Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51497 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #300 on: January 14, 2012, 05:50:09 pm »

Interesting, I shall browse this for a little while so that I may know what I want in future. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2012, 05:54:30 pm »

I'll probably be spamming some items onto Etsy tomorrow when it gets sunlight again.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:57 pm »

Been working on this a few days.  It's extremely slow going due to the sheer size involved.  I haven't been keeping track of time, but when I've got idle time I'll chain up 15 rings or so at a time.  I'm OCD-ing on this so I'm being fairly precise about ring numbers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's supposed to be a carrying pouch, eventually.  Since I couldn't find a suitable pouch like I wanted earlier, I decided "Fuck this, I'm a Dwarf.  I'll MAKE one!"  Thus, micromail chainmail pouch, made in European 4 in 1 using 20g 3/32 bright aluminum rings.  I haven't counted yet, but I estimate it's about 230 rings at the moment.  This is currently grossly undersized.  For comparison, there's my driver's license (the back side) and a pair of pliers.  It's intended to be 3x5 inches, though likely 3x6 for added comfort and style.  What I have now isn't fit for length or width, and that'd be only half.  It needs a front and back side, so it'll be even more enormous when it gets closer to done.

Finished, it'll have a larger belt-type for it, made with normal sized rings.  And I'll likely put an image in it as well, since I have the colored rings and I can do an inlay, I could rather easily add some color designs to it.  I've decided that what I'm working on is the "back" and that the "front" will include some color.  Likely just some blue lines or waves, nothing fancy.  I thought about doing some DF ASCII art, but decided against it.  Because of the materials involved, but mostly the sheer amount of time, I'd probably sell this for over $100, probably closer to $150.  It's extremely tedious work, and I haven't been timing myself but I will on the front side of it.  This is beyond normal hourly wage for chainmail too, being micro and that it's very detailed and hurts my eyes to work on, it would cost more for labor than comparative time spent on large rings.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2012, 08:23:33 pm »

Just an idea, but you could add two small belt loops on the back of it and it would be a handy little belt pouch. Bonus points if you have a way to close it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2012, 09:35:32 pm »

Yeah, I thought about that, and may end up making it a belt pouch instead.  But I specifically don't want it to close, although I could add a flap to fall over it if I felt like it.  For that matter, I could make a flat and then add/remove it when I felt like, because I am a metal-bending goddess and I'll personalize my stuff from one day to the other.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #305 on: January 18, 2012, 09:26:16 am »

When you do finish it be sure to show us. I may order one.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2012, 01:48:15 pm »

FYI, I estimated the finished product at about 3,000 rings.  I'm roughly estimating that this will take 16 hours and 40 minutes of work, but I'll round it to 17 as I'm already giving myself a somewhat generous speed.  At minimum wage, that'd be $127.50 in labor.  So, it'd cost quite a bit more than that, somewhere around $200, or $225 to cover materials as well.

I'm also thinking that if I really produced these, I could try and market them as camera/phone pouches for the belt.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »

FYI, I estimated the finished product at about 3,000 rings.  I'm roughly estimating that this will take 16 hours and 40 minutes of work, but I'll round it to 17 as I'm already giving myself a somewhat generous speed.  At minimum wage, that'd be $127.50 in labor.  So, it'd cost quite a bit more than that, somewhere around $200, or $225 to cover materials as well.

I'm also thinking that if I really produced these, I could try and market them as camera/phone pouches for the belt.
The phone pouch is what I had in mind when I suggested adding a belt loop to the back actually. An idea I had which I'm not sure is feasible or not was to add interspersed rubber rings along the top so that the top rim has a bit of stretch to it, allowing easier access to things inside. A bit like the collar you did earlier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 18, 2012, 03:47:58 pm »

It's possible, but would take a little fiddling.  I think.  My rubber rings are 16g, and barely fit into my 3/32" rings, so I couldn't weave them straight in.  But, I could add a row of my usual 18g and then merge those into rubber, so it's very well possible.

Also, I took 30 minutes to add 3 "sections" of length.  That is, I work in bits of 5 at a time, which means 15 rings at a time because it's 2 closed and 1 open.  Either way, that's about 10 minutes for 15 rings, which is about twice what I had estimated (assumed 5 per 15 before).  But, I've got the length I want now, and that's the tricky part.  Hopefully the width will be easier, as I can work those one at a time and the structure is already made, so it's overall more straightforward to build.

I'll probably work a bit more on width tonight and post another pic, or it may be tomorrow.

Also: http://www.etsy.com/listing/90860390
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:49:57 pm by Girlinhat »

Rgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELIGION: JEWISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »

... would you consider doing a custom order? Say, steel with onyx? I'm not gonna be in a position to buy for a couple years, most likely (Until I turn 18).
Rgamer likes dwarves for their industriousness. He dislikes small dogs for their annoying barking, enjoys a good run, and prefers to consume steak, potatoes, or apples whenever possible. He likes native silver, granite, marble, and ebony.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:46 pm »

A custom order of what?  Bracelet, bag, pouch, medieval whip?  And define "Onyx".

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2012, 11:38:39 pm »

He probably means the stone.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »

After trying out on some cheap galvy i might buy some stainless wire, it's only 12 bucks a pound from the ring lord, however it'll be 18 bucks for postage, if i can find a local supplier it'll be sweet.
However i can't find any so far that aren't charging something like $1 per meter (something like 300 meters per  pound) which is WAY more expensive than just paying the postage.
I'm liking the look of some of the weaves/patterns i saw on that Maille market site, i'll be making some practice pieces with my galvy.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2012, 03:15:05 pm »

Added a bit, it's currently 60 rings long and 4 thick, along with a few unfishined rows, bringing the total to somewhere around 330.  It's as long as I need, but ideally it'll be a bit longer, for function and for style.  I've convinced myself to work some on it daily, probably an hour if I can manage.

Rgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELIGION: JEWISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 25, 2012, 08:31:17 pm »

A custom order of what?  Bracelet, bag, pouch, medieval whip?  And define "Onyx".

Onyx, the stone, and a bracelet. Apologies for not being specific in my earlier query.
Rgamer likes dwarves for their industriousness. He dislikes small dogs for their annoying barking, enjoys a good run, and prefers to consume steak, potatoes, or apples whenever possible. He likes native silver, granite, marble, and ebony.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33