Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51451 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »

I was meaning the gloves fabric patern/style/stich up. Ide not be able to afford the jewels 0.o

anyways:
i was thinking: Take a glove, link the chains in with the stitching or under it at the seems, reinforcing it, put dragonscale across the back and a few reinfocement strands under the palm. Put over the nuckles and maybe the first finger segment as well, but just the front, not on the inside, so a semi-cylinder, with maybe a studd or a skull etc on the nuckle/just behind it. You could then i suppose have an arm sleave from the glove backwards up the arm with dragonscale if you realy wanted a challange making patterns for the arm in a style the same as the glove, with some small catches at the wrist joint if you can do it in a comfertable way that wouldnt affect movement too much and help support the hand. Ide have to get some artist freinds to give you some gothic/metal head designs if you wanted for the sleave or the back of the hand, but the dragon scale pattern is pritty awesome. And ide be quite happy for it to be made out of a dirt cheep metal, since its value would be in the time and craftmanship rather than the material value.

Generaly, i am a metal head and my freinds are the same, but i love fantesy stuff and gothic, so to see some decent unique gloves that dont have branding all over them or made out of half-asses materials would be awesome. -though if you could get your initials on a little plate or such on the inside then go ahead, ide quite happly have the makers mark on it so long as its not dominating the peice like most stuff-

This is just a concept mind. Ide have to get a job that pays a decent wage before ide ask a comission such as this from anyone 0.0

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2011, 04:05:25 pm »

I have seen chainmail gloves being used in abbatoirs and by butchers as well, as it's very good protection against the sharp knives they use, while still flexible enough to handle meat. I was pleasantly surprised to see old technology that hasn't been surpassed by any technological marvel yet ;)

http://www.scobiesdirect.com/ItemInfo.asp?ItemDesc=Chain+Mail+Glove&ItemNo=CG4000L

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2011, 04:05:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, it's not a very good picture, but here's my bracelet. I may put pictures of my other stuff later, but that's it for now.

I don't know about gloves, but there's some pretty awesome chainmail rings out there. I was thinking about making one, but I never did because it seemed like it would be a bitch to get the size right... maybe it's easier with rubber rings, so I'll have to give it a try. I imagine you could do fingers by simply extending rings and closing the ends, but I don't think it would be too flexible. Maybe leave gaps at the joints?

Edit: Fixed picture
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:28:13 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2011, 04:17:30 pm »

Picture isn't loading.

Aluminum is pretty cheap, but if you're talking about a glove and/or sleeve, you're still getting pretty expensive, especially for the fancy weaves.  A rather wide dragonscale necklace sold for $80, primarily aluminum.  It's a bitchy weave, so much so that many just refuse to work with it, and while it does look fantastic you're going to pay for that look as well.  It's possible, probably, but a handmade shirt will get you $200+, and a dragonscale sleeve, well...  It'd never -really- wear out, being metal, but aluminum isn't the strongest material and it won't handle a lot of stress.  Stainless steel will handle abuse, but it's expensive and weighs over three times as much.  As always, trade-offs are key.  Galvanized steel isn't terrible either, but it tends to turn a little white over time and smells like wet dog, though galvy is cheaper than dirt so there's that.

I'm not so much a fan of rings myself, namely because I can't wear them :P  Slender fingers and knobby knuckles makes sure that anything that fits will get stuck, so I generally avoid rings.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2011, 04:41:07 pm »

like i said, ide have to get a job before i bought one. but £200. hmm. for a metal sleeve that would look that awesome, and if i could find a good metal probably have a look at bronze -since it dosent rust, but im sure it is v expensive-  and not wear out. would probably get 2, one cheep one made of galvy or aluminium depending and one expensive one when i got the funds together, or a pair that could be worn singularly or together.

Ide have to save alot of cash or get a good job.

Ill let you know if i have any more brain fart ideas :) this is a great thread.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2011, 04:48:27 pm »

Galvy is overall a poor material, but it's cheap and can be found in any hardware store.  I would honestly feel bad if I made anything that impressive out of a material that bad.  Bronze does not rust, but it does tarnish, turning it a darker, richer color.  It starts out sort of copper golden color, but ends up a deep sort of golden iron hue.  It doesn't look bad, honestly, especially once the entire piece has turned.  If you get half aged half shining, it looks a bit odd, but then again if this is for like, wearing to a heavy metal concert, then you may like the discolored look.  Bronze generally runs cheaper than other metals, and it's unusual to find so you might have some claim to uniqueness, as if the metal gauntlet weren't enough :P

A friend showed me a picture of her new harness, which is pure BDSM but might work well for heavy metal.  Hers is bright pink leather straps, two over the shoulders like suspenders and two around the sides under the arms, at about the rib cage, linking together in the front and back via large, thick rings.  I think, if you made it metal straps and possibly re-arranged where the straps lie, it would look positively emo!  European 10-1 would be nice and thick, and lay comfortably flat for that purpose...

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2011, 05:10:15 pm »

yeah, the only thing I'd recommend galvy for is learning and recreational purposes, not for making a product or something to wear yourself, unless you don't mind it's lesser properties. I do like working with aluminum so far, but those are the only two materials I have experience with. I'd like to work with gold or silver, but it's expensive and I'm afraid I'd scratch it, plus I'd be worried about it tarnishing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2011, 05:50:37 pm »

Neither gold nor silver will tarnish, though many of the additives might.  Sterling Silver is cut with copper, which can tarnish, but they make silver polish that works wonders.  Brass polish will also work on bronze very well.

Generally, I'd only recommend galvy for the inexpensive part, like making bracelets for young children, or the rugged cheapness, like making a large sack to put a sleeping bag into, or to hang an outdoor lantern off a patio roof.  Someone was talking about making a bag for a folding scooter out of galvy, which sounds extremely neat.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2011, 09:22:32 pm »

I just got my rings to make the bag for the scooter today. This is my first undertaking with chainmail so I'm still horribly slow, but I'll post some pictures when I start getting somewhere.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »

Protip: shape the rings first, then start weaving.  For me, that means 2 closed and 1 open per extension, so I'll count out 30 or so rings, close 20, open up 10, and then work them all together.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2011, 05:00:53 am »

wonder whats going to happen when you get a mood?
anyway, epic crafting
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2011, 08:30:33 am »

wonder whats going to happen when you get a mood?
Giant maille phallus made of phallus-rings.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2011, 09:12:57 am »

well, there is a weave called "Hilt weave", which is apparently very stiff, and chainmail hackysacks are a common project, so.... not as unlikely as you think?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2011, 11:16:07 am »

I open all the rings and thread them on one by one. My mood would be a Formal dress tuxedo made from chainmaille
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2011, 11:40:48 am »

As I've said in the other thread, I'd be in a dress more than a tuxedo, and I'm unlikely to do that because I don't tend to look as good as others in a dress.  And then the thread got derailed, so we won't go there this time.

But I do need to learn extending and narrowing...  Bikini might not be terrible, though I'd never wear it.  Bikini top + Loincloth to wear over a regular bikini.  Again, not that I'd ever wear it :P  Who goes swimming anymore?  There's carp in the water, man, I'm not into that!

Hmm, I need more formal events.  I have no excuse to wear a fancy metal dress...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33