night.   For this i will assume scum did not bus their teammates when they could have had a town lynched, or better yet a tie.
Now i could see 3 reason for Toasty shooting Max
1) Knowing that Simple was scum and normally not bussed, and him being a Vig, he had a good chance to hit scum by killing one of his voter, yet missed.
2) Him being a Sk, same argument, but now it's a no loss situation.
3) Toaster is actually a scum, charged with the team kills. This one is unlikely, since both attacked the other form the start, and this kind of double bussing is hardly productive.

From those, id assume that Toaster is either a vig or sk, but i am unaware wich one.

On another note, my two most likely scumpicks.

Irony, and also Nuke. Irony, why so angry on me tiebreaking last vote ? Emotive much, you should be a bit more happy that we lynched scum last night. Oh wait, he was your buddy, right ? Assuming we dont have 2 scum on the stand, we had 3 scum left, 4 people voting toasty (vig or sk, scum really as no love for those). Simple lynched and Max white offed, we end up with 2 person left, and 2 scum left. How good. Already hearing the wifom accusation flying but still, you have to admit it would be damned stupid for scum to bus if they can get a tie, or better yet a sk/vig lynch.

Again, my vote is invalid today, be warned on it on the counting stones.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 05, 2011, 06:18:18 pm »

You're right about the WIFOM. It's absolutely unheard of for scum to bus their partners when there's a tie. Definitely not for a player who's already established a strong self-preservationist bent in everything he's done so far in this game.

How come you only did this when prodded? Why aren't you bringing us the wisdom of your words more often?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 05, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »

Wasn't prodded, i would have loved to be able to post earlier in the week. Have been pretty somewhat preoccupied last few days, one of my uncle died, so i got to grandmother place for the funerals and mass. Somewhat backwater, and she does not have the internet. Did connect a few times from cousin's house, but never long enough to be able to post.

Jim, funny youd put it back on me. Frankly, if i was scum id rather have the other bus me. After all I would be a pretty big liability for them already.

Also, my predicted wifom was about my accusation of Irony and Nuke. See, if you were in a position where the vote is tied between your scumpartner and a townie/sk, whit your votes being on the townie/sk. What possibilities do you have ? You can keep your votes there and hope for a switch or a tie, or move them and condemn your scumbuddy. You can remove the possibility of a good or very good income ( no lynch or lynched townie) for almost no reall gain. Other way, if the votes are tied, and the scums are voting their own scumbuddies, why would they note move their vote. They can reasonably say they just wanted to remove the possibility of a no lynch, and get a townie for the count. Other possibility is one scum on each and tied. Then, one of the scum switch his vote, and we get a lynch. Better yet, there was no true good ending even with a  late vote like mine. ote the most stacked side, lose a townie, or tie the votes. No good outcome.

My argument thus is Wifomy, alright, but logically sound. Since Simple was scum, the scummbuddy knew, and we assume they play to win, i can't imagine a situation where it is preferable for the remaining scum to bus their teammate rather than causing a no lynch or a mislynch. Assuming that, the scum partner must have been amongst those voting toaster, namely Nuke and Irony.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 05, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »

Nuke:  If scum doesn't have a kill, who killed Vector and Ottofar?
If scum does have a kill, why are you still alive?
Ah, the point being, I don't know. But there's something happening. Something unexplained. I feel like this game is slipping away from us, and into your waiting arms.

That's a lot of assumptions and uncertainties you're making and you still don't have a lot in the way of a case.
Yes. True. However, I believe the assumptions are sufficiently safe to make Toaster's guilt fairly certain. I don't have much of a case against him, no, but, well, I don't have much of a case against anyone else.

cool with me and Dariush lynching NUKE9.13.
Apparently everyone is.
:/

From those, I'd assume that Toaster is either a vig or sk, but I am unaware which one.
And with that, you are satisfied? Well, he could be a SK, but, you know, whatever. SKs aren't really a problem, right? [/sarcasm]

I am going to descend into questionable assumptions regarding power balance.

Meph announced at the beginning of the game that there were 4 scum, out of 16 players. This is a lowish ratio, but with powerful scum (cop and roleblocker so far), mostly balanced- perhaps a bit in town's favour.
It occurs that a Vig would tip things in the towns favour, even more so than it already was.
A SK, on the other hand, would serve to tip it against them. And Scum had powerful roles, but so did town. A medium, for example. Methinks the presence of a SK would be more balanced than the presence of a Vig.

As I said, questionable. And also rather against the spirit of the game, no? Accounting of power levels to determine which roles could exist.

But. I am not scum. I do not wish to be lynched by two people, when a SK is sitting in the foreground, laughing. If such methods might convince others, I will lower my standards and stoop to guesswork accountancy. Note that, before you ask, I am not relying on this alone. My other points still stand. Max the cop, who seemed to have something against Toaster. A vague air of scuminess. The amazing 'coincidence' of not even trying to kill when he was blocked.

Toaster is a SK. He is trouble. He should be lynched.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 06, 2011, 12:42:39 am »

Yes. True. However, I believe the assumptions are sufficiently safe to make Toaster's guilt fairly certain. I don't have much of a case against him, no, but, well, I don't have much of a case against anyone else.

You're funny.

What are your other suspicions besides Toaster?

NativeForeigner, you're the only one who hasn't voted.

Let's hear a case.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 06, 2011, 02:47:58 am »

NativeForeigner, you're the only one who hasn't voted.

Let's hear a case.

Bleh, tomorrow. Don't expect anything spectacular.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 06, 2011, 09:49:56 pm »

Toaster:
Except, you only had one post to him, and I believe it was your last of the day. If your top suspect wasn't suspected at all until the end of the day, and didn't even warrant a vote then, you apparently didn't have much in the way of suspicions.

