Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51508 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:25 pm »

I go for smaller, I enjoy making more detailed things, but that's a persona preference/insanity on my part.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2011, 02:46:03 pm »

Squeeee it came =D  Package from TRL.org, regular mail (not UPS) waiting all fine and dandy in the mailbox~

For the curious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the package and some medium-duty scissors (for scale I guess?) and the contents.  These arrived individually bagged, but my first order came in one long strip that had been vacuum-heat-sealed to separate the different rings.

That's black rubber, blue rubber, and white rubber, all 16g 1/4".  Then black, gold, green, pink, purple, red, violet, and white anodized aluminum, all 18g 1/4".  And additionally 2 ounces of bright aluminum 18g 1/4" and two bags of 20 6mm obsidian beads.  I was slightly disappointed that the obsidian was polished and bright, it looks like any other bead once you polish it, but it has a smokey quality to it, a sort of "grey aftertaste" in the stone.  It's not bad, but awfully small!  I dunno what I plan to do with them, but obsidian is dwarfy so I couldn't resist.  $1.20 for a bag of 20, meh, I can handle that!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2011, 04:59:57 pm »

And then:

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:02 pm »

Wow, nice. How stretchy are the rubber rings? I'm making someone a spiral chain bracelet, and the black rubber o-rings I picked up from a home improvement place are rather hard.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2011, 05:58:29 pm »

Are they washers?  Those are terrible!  These are EPDM, extremely stretchy.  They can unreliably stretch to about twice their size, and it helps that there's a lot of them as it distributes the stress rather evenly.  They're also fairly strong, more-so than a rubber band, it takes a -tiny bit- of tugging to pull it on and off my wrist.  I'm used to rubber bands and bony tail hickers, these rubber rings are rather firm and secure.

I think I might make a collar for our newest kitty.  She's a stray kitten who started living under our house.  Some food and a cold night, and she came clambering in :P  She'd look adorable in pink aluminum and white rubber~  Plus, cats actually have a bad tendency to strangle themselves with collars, getting hooked on chain link fences or exposed nails and choking themselves.  Elastic collars are much preferred as it lets the cat slip out if they really get caught.  I worry slightly about pinching hair, but the metal rings are fairly slick and don't really "cling" much.  Even if hair got between the rings, there's not really enough friction there to pull.  Maybe a little against the rubber, it's got some texture, but it's still very smooth and such.  Either way, kitten is a short-hair, shouldn't be a real issue.  I'll see how it works!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »

Beware. Its just one now but just you wait, there will be more.....
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2011, 07:18:10 pm »

We've been over this countless times, that's why we have 3 owned cats (including the kitten), one who sleeps with us and eats with us but hasn't been to the vet so we hold no legal responsibility... and two tomcats who hang around.  Plus assorted raccoons who eat leftover catfood *shrug*  We had the kitten spayed and vaccinated and whatnot about two weeks ago.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2011, 07:23:22 pm »

Hey Girl, if you ever have any spare rings, send them my way. ;)
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2011, 07:28:41 pm »

You can clearly see that I have some 5,000 rings.  I intend to use them all... at once...  it shall be a glorious tapestry depicting a dwarf and goblins in aluminum.  The image relates to the battle of Tholtig and the death of everyone else.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2011, 05:53:00 am »

:D
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:04 pm »

Some new photos~
A bracelet I made for myself, blue rubber and bright aluminum:
A Christmas themed bracelet, it's become a bit bigger than this picture.  White rubber with green and red aluminum:
A friend got me to make a set of bracelets for him, both black rubber with violet rings.  The rings were hard to take a picture of, as all cameras turned it blue, but I got a few decent ones.  Here's various stages of the production:
And here's a valentine's theme that I'm not entirely fond of.  The pink is very light, pastel...

Because it was a friend, I charged him $20 for the both, and that's including shipping ($5 and change for flatrate boxes) but I think I'd be charging some $15 a piece for ones like that, maybe closer to $12, mostly gotta get feel for the market, y'know?  He also tested out my paypal, which is new and works pretty well, so I am confirmed "in business".

*turns on the OPEN sign*

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28:06 pm »

\o/

In business, go you!  Gorgeous stuff, by the way.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2011, 12:24:13 am »

Got my scales in. All 16 pounds of them. Kinda small but whatever, scalemaille is awesome. I may need thinner rings than the ones I got now though.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2011, 01:42:51 am »

16 pounds @.@

Is that 16 lbs or £16?  One is considerably more impressive than the other.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2011, 11:16:57 am »

16.79 Pounds. As in weight. Got six thousand of them. Cost me 150 dollars Canadian.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33