Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51517 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:37 pm »

NIce. I am still plodding my way through making my scalemaille vest. I may post a tut on how to make an auto roller for those of you who still make their own rings.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2011, 10:29:45 am »

That would be cool. I've got a drill hooked up to a mandrel for coilling the wire and I'm working on rigging a foot trigger for it so I can use both hands. For now I'm cutting with aviator snips but I'm working on a setup to use a dremel, but I have to get a special blade, I think.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2011, 02:08:57 pm »

I attempted a dremel.  I burned myself...  Get the diamond saws, the really really fine tipped ones.  I got the lame pipe cutter blade and it's fairly terrible.  There's also all sorts of tutorials out there on how to lube the blade.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »

Lube is really, really important.  Also, I didn't think about how that would sound before I posted it.  But it's nonetheless very true.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:14 pm »

I use a dremel, and it works fine for me. Although i do have more experience with them, but yes a better blade is essential.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2011, 11:48:16 pm »

Posting to watch, also :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That looks awesome, though personally i prefer bronze/ brass, for the colour.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2011, 01:28:29 am »

Eidolon got a lot of Galvanized Steel before he realized how poor it was, so he doesn't have much of an option there.  I also love bronze, well, love-hate, because it's a fun material, but annoying to work with.  I like having it, but don't like working with it :P

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2011, 09:22:10 am »

Aye, what she said :). I also really like bronze, I was even considering making my entire hauberk out of it, but it's rather expensive.
I feel a bit like a dwarf with bronze in my preferences - it gives me some sort of inexplicable happy thought. Anyways, thank you for the compliment.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2011, 11:05:59 pm »

Just ordered 7lbs of 16g stainless so I can start work on my hauberk. I'm going to have to order more later, certainly, but it's enough to keep me busy for a while. Still feeling indecisive about mild steel or stainless for the hauberk, but I guess once this material gets here I will make my mind up. Dropping money on material certainly makes me feel more commited :P

Bright aluminum rings with (I think) aluminum clasp.
-snip-

I missed this post earlier, somehow. Those look really nice. How well do the hook-clasps work? They seem simple enough, I think I might try to bend some of my own.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2011, 01:18:15 am »

Eidolon got a lot of Galvanized Steel before he realized how poor it was, so he doesn't have much of an option there.  I also love bronze, well, love-hate, because it's a fun material, but annoying to work with.  I like having it, but don't like working with it :P

I feel the same way about Titanium alloy.  That stuff is a bitch and a half to get to do anything - but I work with it anyway because I also love the stuff.  Like a good dwarf - its stubbornness earns my respect.  I bear the cuts and scrapes and wrist strain from its violent springbacks and rapid metal fatigue as the marks of honor.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:19 am »

I missed this post earlier, somehow. Those look really nice. How well do the hook-clasps work? They seem simple enough, I think I might try to bend some of my own.
Rather simple, actually.  It's just a hook.  I do a very good job of putting the bracelet over my stomach (or in my feminine case, my chest), and then pressing my wrist against the bracelet.  Let the hook hang to the middle of my wrist and pull the non-hook end up around, then it's easy to hook it on.  Takes just a little practice to figure out how to do it, but it's rather easy.  I also prefer these a whole lot because they have no moving parts.  Lobster clasps are the other popular choice, but they use a little spring-loaded arm and clasp.  The hook is a pure hook, nothing moves, and I rather like that simplicity.

Handmade hooks are easy, at least with weak materials.  Just take a ring, and pull it open wide.  Pull it apart, not the way that you open a ring to weave it.  Then take one point and compress it down with the pliers to make a 6 shape.  I've done it a few times, and it works amazingly well for how simple it is.  But stainless may be nigh-impossible to actually bend like that, so you may want to invest in real clasps from a craft store (or hit up Kisame for some handmade metalworking :D)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »

I could give it a shot, but depending on how fine you want them it may not be possible for me.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:17 am »

I think hooks are more in the realm of "wire-bending" rather than "blacksmithing".

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2011, 05:39:10 am »

I know it's possible to make similar hooks out of fencing wire - you just need two pairs of sturdy pliers.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:09 am »

word to the wise: if you're making your own hooks, beware that ones made from hand cut wire can be rather pokey/scratchy. They work fine, but they chafe after a while and depending on how they lay may leave scratches.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33