Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51532 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2011, 05:14:43 am »

Hehe, I Googled blue aluminium, and the stuff looks almost like DF's own adamantine! :P Looking fowards to seeing what you come out with. Just watch out for demons in the packaging...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2011, 12:15:09 pm »

It is rather similar!  Although this is a bit more "blue" and less "cyan".  Strangely I got the same color in tiny and regular size, and the tiny ones look quite a bit lighter, more "sky blue".  I think this is because the smaller rings have more curves and catch more light, so you're seeing a lot more of the light reflections in the same area and all that white gives the whole package a lighter appearance.

Or I actually did order a brighter color.  Might need to double-check...

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2011, 02:43:10 pm »

Second, stabbing is one thing chainmail protects against really well.

Please don't even think about trying it with butted mail, serious injury is likely to result.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2011, 02:59:36 pm »

Second, stabbing is one thing chainmail protects against really well.

Please don't even think about trying it with butted mail, serious injury is likely to result.
Or aluminum.  It's about as protective as a soda can!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 13, 2011, 04:09:13 am »

This one is based on the local college football team colors, hoping to cash in on the religion-like fanaticism that already drives so much of the local economy.  Red aluminum with white EPDM rubber.  Can do other sports-colored ring if I have the colors available, or non-sports colors of course :P
Spoiler: Team Colors (click to show/hide)
This one, I'd actually sold a nearly-identical one just a bit ago.  I decided I liked it, and made another one!  It's dark blue beads worked onto every ring (or 2/3 of the rings, the middle row is empty) and made in a slender 3-wide bracelet.  Bright aluminum with blue glass beads and a "nickel free" clasp.
Spoiler: Crystal Blue (click to show/hide)
Do also note, that the camera is in macro mode (Super-Macro in fact!) and is a lot closer than you'd normally look at it.  The seams in the rings are visible up close, but when normally held or worn, the rings look solid and the seams are invisible.  In truth, even though I worked the rings I have trouble finding the seams when I try to tweak something.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2011, 04:49:49 am »

Those are very clean seams. A lot of rings you can buy have "=><="-shaped seams because they were cutter'd instead of saw-cut, but those are very nice and you've closed them so that the seams are all but invisible!

I'm just waiting for my latest creations to come back from hallmarking :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2011, 07:16:10 pm »

Yeah, I specifically get saw cut rings because of the very fine closure.  I might get some machine cut stainless or titanium to give it a more "masculine" and rough look, but if I'm making something worth making it's gonna be saw cut.  Plus it costs like 30 cents extra per 400 rings, that's nothing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2012, 10:01:45 pm »

Looking for opinions.  I got a great deal of Christmas cash that I'm now looking to use for a lot of rings.  I'm particularly looking at anything at The Ring Lord because they have nice prices and selections, compared to Blue Buddha Boutique who seems to deal more in smaller, expensive batches for single items.

I'm definitely getting rings to play with Dragonscale - which is apparently a very fun, but very detailed and irritating weave that I'm eager to try.  I'm also making a bondage-style collar for a dear friend of mine, only bondage "style" because it'll be butted stainless steel, not welded, so it would only hold up to light bondage play.  Not sure on the style I want to use to make that, there's different weaves and sizes possible, but it needs to be gentle enough that she can wear it in public and pass it off as a necklace.

So, to B12 at large, any suggestions on weave styles or materials to use?  Anything in specific to attempt?  I'm willing to try sterling silver or gold fill (ie, not solid gold) but that gets expensive and difficult to afford.  Other good material choices are stainless steel, bronze, brass (though both of these will age to a darker color, and can be treated with polisher), nickel silver (which contains neither nickel nor silver, and is extremely cheap), and maybe titanium, but titanium is pricy and hard to work, so I'm reluctant to do anything with titanium without proper tools.

I'd also like to say again that I'm open to commissions, and I know many of you will have some christmas money to spend or late gifts to buy, and that I'm open to getting special materials for special projects.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 01, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »

What is nickel silver then, if neither nickel nor silver?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 01, 2012, 10:10:36 pm »

Copper, nickel, and zinc - my mistake there, it does have nickel :P  But it's not silver, though it vaguely resembles silver in the same way that cat's gold resembles gold.

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 02, 2012, 12:23:51 am »

Just posting to follow, this is very interesting work.
Add magma? Why the hell not?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »

Started work on my scalemaille, if I can I willl put up some pictures.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2012, 06:44:15 pm »

I made some scale maille a few weeks back:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's an absolute bastard to make lie flat.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2012, 12:55:09 am »

I don't have any problems with it. A tip is to work small, making "patches" of maille four scales across at the widest and connect them together into larger patches.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2012, 03:01:05 am »

I can't work that way :P  For me, I'm adding rings in 3's or 1's.  That is, if I'm adding length I'll do two closed rings and one open, to add 3, but if I'm adding width then I'll add them single.  I tried the whole "put together sections" but it never worked for me.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33