Right, because that's when I started suspecting him.  I grant that I didn't have a lot D3, but that's because I got caught up in the MBP mess.
I'm not sure I buy this. You had a fair spread of questions, they just didn't usually go anywhere. It certainly doesn't look like you were too distracted with MBP to get a read on anyone else.

I assume you mean Ottofar and BD?  IMO, they're lower power than MBP's power.  Given that we only know two scum roles, it's hard to say what the other two may be.  Someone is a vote blocker- that may be the scum counter to those two roles.
If it's hard to say what roles scum might have, why are you so certain about one of them?

Furthermore, the vote blocker could also be a third town counter to MBP. Would that still not suffice, in your eyes, or is there some reason you consider it unlikely?

Don't twist my words.  I said it "may be," which is a far cry from certain.  I was theorycrafting there.

It could be, I suppose.  I'm second-guessing my assumptions now.
You're theorycrafting in line with an already-stated conclusion, though. If you say MBP is town and then provide a possible explanation for why he could or would have to be, it's generally safe to assume that you consider it likely that said explanation, or something similar, is true.

MBP:
First off, Toaster vote yesterday were Nuke, Irony and Max White, whom got offed during the night.   For this i will assume scum did not bus their teammates when they could have had a town lynched, or better yet a tie.
Unless they wanted you to think this.

The tie thing is particularly hilarious. Tell me any halfway competent scum would have tied the vote and then expected to not get lynched for it the next day. Go on, say it.

3) Toaster is actually a scum, charged with the team kills. This one is unlikely, since both attacked the other form the start, and this kind of double bussing is hardly productive.

From those, id assume that Toaster is either a vig or sk, but i am unaware wich one.
So he's either a powerful pro-town role or a dangerous killer, but you don't know or care or have any interest in finding out which one.

Irony, and also Nuke. Irony, why so angry on me tiebreaking last vote ? Emotive much, you should be a bit more happy that we lynched scum last night.
Because lurking obvscum who should've been dead already popped in to save their scumbuddy with no case. That made me understandably infuriated.

Simple's flip changed that dynamic a bit, but obviously I didn't know about that until afterwards.

we had 3 scum left, 4 people voting toasty (vig or sk, scum really as no love for those). Simple lynched and Max white offed, we end up with 2 person left, and 2 scum left. How good. Already hearing the wifom accusation flying but still, you have to admit it would be damned stupid for scum to bus if they can get a tie, or better yet a sk/vig lynch.
Unless they wanted you to think this. You do understand what WIFOM is, right?

Also, you're changing your story as to whether lynching Toaster or tying the vote would be better.

I'll respond to Jack in a separate post, due to length/readability concerns.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 06, 2011, 10:50:46 pm »

Ahhhh how fun. Had hoped you would do a halfway interesting rebuttal, and at least read a bit. Disapointing. Let's get this going, shall we ?

( I suck at formating. Problem ?

MBP:

Quote from: Mysteriousbluepuppet on November 05, 2011, 10:24:00 am
First off, Toaster vote yesterday were Nuke, Irony and Max White, whom got offed during the night.   For this i will assume scum did not bus their teammates when they could have had a town lynched, or better yet a tie.Unless they wanted you to think this.

The tie thing is particularly hilarious. Tell me any halfway competent scum would have tied the vote and then expected to not get lynched for it the next day. Go on, say it.

Well sure. Any halfway competent scum would prefer tying a vote than letting their teammate get lynched. You get 1 more night action, 1 more alive scum next day to try to swing the vote around and overall a much better position. After Nk, 7 player and 3 scum vs 6 player and 2 scum. Wich one look better ?

Oh hey, let's viciously attack each other, making us big targets. Sure sound like a winning situation. Remember why lurking is considered scummy ? Being in the background being helpfull to keep secrecy? Sure don't mean a thing here.

So he's either a powerful pro-town role or a dangerous killer, but you don't know or care or have any interest in finding out which one.

How about we destroy scum, if we win, he was vig, if we are not winning, he was sk,we lynch him. Sure sound like a win-win situation to me.

Irony, and also Nuke. Irony, why so angry on me tiebreaking last vote ? Emotive much, you should be a bit more happy that we lynched scum last night.

Because lurking obvscum who should've been dead already popped in to save their scumbuddy with no case. That made me understandably infuriated.

Simple's flip changed that dynamic a bit, but obviously I didn't know about that until afterwards.

Yeah sure. Sure it's not because i condamned your good buddy? Pretty sure it's what happened. We will see soonish, my guess is.

we had 3 scum left, 4 people voting toasty (vig or sk, scum really as no love for those). Simple lynched and Max white offed, we end up with 2 person left, and 2 scum left. How good. Already hearing the wifom accusation flying but still, you have to admit it would be damned stupid for scum to bus if they can get a tie, or better yet a sk/vig lynch.Unless they wanted you to think this. You do understand what WIFOM is, right?

Also, you're changing your story as to whether lynching Toaster or tying the vote would be better.

Or, better yet you could reread and see that i say that Both lynching a vig/sk or getting a tie is preferable for scum than bussing Simple. Pretty much the whole point of my text. So. Heres a reusme version, so you can stop assuming stupid things.

Toaster role is dangerous to scum. Scum want to lynch Toaster, or at least tie the vote not to lose a scumbuddy. Knowing that. Toaster shoot one of his voter, both for self preservation, and since there is a much higher chance that one of his voter is scum, since scum keeping their vote on Simple ''for Wifom''(damn you love this stupid explanation) is unbelievably retarded. Any question ?

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 06, 2011, 10:51:53 pm »

Forgot to bold initial quotes. Sorry bout that.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48