Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.  (Read 21299 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:17 pm »

Sooo, I did get to forge a little but more while in Portugal, but not much... however, I did take my last week off before emigrating to the US to forge a little project that wasn't just more tongs...

Here's the result, in crappy crappy photos!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope you guys liked it - took about 3 days to do, though if I had decent tooling it would've taken much less :)

Trying to see if setting up a community forge or something is a possibility here in the US, since I can't really afford it otherwise. Let's hope so...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 01:58:29 pm »

Was it designed to hold a single orange?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2013, 02:00:16 pm »

Excellent question... I think it was mostly designed just to exist, and hopefully be slightly pleasing to the eye? There are quite a few more things I could've done to it, like add a perpendicular piece to the top so it could hold a bowl (of oranges?! Who knows?)...

It also doesn't have a ton of balance... I had a nicer system planned, but again, ran out of time :(

If only I could get a forge set up close by around here, I'd forge almost every freaking day!

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »

Forged table

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2013, 08:30:46 pm »

Nice :) I hope you can get us some photos of the details in the legs and joinery when they're not covered in snow! :)

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2014, 02:05:43 pm »

An unfinished firepoker and stand to go with it. I need to adjust the stand a bit, I don't like how it's crooked. The stand assembled with rivets.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »

Looks good so far, hope to see it when it's done.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2014, 03:06:47 pm »

Nice!!!

Looks like you opened the top using a chisel, cutting from both sides? It's usually a good idea to put it in a vise and cut it from the top. That can remove the gradual cut you can still see from where you opened it out to horizontal. Just gotta hammer it from the top :)

It does look slightly crooked, but you should be able to straighten it out cold! Do post back :D

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2014, 05:58:51 am »

I would have had something to show tonight but the bronze I received was unusable. Monday for sure.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2014, 06:32:21 am »

Rise from your grave!

So I've started to make a forge to do some blacksmithing.

Spoiler: Warning, BIGHUEG image (click to show/hide)

The charcoal will go in the steel brake disk. I wanted a brake drum, but couldn't get hold of one.
I've used a steel can to attach the exhaust pipe. I'm going to chop the exhaust pipe up and make a t-piece. The T-piece will get air through the horizontal part of the t-piece (either with bellows or a hair dryer with the heating element removed) and ash will fall down into a bucket that i'll fill to make a water seal. I'll use either bricks or cinderblocks to make a stand for it.

It should get hot enough to heat steel enough I can shape it or melt aluminium for sand-casting.

The anvil i'm using is an old anchor weight. I need to sand down the surface i'm using to make it flat, but at the moment it's just a big painted block of steel, so there's no point taking pictures of that.

Soon, I hope to make some knives and the like.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2014, 09:57:11 am »

AW man, everybody always goes for the knives... I wish people would also try other things!

Keep us posted though! More pictures = more good!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2014, 10:01:20 am »

Well, i'll go for a sword or axe head, but I want to get some practice in first, and there's not really anything else I can think of to make. No much point in pokers if you don't have a fireplace.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2014, 10:02:54 am »

fold your metal a brazillion times and create a toy anvil with the force of your own rage

really there's a lot of shit you can forge, point is whenever you make things because you like to make things or the utility of said things

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2014, 10:36:52 am »

You can make tongs, all kinds of tools for yourself (chisels, punches, hot cuts, hardy tools, scrolling wrenches, etc), wall hooks of lots of different shapes and styles, candle holders (your imagination is the limit). There's soooo much stuff that isn't a blade... that requires hours of grinding, making whatever forging you've done largely irrelevant.

I'm not really an example, but here's some stuff I made with limited forging time a year ago.

You can also scroll back on this thread and see some pretty awesome things other people have made :)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2014, 10:53:18 am »

How would I curve metal? I don't have any surfaces I could curl it against. My 'anvil' is just a flat, square-ish block.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10