Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51476 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #315 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:16 pm »

Thinking about getting more rings. Not really a fan of anodized rings (even when I'm being careful and using the toothless pliers I got for Christmas I still end up marking them too often for my liking), and I have galvy and can get steel wire cheap close by. I might try for bronze, I like the way it looks.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 25, 2012, 11:04:16 pm »

Make sure your steel is stainless.  Mild steel will rub black against skin and clothing, and will rust.

As for an onyx+steel bracelet, that'd be fairly easy, the only question is "what kind of onyx" then.  The only -real- choice is beads, and those can be either made to dangle freely or get creative.  If I could find some the right size, I could attempt to do a bead on a wire, and do the wire inside of a steel ring, leaving it very well enclosed and very stable.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2012, 10:53:35 pm »

Got my shipment of rings in today:
.2 oz of stainless steel micromail 24g 1/16" (the smallest rings they sell, I believe).
A bag of solid stainless steel beads which are sized to fit onto my rings snugly.
Assorted lobster, hook, ring, large swivel, and tube clasps, a good variety, very fun.
A LOT of aluminum 20g 3/32" (the same as what I've been using for my pouch project).
1 ounce of stainless steel 18g 1/8"
2 ounces of stainless steel 18g 3/16"
2 ounces of stainless steel 18g 5/16"
1 ounce of stainless steel .047" square wire (about 18g-19g) 1/4"
.6 ounces of sterling silver 18g 1/4"

The square wire isn't as "square" as I thought it would be, it's rather rounded square, although the shape is still very notable, it'd match well with round wire while still adding some flavor and flare to it.
The sterling silver is fantastic.  Great color and shine, I adore this stuff.
I got a LOT more micro than I thought I did, literally thousands of rings, but I've very much enjoyed working with this size and plan to make a lot of finely detailed pieces.
The stainless sizes are perfect for Dragonscale, something I've wanted to try, so expect some fine-quality steel weaves coming up (for sale as well).
The various clasps are looking fine.  Traditional lobster and hook clasps, as well as some unique tube and ring clasps.  It all promises to add a bit of flare and feeling to finishing off a piece.

Now taking orders on all things micro!  I've overstocked on these little pain-in0the-ass rings and all items are... well, marked to sell.  I can't quite boast discounts or anything, but, you can pretend that I did I guess >.>

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finished this bracelet yesterday (this morning?  2 AM either way...) and decided to get a picture of the axe and the new bracelet.  $50 for this, crazy tiny micromail, 5+ hours of work.  In the previously mentioned thread, this axe was being debated.  It's a rather low-quality axe.  A xxsteel battle axexx at best.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92230317/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:40:54 pm by Girlinhat »

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

From the start of the thread to the end, you can see how your metalworking has improved.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2012, 09:31:04 am »

That chain is pretty sweet, i'm quite impressed with the saw cut rings.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2012, 01:11:31 pm »

For some reason I find it simultaneously hilarious and awesome that you used the picture with the axe on etsy. That will make a few people wonder.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:04 am »

Been working on some dragonscale in stainless.  Specifically, 18g 3/16" and 18g 5/16" stainless steel.  This stuff is...  I don't know.  This might break me.  The difficulty of this tight a weave along with this thickness of ring makes for some very cramped spaces where you need to bend very hard rings, a terrible combination by any account.  I'm using creative new ways to hold my pliers in order to get leverage and grip, and I'm very thankful that it's stainless steel.  My pliers slip rather often when a hold loses grip, but the tough material is virtually scratch-proof so all my little slips just result in some growling and a few curses, but no actual damage.

Very little progress, I'm afraid, but I can confirm that it's an extremely fun weave to hold.  It's tight and dense, about 2.5x or so thicker than European 4 in 1, which is a bit important because it's actually interwoven 4-1.  To be specific, it's interwoven without intermeshing.  If it were split apart, it would make two complete sheets, none of the rings are shared at all.  It's not two sheets woven together, it's two sheets with one woven inside the other.  There's no actual point where the rings connect one to another, but they are orbital and that helps keep them in place.  As much trouble as it is to make, it's very ornate and very satisfying, though I haven't built enough yet to show it off.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 07, 2012, 04:13:49 am »

Chainmail nunchaku, because fuck yeah!

Aluminium, 14G, 7/16" ID, woven into Full Persian with Boxchain interwoven at the ends to form rigid Sandworm as handles.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 07, 2012, 04:21:00 am »

Chainmail nunchaku, because fuck yeah!

Aluminium, 14G, 7/16" ID, woven into Full Persian with Boxchain interwoven at the ends to form rigid Sandworm as handles.
Very nice, but isnt there a risk of it flying apart from the weight of the handles unless it's welded?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:21 am »

The whole shebang is aluminium, so it's not very heavy, and quite strong because it's 14G wire. I reckon a steel version would also be fine (and significantly more effective for the whole whacking-stuff side of things, heh.)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2012, 10:27:36 pm »

Does anyone thinks it would be a good idea to start a "Metalworker's Guild" like those other guilds on the forums? I would enjoy a place to post my creations-to-come and to see what everybody (especially girlinhat, great stuff btw) else has to post! And that way we don't have to spam girlinhat's thread with our own creations.. out of courtesy.

EDIT: Unless, y'know, there is one. If there isn't I'd be happy to make one up.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:34:30 pm by tommy521 »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:50 pm »

I thought this was already the show off your maille thread. Girlinhat's is just more oftenly posted.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:11 am »

Just an FYI, to anyone who may want to pick up on mailing:
http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/topic/10622-terrible-clasp-quality/

I love their rings, but I probably won't be buying clasps or extra supplies again.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33