Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.  (Read 21319 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Kisame12794: Proficient Blacksmith
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 07:37:04 am »

Yeah it was Powning. Oops. It is pattern welding but most of us call it damascus. I am interested aboud where you heard of wootz steel though, not many have.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:34 am »

I ran into various references to it in some of the fiction books I have read and in the quick Wikipedia search I did just before my previous post to check that my (vague) memories were correct.

I have now dug up the copy of the Chronicle (the magazine that my reenactment group sends to its members) with the article about recreating Damascus and Wootz steel and I think that's were I first ran into it in an intellectual context.

The article is chock full of references which I can copy out if you are interested.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 11:19:35 am »

How much is a subscription?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

As far as I'm aware, it's a society-only circular - no distribution outside of Regia Anglorum.

I've included some of the sources given in the article below. (Harvard notation)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 09:13:22 pm »

Wootz steel was steel imported from India- the reason why it was considered so strong was because (recently) it was discovered to contain carbon nanotubes embedded in the steel, vastly increasing the strength of the blade.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 04:40:18 pm »

I am currently freezing my ass offyo bring you a christmas themed project. I will post pictures after I am done forging it.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 06:43:21 pm »

You make me want to be a blacksmith .-.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2012, 04:16:04 am »

This topic has been dead for far too long. Where's that promised Christmas present you promised?! :)

I am finally starting to get back into the loop. My bestest of all in-laws found a nice anvil! It still needs a stand, and I need a worktable, but other than that things are looking up. Hopefully I'll get the table, weld the supporting structure and the anvil stand this weekend.

Anyway, I was welding a mobile chicken coop, and then needed 19mm holes for the wheel shaft, but only had drill bits going up to 12mm. I drilled as much as I could, and then used the tube as a drift to widen the hole to the desired width. Unfortunately, using 1.5mm thick tube to drift is REALLY DUMB, but that's all I had. Here it is. It wasn't much for sure, but I was all teary eyed at the end when I realised I'm getting real close to having a proper workshop and forging again after 7 years.

After getting the worktable and anvil stand, I'll be doing about 4 or 5 sets of tongs to offer to budding portuguese (hobbyist) blacksmiths. There ain't many of us, and the small market makes tongs cost about 70€ (around $100), which is way too much for what we portuguese can afford. This way they'll have one of the basic tools for free. Hooray!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2012, 05:48:01 pm »

Right really sorry about the long absence, I got hit by some real life. The Christmas present was ready to go, but I lost the photos. For an anvil stand, just use a stump.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 07:04:58 am »

Unfortunately I'll be working on either an uneven concrete floor or an uneven hard dirt floor, on neither of which I'll be able to make a hole... which means there's no way a stump would be stable.

Besides, I like anvil stands. It's what I trained with, and they're easy to pull around, or to put a step in so you can jump up on when upsetting and all that :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2012, 08:58:30 am »

So I finally managed to spend 5-6 hours forging yesterday, after setting up the workshop during the weekend. I pulled off a slightly crappy set of vee-bit tongs for 16mm square. They'll work... They'll be given a home soon too, as there's at least one person who's become interested in them!

Here's the pics! :)

Spoiler: Full tongs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: One side of the jaws (click to show/hide)

They're fairly low quality. I could've used a rasp and a vise to remove kinks, neither of which I have at this point. I used to be able to do them much quicker and much better, but it'll take time to get back to that level. Still, I'm really happy that they are functional and that I was able to forge for 6 hours pretty much non-stop with  a hand cranked blower. I'll do a few more sets and then move on to some project that I still have to decide on :)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:56 pm »

So I finally managed to spend 5-6 hours forging yesterday, after setting up the workshop during the weekend. I pulled off a slightly crappy set of vee-bit tongs for 16mm square. They'll work... They'll be given a home soon too, as there's at least one person who's become interested in them!

Here's the pics! :)

Spoiler: Full tongs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: One side of the jaws (click to show/hide)

They're fairly low quality. I could've used a rasp and a vise to remove kinks, neither of which I have at this point. I used to be able to do them much quicker and much better, but it'll take time to get back to that level. Still, I'm really happy that they are functional and that I was able to forge for 6 hours pretty much non-stop with  a hand cranked blower. I'll do a few more sets and then move on to some project that I still have to decide on :)
They look really nice :)

And, posting to follow :P
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2012, 08:52:21 am »

Here's some pics from the tong forging. Sorry about the bad quality!

Welding the anvil stand:

After forging the bits, cut off excess for reins:

Forging the reins:

Punching the rivet hole:

Finally, forging the rivet itself. It was getting late :)

Unfortunately, the person who was taking photos came in helpful for the rivetting part, so there's no photos of that process specifically.

Hope you guys enjoy it :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:35:32 am by Anvilfolk »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 03:50:28 pm »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, another set of tongs, that actually turned out worse :( I'm really sad about that, but I've identified what went wrong, and I think I might be able to fix it.

Full tongs:

The bits and hinge plate:

The other side:

The bits seen from the front. You can see one hinge plate is thinner, and there's spacing between the two:

At least the rounding finish on the reins is a lot better than on the first set... something's gotta be better!:

I'll probably do a couple more sets and then try to do an actual project! Practice, practice, practice :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 07:36:23 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAND besides another set of tongs this weekend, I did a fire-rake. The previous one was mangling my fingers...

Here's the new fire-rake, made out of 20x6mm bar.

Spoiler: Fire-rake (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: It works nicely... (click to show/hide)

For the tongs I used longer bar. It's still 16mm square, but now I used 21cm for each side. That made them a whole lot more robust. I'm also using a 2.75 pound hammer now. It has a shorter handle, making it much easier to lift than I expected, compared to my usual 1.5 pound hammer. It moves metal faster, and having more material means I don't need to move as much metal. Either way, here are the usual pics...

Spoiler: Full set of tongs (click to show/hide)

Hope y'all enjoyed this, especially since it's not all tongs this time around...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10