Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51459 times)

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »

Well. Seems the thread has been going slow lately. I've been toiling away at my hauberk with no real success (well, I have a few bits done). I've had a few requests to make jewelery eventually, anybody suggest good ring sizes/materials?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:55 pm »

Aluminum for weight and price, generally.  Stainless if you're going fancier, sterling silver if you're getting your swag on.  Gold if you've just gotten an inheritance and don't know what to spend it on.  Brass and copper are actually rather popular for their "rustic" or "faux-medical" appeal, bronze is a bit unique, you don't see it much, and that can work to your advantage or not.  Your silver colors won't tarnish (aluminum, stainless, titanium) but your goldens will (copper, brass, bronze, etc).  Except silver itself will also tarnish and turn.  In the end, for casual wear, I find aluminum to be lightweight, affordable (don't call it cheap), hypoallergenic, and does not rust, tarnish, or turn.  It's not just tarnish-resistant, it's just incapable of it!  Plus anodized aluminum comes in all sorts of fun colors~  Rubber also has a definite appeal, it's easier to slip it on and off, and can fit more snugly, but some people find rubber to be "childish" or "cheap" (while it actually costs more than the metal itself!).  A clasp tends to be "fancier" and will likely be the most expensive single part of the whole piece.

18g 1/4" is my favored size, it's solid and works well in a number of weaves.  Some sort of 16g 3/8" is a bit thicker, masculine, and similarly thinner will come across more feminine.  Size is your call, though large rings tend to draw attention to the rings themselves, and smaller, tighter rings draw attention to the weave and the style.  If going for anodized aluminum or enameled copper, you can show off the colors by using larger rings, while a tighter AR will tend to make colors "blur together" just a bit - for good or for bad.  You can accommodate small sized color rings by making larger color swathes.  If doing stripes, make them 5 wide instead of 3, using smaller rings, for instance.  If you're just going for generic aluminum or copper, then smaller rings can give you a tighter style, showing off the intricacy and the "bigger picture" as it were.  It can be particularly fun, to use tiny rings to make a traditional weave.  While a larger size might get 3-5 rows in, and look like interlocked chain links, a smaller size can get like 11-13 rows and really show off "proper chainmail" like you'd expect to see on a shirt, while still being small enough to wear casually, if that makes sense.

Also if you don't feel like making jewelry, you can always send business my way.  *cough* Girlinhat42@yahoo.com *cough*

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2012, 04:52:17 am »

I was about to order some silver rings from thedragonflycompany.com, when I found out that they have died :(

If anyone knows a good place to get more saw-cut silver jump rings from (in the UK) I'd appreciate a link. Preferably somewhere that works in metric sizes.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2012, 09:04:16 am »

I was planning on going with stainless because once you wash it, it won't get you dirty, while aluminum (when not anodized) oxidizes and makes quite a mess. But I'll see. Again, thanks for the tips!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:44 am »

Bright aluminum is quite a bit less messy than just plain aluminum, but you have a point.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:51 am »

Well, yes.  No one does jewelry in raw aluminum.  Always assume "bright" when referring to "aluminum".  Still, stainless is nice, though a tad "darker" than aluminum.

Also, theringlord.org is my preferred source.  Even if they've gotten some of my stuff wrong... the only other I know of is bluebuddhaboutique.com and they cost 2-4x as much.  B3 is US based, and TRL is Canada, either way it's oversees shipping, I think TRL might be cheaper for that, I know USPS shipping oversees can be hefty, though I was surprised to find that shipping to Canada costs about the same as shipping to California.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 09, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »

you can also find rings for sale on etsy or ebay, and you can get wire from the latter as well (don't know about for etsy), though obviously with those you have to worry about vendor reputation. Another supplier in the U.S. is fire mountain (www.firemountaingems.com). I ordered some rings from fire mountain and some from etsy. Fire mountain's order came promptly and they included a small pendant as a gift, which I thought was a nice touch although it didn't fit on the rings I ordered. The rings I ordered from etsy never showed up, but the seller refunded my money so I'd say I'm decidedly neutral for that vendor but the rest of the sight is pretty good if you can find a good vendor.

I like theringlord's selection, but I think their service is a little lacking. They shipped pretty slow for me (took a week and a half longer than it should have, counting for preparation time), and the packages I got were mislabeled, but other than that I haven't run into the problems Girlinhat had with quality.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »

I've found www.beadsisters.co.uk to be a good supplier. Not sure about relative pricing though...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:15 pm »

18g 1/4" looks ~4x more expensive at beadsisters compared to TRL.  400 rings for $1.70 compared to 500 at £4.25 - conversion puts that at about $5.50 with a per ring price of .011 compared to .00425... actually about 2.5x more expensive.  Even if Beadsisters is UK based and cost less shipping, you'll probably save in supplies more than you'd spend on shipping from Canada.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »

18g 1/4" looks ~4x more expensive at beadsisters compared to TRL.  400 rings for $1.70 compared to 500 at £4.25 - conversion puts that at about $5.50 with a per ring price of .011 compared to .00425... actually about 2.5x more expensive.  Even if Beadsisters is UK based and cost less shipping, you'll probably save in supplies more than you'd spend on shipping from Canada.

For that I would also recommend buying in bulk, or at least buying larger orders as though to pay less for each time shipping.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »

Bulk will also serve you better in convenience.  You may think "400 is enough to make like 5 bracelets!" but is that REALLY all you're going to do?  And when you run out you're gonna wait 2-3 weeks for more.  Overstock and re-order when you're low, not when you're out.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:54 pm »

I think I might post a picture or two of my stuff...

Hmm, flickr is taking a long time, can I link to facebook albums? I need to find a way to make it visible to anyone >_>

Frick, apparently being a minor means I can't share with anyone... Maybe I'll make a page or something. Or wait for flickr... <_<
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:28:05 pm by tommy521 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 09, 2012, 02:34:26 pm »

Photobucket works fine for me.  Everyone has their preferences, but photobucket gives you albums and a monthly free bandwidth.  I'm only now approaching the bandwidth because my forum avatar is on photobucket.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 09, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »

Photobucket works fine for me.  Everyone has their preferences, but photobucket gives you albums and a monthly free bandwidth.  I'm only now approaching the bandwidth because my forum avatar is on photobucket.

I might try that, isn't imageshack another free one? Anyways, I never really liked flickr that much, just had an account for commenting and such.

EDIT: Herpa derpa, have some pictures of my work area etc

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:53:03 pm by tommy521 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:13 pm »

Congrats on finding a sturdy drawer solution!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33