Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51452 times)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 05:20:42 pm »

This looks crazy.

EDIT: Was wrong image.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:41:20 pm by Scaraban »
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »

That's not chainmail.  I'm pretty sure you couldn't even make that, it's just a muddled up image.

Make bracelet, make money, buy wire, fuel your addiction to chainmaille!  No one sells this stuff for profit!  They just spend all the money on wire and rings and sate their own desire to twist little metal rings!

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 06:25:19 pm »

From what I can tell, I'd say that that is European 4-1 with a really small aspect ratio, using all kinds of methods to shape it around the ball. Very crazy, at least to me.

No one sells this stuff for profit!  They just spend all the money on wire and rings and sate their own desire to twist little metal rings!
By the gods, it's true! I just can't stop making it, and in turn I think about it more and then in turn I make it more often. The ring represents this perfectly. Not to mention it's so fun and calming to flip around. I always keep a piece of it with me because of this.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it it seems like that could be a stress ball wrapped in chainmaille. I'm not certain, but I think that would be awesome. If it is not, it's still cool looking.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:29:02 pm by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 09:34:52 pm »

Ah, now that image, yeah looks like E4-1 with creative use of spacers and expanders.  I've seen plenty of hackysacks done up with chainmail, but with the rigidity that looks like a tennis ball or one of those rubber balls.

I'm currently working on a long strip of galvy E4-1 16g 3/8"-ish strip.  Ideally, it will be some 6 feet long, and I'll be able to wrap it around my waist and attach it to itself, or to a belt loop, and let the end dangle, making a sort of shawl thing.  It's also extremely fun to hold and toss around between the hands.  Extremely fiddly stuff, this chainmail...  I've though about making small rectangles and selling them as $1 "Aluminum fiddlers" because they're just too entertaining!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 10:19:46 pm »

I hear the words "aluminum fiddler" and immediately picture a robot violinist.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2011, 12:50:44 am »

Ah, now that image, yeah looks like E4-1 with creative use of spacers and expanders. 

Yep!  Chainmailling up a ball is a great way to practice expansions and contractions.  Looks like they actually started with a series of 45-degree joins from the central point, also.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2011, 08:30:26 am »

I hear the words "aluminum fiddler" and immediately picture a robot violinist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:09 pm »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2011, 01:28:03 pm »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2011, 01:17:56 pm »

Posting to watch. Also, I've been getting into this myself a bit, though I haven't done anything fancy yet. I did get some anodized aluminum and rubber rings and made myself a stretchy persian 3 in 1 bracelet. Pro tip: You don't absolutely need toothless pliers to work with alluminum, just put a healthy covering of tape over the teeth and it works fine, if you don't want to splurge on pliers. So far the weaves I've done include european 4 in 1 to 10 in 1, dragonback, byzantine, and persian 3 in 1. I still have plenty of rubber and anod. aluminum rings (I bought 900 and 600 of each, respectively), so if someone wants a bracelet from one of those weaves message me and we can work something out. Not sure if I can do a stretchy bracelet in dragonback, I may have to do some science on that one.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »

Curse my inability to buy stuff from online! I've been out of wire since Friday. Should get some more tomorrow, though. I'd love to get some anodized aluminum rings. And silverskull, that idea with tape is genius, I shall be borrowing it.

On a related note, I've found that my wrist is about 18 cm (about 7") in circumference, (I think that's the right word) I have a nagging suspicion that this is a tad on the puny side. Am I wrong to think this?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

posting to watch.

Would love to see some dragonmail Gauntlets, or, some velvet gloves with dragonmail reinforcement. Think Piano player/Jackson style gloves decorated/reinforced in a gothic or celtic/runeic style.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 03:01:05 pm »

And silverskull, that idea with tape is genius, I shall be borrowing it.

I try. Right now I have scotch tape on mine, but it's kinda shoddy--while it did prevent most scratches and scrapes, there were still one or two. I think I'm gonna upgrade to electrical tape. I'll probably splurge on the pliers if I start working with precious metals like silver and gold, but for aluminum it's fine. I'm trying to get pics of some of my stuff, but my phone is currently my only camera and I'm having issues getting the pics on my computer.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 03:13:22 pm »

I'm tiny, you can tell by the OP pictures of me wearing the bracelet that I have slender and delicate wrists, and that applies to most all of my body.  My wrists fit a 7" bracelet almost perfectly, usually accommodating the small clasp and pulling comfortably tight.  "Generic" bracelets are sold at 7.5"

A quick google reveals that Michael Jackson's glove is some leather-looking glove covered in little jewels - http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34084928/ns/today-entertainment/t/michael-jackson-glove-sells/#.TpNPtLJPVi8
However, another quick search (and some prior knowledge) proves that oyster shucking legally requires chainmail gloves in certain areas, and that it's a generally preferred choice for whatever reason.  If you're just really interested in some gauntlets, some heavy oyster gloves wouldn't look bad, and would be relatively easy to get.  Halloween is coming up, as well...
http://iweb.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/162133e.jpg
Although I am curious about getting a pair of velvet or silk gloves, and adding some chainmail "studdings" or such.  It's just that gloves are difficult, on account of fingers.  Mittens would be easier, sleeves even more-so.

NINJA: They sell some "tool-magic" stuff, it's basically wax that sticks to the pliers and makes them non-scratch.  They also make nylon pliers you can find at most craft stores.  Plus if you own a grinder (like for axes) or know a neighbor that has one, or can find an old-time hardware store (Ander's Hardware locally) they might do it for you, to grind the teeth off your pliers.  Theringlord.com actually modifies most of their high-end pliers, taking commercial pliers and grinding them, often shortening the clamp for more leverage as well.  Fantastic looking tools, but the really good stainless steel pliers get expensive.  That is, pliers made for working with stainless.  I'm not sure what the pliers themselves are made from.

You might even have some luck using a bandaid or surgical tape or something to cover the teeth, depending on how sharp they are.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 03:37:33 pm »

Wow, I think making a glove like that would be an awesome project, if just a bit of a pain to do. You could grab swords and stuff! (minus having any friction to keep hold of it, I believe, but they'd still be fun)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33