Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48

Author Topic: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Game Over  (Read 138477 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Voting Round 1
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »

Couldn't you both be scum?
Hah. Just once- just once, I'd like to see the scumteam actually pull of a thing like that. Random, unprovoked, massive D1 bussing. Just so that when someone inevitably says 'They could both be scum', they are completely correct.
Long Live United Forenia!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2011, 10:17:38 pm »

I know, scum never do anything cool like that. Still, this might be the game!
*Crosses fingers*

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2011, 10:27:45 pm »

So don't like the rolefishing, and it is scummy, but your going to give him a chance to back down after people have told him how scummy it is? Wouldn't that mean that if he is scum, your making it way too easy to make mistakes and then change he's tact and get away with it?
There were questions in that directed at you MBP.
It's like playing whack a mole! You guys keep popping up and ducking away just before addressing my questions.

What it actually means is that if i tought it was a sufficient reason to vote him off, i would hav edone so. thus i do not believe that only that was worthy of a vote. May change my opinion soonish, since there are about 5 guys hunting for his blood, and with that kind of pressure i doubt scum would be able to ride it out. Satisfied ?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:44 pm »

Irony:  Vig.  It's one role I've never had, and I've love to have that kind of power.

Max:
Or, I don't fucking know, I'm a doctor? *Gasp* It's cuz I'm a big protective walrus.

This reminds me of witches coven. Claiming straight doc is not only unwise, but uncreative. Scum are scared to make bold claims unless they have a baseline for what everybody else has, so are conservative.
Just like in witches coven Urist made a bland flavour claim with little detail, now Zrk2 is making a bland role claim because he dosn't know if other peoples roles are awesome powerful or just minor.

This logic is flawed.  He would have no baseline to compare with only if the only role he knew was his own, implying he wasn't mafia.  You're saying here he's either town or third party.

Zrk2:
Anyway I was asking about roles to provoke a reaction - the point of the RVS, so discussion is now going and we have some more posts to analyze. Shall we now look into the cases put forward against me and analyze them?

I like to call this the Solifuge Strategy, as he was the first person I've seen doing this large-scale.  It didn't work for him and it didn't work for Nuke in Roguelike 3.  They have many more games under their belts than you- why do you think it will work for you?

Nuke:
WHY. WOULD. YOU. ROLECLAIM. DOCTOR.

Refuge in Audacity?

BD:
Nuke I didn't think Zrk2 was being serious with that post honestly. I mean he hasn't played in awhile, but EVERYONE knows not to claim doc D1.

Zrk2 you were kidding, right?...

This reeks of defense.  Why would you defend him?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2011, 10:29:51 pm »

Toaster Well first of all, it was pretty damn stupid to do. I mean everyone knows not to claim doc D1, I thought he was kidding at first.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2011, 10:31:22 pm »

Obviously everyone knows not to do it except him, I guess.  And the other people I've seen do it D1 in past games.

Also, that doesn't really answer my question.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2011, 10:31:45 pm »

This logic is flawed.  He would have no baseline to compare with only if the only role he knew was his own, implying he wasn't mafia.  You're saying here he's either town or third party.
He would have no baseline if he didn't have a town role, as a townie he would have at least one, but as scum he wouldn't have any. Although yea, he could be third party.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2011, 10:33:57 pm »

Max:  If he is mafia, he'd have three other roles beside his own to look at to see what 25% of the game's roles consisted of.  It'd be pretty simple to make an educated guess from there.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2011, 10:38:09 pm »

Hmm, true. Although it depends on scum roles being of similar scale to townie roles, but good point.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2011, 11:01:59 pm »

Let's do this!

JackAT.  If I've played with you before, I don't remember it.  So: favorite scumbuddies, and why?  List four, please.
We've never played with each other.

This is a tough question for me to answer.  I've only been with 5 unique scumbuddies so far, and 3 of them I refuse to list as my favourites, generally for having failed to do anything during BYOR 7 (one got replaced after never posting, one got modkilled for not posting, and one just generally lurked) or for having confessed to being scum.  Yes, really.

So...um...I'll list the two I find I can stand listing:
*Jim Groovester:  Worked with him as cult in WWYDT.  Experienced player, not a common lynch target, and I didn't end up angry at him at any point in WWYDT.
*TolyK: Worked with him as mafia in BYOR 7.  Got himself lynched way too easily, but did well at keeping the town confused.

