Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51528 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »

Actually, zip-tied scales might fit for a steampunk/post apocalypse theme...  Give it that sloppy look.  Which it would be.  Sloppy.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2011, 03:54:48 pm »

very.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2011, 03:58:52 pm »

Finally, a week later, I've got some new wire. More galvanized steel, this time...I think it'd technically be 18 ga. I've measured it at about 1.1 mm anyhow, despite the relative impossibility of measuring it accurately. I started with a neat modification of dragonscale. Might post that on here when it's finished. I'm also planning to make a bracelet length E 4-1 chain again, using a much smaller aspect ratio. I'm interested to see how it'll compare to the larger version.

I may be getting some nice(r) metal soon! I really hope so at least.

Edit: Now I'm imagining zip-tie chainmaille. Sloppy and useless! Brilliant!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:01:01 pm by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »

I'm about halfway done with my bag. The damned thing will probably end up weighing more than the scooter I intend to put in it, but it's neat to look at.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I ordered a bit of 16g brass and bronze wire to play with, and I'm currently trying to decide what I want to make my hauberk out of. I was thinking bronze would be awesome and different, but it's too expensive to make the whole thing out of it. Stainless steel is cheaper and shiny, but regular mild steel is cheap and more authentic as well. Galvy would make me smell like a wet dog, and would be risky to braze shut, so I'm going to stay away from that.

Now I'm imagining zip-tie chainmaille. Sloppy and useless! Brilliant!
Perhaps if you did like a oriental-style weave, where the zipties took place of the smaller connecting rings. I 'unno  :-\.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2011, 10:11:54 pm »

There's only one way to weave proper scalemail, so there's no real "other way" to make it look neat.

Mild steel will rust, you know.  A fairly inexpensive option, but also wears down over time.  If you're going to invest in it, I say invest for real and go stainless.  Be bad to save $20 using another material, only to have it ruin, y'know?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2011, 11:23:18 am »

These ones are nickle plated, and extra thick. They shouldn't rust but if they do, it might look like dragon scales.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2011, 11:42:05 am »

I was more referring to Eidolon's material options with that last post.

Also my package should be arriving any day now.  Eagerly camping out the mailbox~  I think I'll take pics, in case anyone is curious what to expect when ordering online.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »

I got my stuff in the mail today, I'll probably bring pics here later for what I've started if my little phone's camera isn't crap, since our normal camera be lost.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:50 am »

I'm curious about these balls of steel. They also have brass balls if that's more of your thing.
Aside from something phallic, you could probably make some neat little ring-enclosed balls for jewelry.

I can't tell you how many times I rewrote this to take out double-entendres.

Edit: They also have carbide balls, how exotic!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:24:41 am by Eidolon »
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2011, 11:17:07 am »

Just got an email from theringlord saying that my scales will arrive around november 1. I love living in canada.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2011, 02:40:03 pm »

Awesome. Turns out I'm going to be able to order some rings somewhere from tomorrow to Monday. Plan to get a pile of aluminum, stainless steel, and a bit of bronze. I'm still trying to get the nonsense sorted out in my head, as this is my first time buying the stuff, so any advice would be pleasant.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »

One thing to keep in mind is the difference between the AWG and SWG gauge systems. I'm pretty sure theringlord does their stuff in SWG. I ordered some 14g rings from them, which is closer to 12g AWG if I remember correctly.

Anyways, just look at the actual measurement and make sure it's close enough to what you need.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »

My most basic advice would be "get same-sized rings, and a bunch".  Like I got 18g 1/8" rings in aluminum and bronze, and just started toying.  Once you've gotten some experience working in a "basic" and uniform size, then start to vary it up a bit and experiment.

My rings should be arriving anytime between last saturday and the 31st...  The mailbox has never been watched so closely before!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2011, 03:11:30 pm »

Looking at the site for TRL, they show both sizes, but the AWG size is in parethesis.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2011, 07:45:54 pm »

Yeah, I think I've got the gauge stuff figured out for the most part, using the two different ones I have here to compare. Getting same sized rings sound like a good idea for now, as I don't want to have a confusing mish-mash of sizes that don't go together. (If say, I plan on making dragonscale and end up having sizes that don't work well) I think I'm going to go with 16 ga for now, as I find the size nice. Uncertain about ring size, though I'm planning an AR between 4ish to 6ish.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33