Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51444 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »

Girlinhat, Metalcrafter has been possessed!
Girlinhat has claimed a patio!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a driftwood training sword.  All craftsdwarfship is really pretty terrible.  It is composed of partially rotten deck wood.  It is adorned with hanging rings of shame and guilt.

My neighbors moved out a few months ago, and the landlord ripped up and replaced the deck for the new tenants.  I claimed the best piece of lumber to hit the trash pile, and let it sit on the patio for a few months as I figured out what to do with it.  Then two weeks ago, we were cleaning off the patio and I said "what's the dwarfy thing to do?"

Reciprocating saw used to cut the 2x4 into a cross shape, and then a hatchet used to chisel it down to "blade edge" shape, finally using a hand-saw to "shave off" the top layer of wood to gently reshape it, and a pass of sandpaper to smoothen it all out.  So, for the most part, this is entirely worked by hand.  The one side has been hatcheted down to an angle, the other has had some smoothing with the saw.  The hilt fell off, as the wood is mostly rotten and it just too an accidental whack to knock one side of the hilt off, so I took the other side off as well.  It is now a guardless sword with 1/4 of a blade and the handle isn't rounded yet either.

Didn't feel like making a new thread for this abomination :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2012, 01:03:28 pm »

Why are your massive ears not visible in your shadow?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #407 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:49 pm »

More important: Why is there a plastic bottle of pee on the deck?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:57 pm »

That's water flavored with Mio.  It's... I don't know, "green flavor".  It's one of those not-flavors like "riptide fury" that doesn't let you know what it actually tastes like.  Sorta apple-ish.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:15 pm »

Oh good. Taper the wood a bit more towards the point and you've a proper training sword. Yours wouldn't cause any accidental injuries.

Looks nice though, considering what you started with.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »

So we are posting pictures of our wooden weapons now? Sweet. Time to dust off my collection. Now where did I put that battleaxe...
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 29, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »

I love the look of saw cut rings for the dice bag, gotta get me some of those!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2012, 09:22:07 pm »

Also leave a completed sample at the store.

Question: On a scale of 10 to 10, how fabulous does a chain mail shirt look when it's made from colored rings?

About 1.9 Gigafabulosities.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:13 pm »

Thread is slow again, allow me to kick it off with terrible news.

I shall not be building anything outside anytime soon as the fabulous early summer (40 degrees Celsius) decided to go back to the dreary early spring (-10 degrees Celsius). Also it is raining. Now, discuss metal things, post pictures of metal things and make me happy again please :|

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 01, 2012, 07:47:00 pm »

Thread is slow again, allow me to kick it off with terrible news.

I shall not be building anything outside anytime soon as the fabulous early summer (40 degrees Celsius) decided to go back to the dreary early spring (-10 degrees Celsius). Also it is raining. Now, discuss metal things, post pictures of metal things and make me happy again please :|

Fine. You want interesting stuff, here take it. Now make your own.

Spoiler: Battleaxe (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tanto (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Longbow (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shield (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Claw things (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Armor stand with armor (click to show/hide)
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2012, 03:48:10 am »

What size rings did you use for that?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 02, 2012, 05:36:29 am »

I used half inch rings. It was my first project, so I wanted to get a feel for the technique before I went crazy.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 02, 2012, 12:33:05 pm »

Very nice claw things! I also think the armor stand is a good idea!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:22 pm »

Lol massive 1/2" rings.  Still, I might try a shirt that size just because it would be quicker than using traditional sizes.

Unfortunately I got fed up with the sword and chopped it apart, it's now about 1/3-1/2 as long, due to an infuriating knot that was giving me fits, and I'm having trouble smoothening the end into a tapered point.  It's becoming quite a bit irritating and I may give up on the whole thing due to poor quality wood.  May get another piece of lumber though, should be cheap to get.

I've been extending on the dicebag a bit, need to find my camera...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 03, 2012, 01:39:39 am »

Get yourself i piece of red cedar or something and make something that you could actually kill someone with through blunt force, but which still looks swordy.
Also, hey that shield looks decent, at least it's not a buckler !
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33