Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51469 times)

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2011, 07:26:43 am »

Actually, from my bit of work at fake scalemail (using catfood can pop tabs) it would probably mesh pretty good with the Euro chainmail, even easier with Oriental because of how it's set up.  If anything, I'd like to see a chainmail shirt with a scalemail "bra" piece.  It would help accentuate the manly/generous chest, depending on gender.
You could also go with lamellar and when lacing the lames, lace it into the maille as well. Then you won't need any backing for the scales.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2011, 06:06:06 pm »

So I keep hearing that chainmail works great as a heat-sink, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me why. I understand it has a lot of surface area and it conducts heat well, but does it actually conduct and then radiate heat out your body heat any faster than your body would normally radiate it out (with everyday clothing on)? In other words, are you actually any cooler when wearing mail over clothing compared to without the mail, or is it just less uncomfortable than someone might think?
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »

So I keep hearing that chainmail works great as a heat-sink, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me why. I understand it has a lot of surface area and it conducts heat well, but does it actually conduct and then radiate heat out your body heat any faster than your body would normally radiate it out (with everyday clothing on)? In other words, are you actually any cooler when wearing mail over clothing compared to without the mail, or is it just less uncomfortable than someone might think?
I don't really know much about why, but I assume it'd be like the time I was out one night with my telescope. It was about 0 Celsius out, but I was fine with that. What really got me back inside was the fact that my hands practically turned to solid ice handling the metal fiddly things on it. I believe it has to do with conductivity, but I don't know how it works with cold.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2011, 08:04:55 pm »

It's essentially a radiator.  Metal does a fantastic job of conducting heat in all directions.  A metal frying pan will burn you much faster than a rock at the same temperature, because metal works very fast to equalize its heat.  If you've got a 98 degree body radiating heat, and airflow around you, then the metal will do a fantastic job of keeping you cool.  Metal is cool, so it absorbed heat from your body, and then the air is cooler so it quickly dissipates heat to the air.  The various curves and links of the rings act exactly like a radiator, increasing surface area while also increasing airflow, so it doesn't trap heat, your body still dissipates heat at about the same rate as normal, but it has the added boost of having metal sucking out the heat.

I made a failed belt, and while it wasn't a good belt, I would put my hair in a ponytail and put the belt over my neck when I was outside coiling more wire, and it did a fantastic job of keeping me cool.  It gets upwards of 90 degrees here on a normal summer day, there's serious concern for heat stroke to the point where parents have to watch their children and you're discouraged from mowing the grass until sundown.  Normally, I'd stand 15 minutes of coiling wire, but with the belt draped over I could go 45 or an hour and do alright.

A metal scarf is really the equivalent of a wool scarf, it's going to do fantastic at regulating heat.  It's gotten cooler here now, turned autumn, but come spring I'm going to make sure and have an aluminum scarf ready, probably some sort of sleeves as well.  I'd highly suggest it for anyone living in a warm climate, or who enjoys hiking/working out/etc.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »

You actually articulated one of the key elements right here - the surface area.  More bits of metal touching air and therefore transferring heat = faster rate of cooling.  Because of the (greatly) increased surface area over that of your body (also other reasons well outlined by Girlinhat) the mail sheds heat faster than your body alone.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2011, 09:21:44 pm »

I will point out that it works best on exposed skin.  Like if you're wearing short sleeves, then the arms work best.  It doesn't work amazingly well worn under or on top of clothing, as it needs contact with the skin and airflow.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:38 pm »

Wow, thanks for the fantastic answers. It also gets 100+ in the summer where I live (although that's dry heat), so some chainmail garments might be nice for the next summer.

I've got a nylon shirt that doesn't really trap heat at all and is really thin, a chainmail shirt could be worn over the top of it and still probably conduct heat pretty well. Plus it would keep the wheel-grinders at work from sucking in my shirt and ripping it to shreds (painful but hilarious to watch happen to someone else :P).

In other news, I have a nice patch of E4-1 of about 400 1/2" rings now, absolutely love the way the stuff feels. A cute girl told me today that it was "freaking awesome". From that incident, I can only conclude that chainmail must be the key to getting the ladies.  8)
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2011, 10:23:40 pm »

It's not a bad way.  Partially worked for me already 8)  The trick is to be making it in public, like show up early to a college class and sit in the room weaving a bit, or waiting for the bus, or whatever.  Little old ladies go to the park and knit scarves.  I try to sit around coffee shops and twist metal.  In fact, most people say that's the #1 easiest was to gain attention, and often gain sales.  If you're quick with the weave, you can have someone ask you about it and make them a bracelet as you talk.

To that end, I'm thinking about how to conveniently carry rings.  I'm thinking something like a climbing hook, with dozens of rings hanging off, so that it would be easy to slide one off neatly.  Something like a paper spike would work wonderfully for keeping closed rings in place.  Maybe something magnetic would work for keeping open rings tidy...  Hmm...

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:28 pm »

I have a small plastic container for my rings. I just stuff it full and put it and my pliers in my pocket. I have really deep pockets though :P. My belt which I as working on goes around my arm like a bracelet until I work on it. Some of the reactions are really funny, as people try not to stare. And fail.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:57:18 pm by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:09 pm »

Purses definitely help, hehe.  I generally travel light, but my pants either have shallow pockets or none.  I like tight girl pants...  So, phone and wallet and pliers and a whole box of rings in my purse!  I usually travel light anyways, so fitting it in is very easy.  It's tubes of these that fit into a larger plastic box, 6 of them total.  Despite the apparently small size, I can fit my blue bead bracelet into one of the chambers, and I managed to fit all of my aluminum and bronze rings, as well as all of my beads and some assorted odd-material rings into the case.  It's extremely convenient.  This is the full sized case.  The Michael's store in town recently moved to within walking distance of my house, it's wonderful~

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2011, 02:40:41 am »

I can only conclude that chainmail must be the key to getting the ladies.  8)

I have been accused of trying to seduce via chainmaille.  This was a dirty lie - but nonetheless, I assure you it works.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2011, 03:52:13 pm »

I have been accused of trying to seduce via chainmaille.  This was a dirty lie - but nonetheless, I assure you it works.
Well, I do need a sig...

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »

Apparently my art teacher thinks that my making chainmaille is a side effect of that one project I did last month (in actuality, it's kinda the opposite) and is considering it all to count towards said project, so I get a reason to bring all my chainmaille stuff to school and show it off. 8)

Amusingly, I had a girl come up to me today and ask, "What's a chainmaille?" and my explanations are terrible, so now I've got another reason to take the stuff in.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2011, 05:27:12 pm »

Alright, time for me to (finally) buy some rings!  I scrounged up some $70 that I intend to spend on rings and maybe beads.  Precious metals get expensive, so I don't plan on fancy things yet, but rubber rings, aluminum rings, and stone beads are cheap enough.  Any general thoughts or suggestions?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2011, 06:10:18 pm »

Well, I do need a sig...

Sweet! My first sig!

Girlinhat is striking a menacing pose.  CatalystParadox is making a plaintive gesture.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33