Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51472 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2011, 08:42:12 pm »

I think if I ever attempted that sleeve thing, it would have to be similar to this.

And I ordered more rings!  Lots of colored aluminum and lots of rubber.  Time to get creative with the little bits and see what I can do.

I thought about it, but did NOT get the right sizes to make dragonscale.  But I still have a lot of galvy and can cut to size, if I want to toy around with it.  Hopefully I'll make a handful of sales and get the profit to buy more.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2011, 03:52:10 am »

you go girl?

but yeah, i watch with interest ^^ please try get a few photos up when your happy with what you make. Ide try my hand at this but i dont have the patcience for it. :P
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2011, 08:34:04 am »

Some 6-14 days delivery, I believe.  So some 8-16 days including "gathering the order and packaging".

Oh, and I got some obsidian beads!  They were like a dollar for 20 of them, and I have a few head pins laying about.  6mm beads, should be fun to see what I can do with them.  The site had a lot of other stone beads (theringlord.org > jewelry supplies > beads and drops) in particular, I noticed malachite and lapis lazuli.  Those were some of the most DF related materials I noted.  I've also found marble and bone beads elsewhere.  Dunno, if I can make a few things and sell them, make a bit extra money to get new supplies, you might see steel mixed with bone rings and stone.  It can get rather dwarfy with a little effort.

Also, the craft store within walking distance has leather, but it's only soft leather and some suede.  Comes in some mediocre sized sheets, bit smaller than a piece of paper, and very soft and flexible.  I might try and get some leather straps to weave into the rings or something though.

Am I the only one upset that animal material isn't listed specifically?  It's just "bone beads" but I want to know if it's cow bone beads or crocodile bone beads!  DF has spoiled me D:

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2011, 09:04:03 am »

And some specification whether they're +Cave crocodile bone beads+ or even *Squirrel bone beads* would be handy, as well. :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2011, 09:22:51 am »

Some 6-14 days delivery, I believe.  So some 8-16 days including "gathering the order and packaging".

Are you ordering from ringlord? If so, you may want to expect a longer time before they git there, probably 20-24 days. When I ordered from them it took them a week to gather my order, which included five 300 count bags of rings and then they took the full listed time to ship, so it was about three and a half weeks before I got them. A little rediculous, but it got here eventually, so whatever.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2011, 09:30:15 am »

Damn...  I did get like seven bags or so.  My first order took like a day to gather though, and included a few ounces of aluminum and bronze and tiny aluminum, along with some other earring hooks and clasps and such.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2011, 09:33:36 am »

Maybe I just got unlucky, but I ordered it on a sunday and it didn't get gathered until that friday. They could have just been busy, I guess.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2011, 03:39:02 am »

Depends a lot on what you order, and whether its already in stock / how commonly requested it is.  They fabricate an enormous amount of it themselves so sometimes you have to wait for a batch.  Also - shipping from Canada :P
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2011, 03:45:52 am »

Any suggestions as whats best to wear with chainmail?

was thinking, for that sleave and glove combo i enquired about, a kind of red wizards/witch hunter outfit with newrocks, a small lantern of some kind and some tiny bells inwoven with my hair. maybe with a pocket watch on a chain. The hat would be rather big and have to be reinfoced and fireproofed for the candles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2011, 10:30:33 am »

Wearing fire is always a bad idea.

Is it bad to sig myself?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2011, 11:45:47 am »

true, just means i dont light the buggers. unless i go with just a plain hat, would have to think up a decoration that would go with the chainmail. hmmm.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2011, 04:24:48 pm »

Wearing fire is always a bad idea.

Is it bad to sig myself?

I don't quote
Anybody else
When I think about you
I sig myself.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »

My fiancee is thinking about starting to make chainmail. What would you recommend for her as a first project? what material/weave?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2011, 04:35:31 pm »

Euro 4-in-1 is the simplest, and the material really depends on what you want to spend on a first time thing. galvanized steel is cheap and easier to find than a few other things, but it has a odd smell after awhile I think.

Pick something relatively simple first, like a bracelet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »

Whatever she makes at first will just be for practice, so I'll probably use galvanized steel for how cheap it is. Do you all order the rings pre-formed or do you order wire and cut/shape manually?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33