Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51446 times)

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #390 on: March 23, 2012, 03:45:07 pm »

You may want to use propane for melting metal, and be very careful with what you melt. Some metals give off toxic vapors when heated. It may not matter if you are outside, but I would still avoid it.

Yes it will be outside. I was considering propane but it has become quite expensive.
I'm so sorry, but I just have to:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 23, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »

You may want to use propane for melting metal, and be very careful with what you melt. Some metals give off toxic vapors when heated. It may not matter if you are outside, but I would still avoid it.

Yes it will be outside. I was considering propane but it has become quite expensive.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Fresnel-Lens-Deathray-An-Experiment-in-Opti/
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 23, 2012, 09:17:31 pm »

...yes.  Just, yes.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 23, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »

It says Indestructable, death ray, and experiment in the link.  It was impossible to resist.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 24, 2012, 12:13:41 am »

It says Indestructable, death ray, and experiment in the link.  It was impossible to resist.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »

http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Fresnel-Lens-Deathray-An-Experiment-in-Opti/

You know what the worst part of this is? I literally saw one of those back projection televisions WITH the lense and screen intact not even half a year ago. :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 27, 2012, 08:11:42 pm »

This is a dicebag, of all things.  My client can only be described as having a "dice fetish".  She needs a supersized dicebag to hold many dice and/or novelty dice.  As such, I'm producing a massive dicebag for her.  Turquoise, silver, and brown, all aluminum.  The brown isn't in yet, but it's going to form the bottom side, and the closure for it will be a ribbon, likely black or brown, but maybe something boisterously pink or such.  18g 1/4" the silver is from TRL and the anodized is from B3.  Which I might add, B3 rings have some fuckmazing closures.  Absolutely zero burrs, absolutely clean fit.  When butted close, I have trouble telling where the seam is.  TRL tends to have a small bumping in it, where one edge of the butt is slightly above the other edge.  I'm thoroughly impressed with B3 service and quality.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2012, 07:53:23 am »

My client can only be described as having a "dice fetish".

maybe a dnd player? back when I was an awkward highschooler I played (not that you have to be an awkward highschooler to play dnd, mind you), and our dungeon master had a huge bag of dice, including a stainless steel twenty sided die the size of an apple.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:37 am »

That's pretty much her, though college.  She claims to have a large metal dice that she uses for DPS.  That is - damage to other players when she throws it.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:50 am »

that's pretty much what the stainless d20 was used for. Man, that thing left one hell of a bruise. I've thought about making myself a dice bag, but I haven't played since I started college.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:08 am »

Curiously, I noticed two game stores in a part of town I don't frequent, both of the tabletop or comic shop variety.  I may take my completed bag over there and see if they'd do resale.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2012, 10:37:35 am »

they might if they're family/individually owned, but if they're just a branch of a bigger company/franchise then probably not. If they host games then you could ask them to advertise your services though. I.e. make a flier for them to pass around or post for the attendees to see. Either way, can't hurt to ask. I'm curious myself, so post the answer here if you do ask them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2012, 10:38:40 am »

Curiously, I noticed two game stores in a part of town I don't frequent, both of the tabletop or comic shop variety.  I may take my completed bag over there and see if they'd do resale.
Ask if you can put up an advertisement flyer then print out something explaining what you can make and include little tear-off tabs at the bottom which have your etsy website and/or email address.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2012, 10:41:27 am »

Also leave a completed sample at the store.

Question: On a scale of 10 to 10, how fabulous does a chain mail shirt look when it's made from colored rings?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 28, 2012, 10:52:31 am »

Also leave a completed sample at the store.

Question: On a scale of 10 to 10, how fabulous does a chain mail shirt look when it's made from colored rings?
depends on the color, but in my opinion most solid colors would look just incredibly gaudy. Mostly because anodized rings tend to be almost garishly bright, which is fine for small works designed to catch the eye such as earrings, or a bracelet, but a whole shirt? idk. Your colors and your mileage may vary. personally I think it would be better with an inlay,or use colors for the seams or something but not the whole piece.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33