And now for something completely different: the fuck, Zrk2?  Claiming the amazing, NK-attracting doctor?  Rolefishing on a large scale "to start the fucking conversation"?  Claiming that roleclaims aren't a big deal in BYORs because everyone has a power role?  Trying to shorten D1... to get lynched to... um... somehow prove Jim is scum for arguing to lynch Zrk2?

Why would you rather die quickly than have more time to hunt scum/strengthen your Jim argument?  Why are you giving up on surviving D1?

They can't afford to lose someone D1, it would make no sense for me to do this as scum.
Because scum has never lost a member D1 only to easily win a few days later.  Or, to put it differently, this is terrible, WIFOMy, logic.  Heck, I remember BYOR 7, where TolyK's D1 lynching ended up helping the scum win (helped convince the dead that I, scum medium/reviver, was town).

Oppose shorten.

I'm not going to be able to post frequently for a bit, but I'll try to get what I can done.

Running out of time on hotel computer, so I'm off for a while.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2011, 12:01:27 am »

Then why did you say I was starting a witchhunt on the flimsiest of suspicions again if you knew it wasn't the case?

Because... Fucking wait for it... I DIDN'T BLOODY WELL SAY THAT, I SAID YOU HAVE HISTORY OF DOING THAT.

BTW this is sort of exactly what I said you would do, once here there is no winning, no matter what I say you will lynch me. Hence Shorten. Then I will be lynched, revealed townie and Jim's bullshit will be proven wrong. Then I trust you can lynch him for everything I have already pointed out.
Whenever someone tries to get themselves lynched supposedly, they're mafia (taken from one of the beginner's mafia's guides). Add the rolefishing, the doctor claim, well, I don;t care if it's been mentioned, it's scummy. Unvote Jim Groovester, Zrk2

Jack, what third party do you most want to be in the game right now?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia - A BYOR - Signups CLOSED
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2011, 03:18:57 am »

Powder, if you were a cop, and got a guilty result n1, would you claim right away? You wouldn't know if there was any protective roles around.
Ottofar, I'll admit it.  This is a pretty subtle and crafty form of rolefishing.  Hmm... I guess not so much "rolefishing" as "who-should-we-kill-tonightfishing" (working out who would be most dangerous if they had certain roles).  Why are you trying to give the mafia more to go on for their nightkill?

I didn't even think of it that way.

It was more of a question like the following one, to read into their mindset. Would they rather hide than draw attention, and in Dariush' case, survival or protecting the cop.

Ottofar, if you were a vig, what would your criteria for targets be? Roleblocker? Doctor? Under what circumstances would you not action?

Also, was Vector's interpretation of the reasoning behind your drape question correct?

I'd shoot people I thought were scummy as vig, and I think I'd be quite trigger-happy.
As a doc, I'd probably protect someone random N1, then one of the more experienced players here.
As RB, I'd act like the Vig, but avoiding claimed power roles more.

And yeah, it was.

Unvote Powder Miner,
Vote Nuke
. Why shouldn't you hang?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2011, 04:57:16 am »

Ottofar, I'll admit it.  This is a pretty subtle and crafty form of rolefishing.  Hmm... I guess not so much "rolefishing" as "who-should-we-kill-tonightfishing" (working out who would be most dangerous if they had certain roles).  Why are you trying to give the mafia more to go on for their nightkill?
Did you seriously just accuse someone of rolefishing based on their RVS question?

Zrk2, why exactly would you need information about our animals? Don't you have any less scummy way of provoking discussion?

Nuke, you... I... I just have no words. You're being an even bigger moron than you usually are, and that's an impressive achievement. Are you even playing to win or simply to come, insult everyone, get lynched, laugh, rinse and repeat?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2011, 05:00:59 am »

Nuke, you... I... I just have no words. You're being an even bigger moron than you usually are, and that's an impressive achievement. Are you even playing to win or simply to come, insult everyone, get lynched, laugh, rinse and repeat?
So, what. This is just a straight up OMGUS?
Yeah, this is pretty much just that.
Long Live United Forenia!

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2011, 05:25:34 am »

Nuke.
Jester or lyncher?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48