Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51458 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #360 on: March 09, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »

img.ie works too, if you run out of photobucket bandwidth.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2012, 08:03:45 am »

To resurrect the thread:

I've bought a small number of rings from beadsisters for testing materials and sizes and things, specifically:

Scales:
100 black anodised aluminium scales (sc-blk-100)
20 blue anodised aluminium scales (sc-bl)
20 green anodised aluminium scales (sc-gr)

Anodized aluminium:
100 mixed anodized aluminium jump rings - id 5mm - 1.29mm (rd4-50almix)

Rubber:
100 black EPDM o-rings - id 6.4mm - 1.63mm (rd6-64blkrb)

Stainless steel:
100 stainless steel saw cut jump rings - id 4.2mm - 1.02mm (rd3-40scstsl)
100 stainless steel saw cut jump rings - id 5.2mm - 1.29mm (rd4-50scstsl)
100 stainless steel saw cut jump rings - id 6.7mm - 1.63mm (rd6-64scstsl)
(all approx AR 4)

Aluminium:
500 bright aluminium jump rings - id 5mm - 1.29mm (rd4-50bral-500)
500 bright aluminium jump rings - id 6.7mm - 1.63mm (rd6-64bral-500)
100 bright aluminium jump rings - id 5mm - 1.63mm (rd4-64bral)
(the first are a recommended size for joining the scales, and match the anodized ones, the next are a good match for the rubber rings and the last should be a good edging for the test bracelet I'm planning. The first two also are close matches to the steel rings for comparison)

Just waiting for them to arrive, will then post some pictures of things I make :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:05:22 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:42 pm »

Anyone here ever tried to use helical coils for chain work?  Standard keyrings are helical coils.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2012, 10:42:36 am »

That would be "split rings" in chainmail terms.  They do sell them, but they're not as popular.  You're generally paying for extra machining work for lower quality.  Though the sell them in "coined" and "uncoined" varieties, depending on whether or not the overlap point is indented or not.

Although there is the benefit that you can pick up a 300 pack of cheap mini-keyrings at almost any store, they do suffer because they are cheap mini-keyrings.  You're not likely to sell them, if that's your goal, and they look tacky when used at their best.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2012, 04:47:14 am »

That would be "split rings" in chainmail terms.  They do sell them, but they're not as popular.  You're generally paying for extra machining work for lower quality.  Though the sell them in "coined" and "uncoined" varieties, depending on whether or not the overlap point is indented or not.

Although there is the benefit that you can pick up a 300 pack of cheap mini-keyrings at almost any store, they do suffer because they are cheap mini-keyrings.  You're not likely to sell them, if that's your goal, and they look tacky when used at their best.

Well, if I ever try to make a set of chain mail again, I'll probably use helical coils made of good steel, they are pretty darn cheap and a LOT lighter than the 5/16th inch lockwashers in a 1-4 pattern that I made once.  Never got very far in the chain set, but we did wrap it over a small watermelon and test it against a 60lb pull bow with a field point and it stopped the arrow.  Broke the watermelon inside.  Full set of that stuff would have weighed well over 200 lb and would have to have been designed with extremely heavy leather unders to protect the shoulders from the weight.  I'll dig out the remnants of the lockwasher stuff and post an image for giggles.

Wow, found a bracer that I didn't realize I still had.  Made a bunch of them for gifts and didn't remember keeping any, but apparently I kept one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here it is being worn.  Same material and pattern that was used to stop arrows.  Made of 5/16 inch lockwashers before the od to id ratio of lockwashers available to me easily changed so they wouldn't connect 1 in 4 and still be flexible at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:22:50 am by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2012, 12:38:39 pm »

I like that leather clasp. Where did you get it?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »

That looks far more like real mail than anything using wire, except half your washers should be closed and the other half riveted, but still they're flat and barely fit together which is about right.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 19, 2012, 06:09:40 am »

I hold the utmost respect for anyone who ever makes hand-riveted mail.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:35 am »

1.6mm (14awg) aluminium is hard to bend. Haven't tried the steel yet O.o

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

From my knowledge of early and dark-age European mail, there was some butted , some rivited (both entierly and half with welded/punched rings) and some Pictish/Celtic stuff with all the rings *welded* closed. I don't even want to imagine how much of a pain that would have been.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »

1.6mm (14awg) aluminium is hard to bend. Haven't tried the steel yet O.o
Are you trying to bend it with your hands, or with pliers?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »

First one, then the other.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »

I like that leather clasp. Where did you get it?

Made it with belt parts from a local leatherworking shop.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2012, 03:38:14 pm »

First one, then the other.

Two pairs of pliers.  No other sane way to do it with really stiff metals.  I had to use 2x lineman's pliers for the washers.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »

Two pairs of pliers.  No other sane way to do it with really stiff metals.  I had to use 2x lineman's pliers for the washers.
Yeah, I'm used to working ~1mm silver, and that's pretty hard stuff, so I'm used to using twin sets of pliers. I think I might need to get some with a shorter (and wider) nose though for these thicker gauges.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33