Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51489 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2011, 07:23:20 pm »

If anything I'd be using these for dog collars and leashes, which requires quite a bit of strength since many people have big strong dogs that could snap aluminum rings by accident.  I may look into welding steel then...

Also, my order was finally packaged and should be in the air.  Let's wait enough week for delivery, yay~

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2011, 07:58:08 pm »

Be carful what you weld though. Some alloys react to heat and release toxic vapors, galvy being one of them, and anything with zinc too. It may not matter if you do it in a well ventilated area but I wouldn't want to do it in my basement, or garage. Welding is a nice way to fasten ring but please, be safe about it.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »

I think as a rule of thumb I'd be doing it outside on the patio with a fan behind me, but would still try to avoid hazardous materials.  My main thing would mostly be stainless though.  Because what's the point of welding aluminum?  It's still going to be weak aluminum!  Some of the nickel and (I think) zinc in stainless might be hazardous, but I'm usually very careful about these things.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2011, 10:54:20 pm »

Regular brass or bronze plus borax flux makes an excellent brazing material.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »

Bronze, as I've been using it, is a very tough material.  I think a lot of people go "eh, it's not as good as steel" without realizing that it's still extremely tough!  Welding bronze should be safe and provide some strong rings, and soldering bronze with bronze wouldn't be as good but still pretty strong.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:31 pm »

Definitely.  Bronze is excellent stuff - there's a good reason it was used for so much of human history.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2011, 02:17:54 pm »

Bronze sword were actually better than the earlier iron swords but since iroon was easier to make the used it more often. I think I may get some rings and make some jewlery.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2011, 02:59:20 pm »

I was under the impression that bronze was roughtly equal to iron swords. just irons easyer to produce. since when a bronze and iron sword cross blades, they both end up with notches in them.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2011, 05:09:47 pm »

Performance:

Iron is more likely to rust.
On the other hand, bronze does not hold an edge quite as well.
Early iron swords were made by novices to iron-forging, while bronze swords were at their peak. Early iron swords were not forged by masters of iron-working, while comparable bronze weapons were.
However, overall, the difference in quality between wrought iron and bronze weapons is not large.

Economics:

Bronze could be worked from the heat of a wood fire.
Iron requires much higher temperatures, and so became feasible only after coal and better forge methods became available.
However, forging arms grade bronze depends on the ~7% tin content, and tin is rarely found in the same place as copper, while iron is more abundant. Once the forging tech reached the needed level, it was easier and cheaper to simply make iron instead.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:11:41 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »

Just ordered some scales, should be here in about two weeks, maybe less. Living in canada is awsome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »

Did you get rings for them too?  Just scales aren't useful, you need rings to join them.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2011, 11:39:26 pm »

I can easily make my own rings from galvy. I bought a 1/4 mile roll last year and it's still going. I just need to figure out a jig for cutting the rings.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2011, 12:32:54 am »

That, or if you have some strong material to use as a lace and can punch holes in the scales, you could make lamellar.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2011, 01:53:27 am »

Converting scales to lamellar is a waste of perfectly good scales.  There's much better ways to tackle lamellar.  If you're going that route, you could use zip-ties to weave scales!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2011, 02:27:55 pm »

Converting scales to lamellar is a waste of perfectly good scales.  There's much better ways to tackle lamellar.  If you're going that route, you could use zip-ties to weave scales!

Ow. Ow ow ow.  This hurts me.  Why would you say such things!? D:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33