Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51423 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #465 on: June 27, 2012, 06:48:30 pm »

Uncovered chainmail still becomes very hot to the touch on the surface that is facing the sun.  And if we know our thermodynamics, then it's difficult to be an effective radiator if your radiator is already being heated by the sun.  Beyond that, it becomes very hot to touch if you do ever have the need to touch any part of your body.

Although really, even covered platemail would be very hot, as your body heat wouldn't escape very well, never mind the sunlight.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 27, 2012, 06:54:35 pm »

Plate mail could be arranged in a very ventilating way. It's not like it's one solid plate covering your entire body.
And I'd imagine most people wearing chainmail would be wearing gloves of some sort. I would, at least.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:24 pm »

BUMP!  I stopped by the local board game store (that place that /tg/ hangs out) and they're interested in buying dicebags for $10-$15 each!  But not right now.  Being summer, college students are away, and the real business picks up when college is back in session.

It's time to get serious again.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 17, 2012, 11:05:13 pm »

Colorful or metal dicebags?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2012, 04:29:56 am »

Get them to pay you in boardgames! It'll be a win-megawin situation!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #470 on: July 18, 2012, 08:09:42 am »

BUMP!  I stopped by the local board game store (that place that /tg/ hangs out) and they're interested in buying dicebags for $10-$15 each!  But not right now.  Being summer, college students are away, and the real business picks up when college is back in session.

It's time to get serious again.
How long does it take you to make each one?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 18, 2012, 08:13:09 am »

Get them to pay you in boardgames! It'll be a win-megawin situation!
Not a bad idea. I'd prefer the money if I was girlinhat (mostly becuase I don't have all that much of it), but its still pretty nifty an idea.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 18, 2012, 11:12:44 am »

Congrats on the business opportunity. I'd try doing the same thing in my area, but the tabletop game store / hobby shop turned into some sort of LAN gaming center (big screen tvs, ps3s and xbox360s, all hooked up on one network). Maybe I'll find another hobbyshop. I should also find a new group to RP with, I haven't played a good tabletop since highschool.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 18, 2012, 11:40:28 am »

I've never been into tabletops, but I might convince myself to sit and watch as I produce new bags or bracelets.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 18, 2012, 07:54:54 pm »

I've never been into tabletops, but I might convince myself to sit and watch as I produce new bags or bracelets.

If you go in there and make the dicebags while people are gaming around you, you could easily generate more income.

Just be sure that if you are making dice bags for the store, that you don't make the same thing for customers under the table.  You probably already recognize that the site would not appreciate that, but I don't know you :)

Bring in some examples of other cool chainmain thingies, and sell those to people.  If you make a few sales of other things, you can then talk to the store owner and see if they want to buy some of those as well - or you can keep it completely separate and just make dicebags for the store, and everything else only by direct sale to you.

The simple respect you will get from most people for making cool stuff will almost guarantee you some sales above and beyond dicebags if gamers actually see you making them, and you can show them a few examples of other things.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »

People like neat stuff.
People that hear the word chainmail used a lot are probably at least slightly interested in how it looks made for real. Or want a dicebag.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:37 pm »

Doing some work in the store during a game or business would probably help. It would interest people (it's interesting to watch chainmail being created - definitely something people would notice, getting them interested in your products), and you could also sell custom dice bags. For a bit extra, of course.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #477 on: July 19, 2012, 05:46:08 am »

Even better... offer lessons in making chainmail. You'll make more money on lessons.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 19, 2012, 11:01:47 am »

Even better... offer lessons in making chainmail. You'll make more money on lessons.

[cynical/]Initially, maybe, but then all future chainmail sales will be stymied by the people you taught as competition, and unless you work up some sort of contract they might even start selling to the store and knocking you out of the market. [/cynical]
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #479 on: July 19, 2012, 11:33:02 am »

[cynical/]Initially, maybe, but then all future chainmail sales will be stymied by the people you taught as competition, and unless you work up some sort of contract they might even start selling to the store and knocking you out of the market. [/cynical]
You're overestimating the number of people who will actually keep up with making the chainmail once they realize it is actual work. How do you think people make money on piano lessons, or karate lessons, or anything else? They aren't pushed out of the market because now everyone knows how to play the piano or do karate. Same with lessons on blacksmithing or any other profession. Only a small percentage of the people paying for lessons are going to follow through, and many of those will do it only as a hobby and not as a business. And even if they do, you will have name recognition that they do not and an established deal with the gaming shop.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33