Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skulls Immune to Magma  (Read 1269 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skulls Immune to Magma
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

Just as the thead title says.  I've dumped skulls into a magma vent and they caught on a ledge.  And there they stay until they decompose normally.  Other items (like clothing) is destroyed in 6 frames (the same amount of time it takes it to fall.

Also, unralated, but items falling through magma aren't destroyed as they fall, they'll either fall out the bottom of the map or hit a ledge (and then be destroyed near-instantly).

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skulls Immune to Magma
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:56:00 am »

That isn't a bug. Go stick your skull into magma and you will find that it is entirely parallel to reality.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

That's odd.  I have bone's heat damage point at 11468, and magma at 12000.  I'll note it down and see if I can get anywhere with it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

Also, ideally, most projectiles would not even fall through the magma, but we don't have floating/densities yet.  Probably why I glossed over it, but I don't remember.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Also, ideally, most projectiles would not even fall through the magma, but we don't have floating/densities yet.  Probably why I glossed over it, but I don't remember.</STRONG>

By "falling" I do mean "two z-levels up a dwarf just dumped it over a cliff.  But if that counts as a projectile ok.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 03:19:00 am »

Okay, so there are three ways a hot temperature can damage an item:  by fire, by melting and through generic "heat damage".  Bone is only affected in the last way, and even with a temperature difference of 600 degrees above the heat damage point, the damage was only being added very slowly, though the bluefin tuna skulls I dropped in the volcano did eventually degrade.  I've now amplified the effect by many times, though it might need some additional work.  It also takes a while for any item dropped in lava to heat up, so I might have to look at how being in a high temperature zone interacts with the spec heat and increase the transfer rate.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Yup, eventually degrade is what I was seeing, though it was longer than I was willing to pay attention and watch, so I couldn't be sure it wasn't just disolving as if it was sitting outside.

Go awesome Toady!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Okay, so there are three ways a hot temperature can damage an item:  by fire, by melting and through generic "heat damage".  Bone is only affected in the last way, and even with a temperature difference of 600 degrees above the heat damage point, the damage was only being added very slowly, though the bluefin tuna skulls I dropped in the volcano did eventually degrade.  I've now amplified the effect by many times, though it might need some additional work.  It also takes a while for any item dropped in lava to heat up, so I might have to look at how being in a high temperature zone interacts with the spec heat and increase the transfer rate.</STRONG>

This is something I would see as a necessary difference between dwarf mode and adventure mode: In adventure mode, you might want to have a few turns between noticing that the water around you is starting to form ice chunks, and getting encased. In dwarf mode, anything that falls into, say, MAGMA, is going to be more or less that temperature by the next frame, given how much of a month passes in a few seconds in dwarf mode.

Just saying, adventure mode = slow changes over a day, dwarf mode = quick changes in a frame... and slow changes over a year.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.