Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51419 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #450 on: May 22, 2012, 04:26:34 am »

I've been meaning to try CIR, it's another pattern with completely independent rows that you can make with 50% closed rings, so I could make it with 50% stretchy rubber rings and have a stretchy one.
I don't think that would go very well - past making it, that is. The point of CIR is that it's rather firm. What would you be using it for?
A bracelet. I'm not the only one to have had the idea: http://www.etsy.com/listing/96571318/ruby-red-and-black-stretchy-cir-bracelet
(it seems to work quite well, although that one doesn't actually have any captives)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:29:26 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 22, 2012, 04:03:25 pm »

That's a bit different than I imagined. Yeah, you should do that. There are some good color combinations that could work. Without the captive rings, though. I don't think it would work with them. But it's probably worth trying.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 29, 2012, 05:04:27 am »

Box chain on the left (looks better stretched) and CIR on the right. With captives (it doesn't hold its shape very well without).
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 06, 2012, 11:35:40 am »

So, I'm setting up on Etsy. Any tips?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 25, 2012, 08:32:20 pm »

I don't know much about chainmail, but that dragonscale stuff looks incredibly strong--force diffusing. Actually, if I'm not terribly mistaken, a similar layering of plates (ceramic disks attached to Kevlar instead of wire rings looped through each other) is used to make that cool new neo-scale-mail Dragonskin or whatever bulletproof vest that is supposed to be so much better.

It seems to work for alligators, right? I hear they used to be considered at least partially bulletproof (in the musket days)!

I kind of wonder if a (looks pretty stiff, is it called a plate or a sheet?) of dragonscale weave with the rings arc-welded shut (man, that would take a while) wouldn't be more puncture resistant than the normal ballistic armour, although pretty heavy. Definitely more flexible than a metal plate though.

...hmm. Thinkgeek sells bulletproof clipboards, I wonder what it would take to cut them into scales... Knight's armour updated to the modern age!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »

You could just buy scales for scalemail if you wanted to do that, the only thing you'd need to consider is how to have the 'bulletproof' part work. Chainmail is more a stabbing protect than a bullet protect.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 26, 2012, 02:22:01 am »

I don't know much about chainmail, but that dragonscale stuff looks incredibly strong--force diffusing.

Dragonscale is actually only as strong as the weaker of the two Euro 4-in-1 weaves it's made of, according to somewhere on The Ring Lord.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 26, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Hmm. I didn't really mean "bulletproof" in the sense of modern armour, but something partially effective both against blades (beats cloth-based bulletproofing) and projectiles (takes out small portions of traditional chainmail without transfering force to other links) without being solid (a steel plate works against both, but isn't very wearable!)

I guess that stuff isn't THAT strong, but I have a feeling it might provide a little more blunt-force protection than some other chainmails due to the way it would turn a push into a levering of the rings against each other. You punch it in and it tries to move all the other rings nearby with it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #458 on: June 26, 2012, 02:51:37 pm »

Hmm. I didn't really mean "bulletproof" in the sense of modern armour, but something partially effective both against blades (beats cloth-based bulletproofing) and projectiles (takes out small portions of traditional chainmail without transfering force to other links) without being solid (a steel plate works against both, but isn't very wearable!)

I guess that stuff isn't THAT strong, but I have a feeling it might provide a little more blunt-force protection than some other chainmails due to the way it would turn a push into a levering of the rings against each other. You punch it in and it tries to move all the other rings nearby with it.
But you WANT it to transfer force to the links around it. That is how armor works, by spreading the energy of a blow over as wide an area as possible.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 26, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

What you're describing is basically scalemail. Lots of tiny plates. Scalemail is the best armor.
Dragonscale isn't very flexible. A plate mail suit would be more wearable than one made of the dragonscale like I made. Probably lighter, too, depending on the plates' thickness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:07 am »

Dragonscale is thick.  It's Euro 4-1 woven inside another sheet of Euro 4-1, and not really much else.  It looks very nice, and the sheer weight will provide protection, but if I had my choice of armor I'd go for some 6-1 or 8-2 (Kingsmail, or "double 4-1") instead.

Chainmail is made to protect against slashes.  Namely swords and sometimes axes, though many axes are just small-contact blunt weapons so take that as you will.  It's hard to cut through chainmail because you end up gliding your blade along many rings, and the armor will deform slightly and "cup around" the blade to provide a larger contact area and thus a smaller PSI-force.  However, chainmail is NOT made to protect against piercing weapons.  When a speartip hits chainmail, it hits one or two rings, and at any respectable force it will simply pop the rings open and slice right through them.  Once a few rings are destroyed like that, the piece loses its structure and the spear doesn't have to shove through as many because the sheet will give way more easily.  This is even worse for bullets, being such a small projectile, they only need to get through one right.

So imagine that you've got one ring set in a vice, and a sharpshooter with a handgun shoots that ring.  You can imagine it's not going to do anything to really stop the bullet.  Chainmail is terrible protection from bullets.

Scalemail is made by taking leaf-shaped pieces of metal sheet and layering them one over another.  Many times you get the whole thing four sheets thick, as the overlap densely, so you'd not only have to penetrate one scale, but you'd need to get through 3-4 of them, depending on how large they are and how your body is flexing to shift the weave a little.  Some type of solid titanium scales would probably be pretty effective at stopping bullets, but titanium is extremely expensive stuff, and ultimately I'm going to fall back on my old excuse.  "I'm just getting into this, but others have spent their whole lives researching this.  I'm going to trust their experience."  My logic here would be that ceramics are much cheaper, not to mention incredibly lighter and easier to replace.  Not to mention the function.  Metal armor serves to be brutally thick.  If it's heavy, then things just can't get through it.  Ceramics, however, rely on more reactions, they're intended to break and to diffuse pressure as they fracture.  It's a very active defense, compared to "lol imma brick wall."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 27, 2012, 12:45:42 pm »

Ceramics are also less likely to burn your hands with painfulness in summer if you leave your scalemail outside.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 27, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »

This is why you see crusader nights wearing long robes with the cross on the front.  It's to keep the sun from turning their armor into a personal oven.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 27, 2012, 05:17:52 pm »

Hey, I walked some 12400 meters is chainmail. In my experience, as long as there is a breeze, chainmail acts like a radiator.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »

Chainmail keeps cool - it has a large surface area, not all of which is exposed to the light, and many gaps. Uncovered plate mail is like walking around wearing an oven. Scalemail is almost as bad, I'd imagine.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33