Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any advice about this?  (Read 1359 times)

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any advice about this?
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:01:22 pm »

Well, i have recently started playing adventure mode, and after some experimentation (and lots of help from the wiki), i have decided to set a challenge for myself; Create a nude female elf, wielding sword and shield, wearing no armor or clothing (wearing clothing gives you a slighly higher chance of surviving, right?), gain fame and glory, and be known throughout the world, then retire.

I was actually surprisingly successful once, i had killed plenty of night creatures, and was on my way to fight a titan, but then i got ambushed by a ton of goblins and was torn to pieces under the weight of numbers.

So, is there any way to reduce the likelihood of this happening? I mean, I COULD add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to the elven entity, use cheat reactions in a fortress to make a masterwork adamantine sword & shield set, and then grind until my shield user and dodger skills reach several levels above legendary, but it seems like a goblin ambush would still kill me, even if i was wearing armor.

Note: when the goblins ambushed me, i had 9 companions. They helped, but they appeared to have us outnumbered 3 to 1.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice about this?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:32 pm »

try hunting down some wild life to sell to the humans for armor and weapons
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »

Not only did you fail to read my post, you also have obviously never played an elf adventurer. I will remind you that elves cannot wear human armor anyways, and i decided to challenge myself by not using any, even if i found it.
Getting weapons is no problem, but i had an -iron sword- and a «-copper shield-» when the goblins killed me. I can always afford the best weapons because, via glitch or unintentional bug, when i fill my backpack with water i get like 50,000 units of it, which i then sell for all the money the shopkeeper has, as well as anything i want from his store.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:05:09 pm »

You don't need to make the elves playable. They can wear dwarf armour without any modification.
[Signature]

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 03:20:48 pm »

You don't need to make the elves playable. They can wear dwarf armour without any modification.
dito for gobins
pro tip here kobolds can have steel weapons sometimes.
get companions with good weapons and armor there alot better as shields
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:25:54 pm »

Forget the companions.
The more companions you have, the bigger ambushes you get from bandits. So if you only have 1 person following you to stave off bogeys you'll fare much better against ambushes.
*Hugs*

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:29:14 pm »

Forget the companions.
The more companions you have, the bigger ambushes you get from bandits. So if you only have 1 person following you to stave off bogeys you'll fare much better against ambushes.

Okay, good to know. Thanks!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:11 pm »

Forget the companions.
I've had this problem. I had a 13-companion squad of soldiers, and I got ambushed by like 30-50 goblins. On ONE GODDAMN OCCASION did me and about 6-7 companions slaughtered the WHOLE ambush and survive.