Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231567 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2415 on: December 30, 2011, 04:39:13 pm »

"Ah, but that's just it, isn't it? Without the glamour of the throne to call on, what is left? Why, ancient tongues, of course, re-purposed for a modern age. A fancy phrase in some long-dead language impresses the masses as much as a shining crown."
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: December 30, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

"Right, I'll take you to the boss then. Though I do have to ask how a soldier gets dishonorably discharged these days. Queen was a bit picky about the troops, and both her the Marshal weren't too honourable. Unless you're from Kyzas' rule, then I could understand how the queen booted you out. Wasn't exactly the friendliest girl after that incident. Shame really, came out of the castle often before then...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: December 30, 2011, 04:46:32 pm »

"Perhaps we could put that title on official documents and so forth," Pasha said. "I don't mind it personally but I can't see the average man on the street saying that." He snapped his fingers. "Actually, wait, that's a thought. Are we going to keep the old flag and official seals and everything? Because if not, we should discuss that as well." He gestured towards Hugo. "We do have a skilled artist on hand, after all." He turned to the man. "I saw the portrait you painted of Tala for her birthday. Lovely work."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:08 pm »

"Yeah.  Wrong place, wrong time, wrong side.  Now I've no pension, and isn't that life?" Juan honestly had never even seen Kyzas, let along been part of that army.  This was not the time to be honest, however. "So when you say she came out of the castle more...?"  Juan left the sentence hanging with a slight suggestion to it.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: December 30, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »

Franz circled Awalia, baring his teeth. Her gang encircled them-maybe not picking a side yet...

Awalia makes the first move-a fake left hook to the chin-which Franz spots. He jumps back out of the way of underhanded blow to his stomach, feeling Awalias bronze knuckles just graze him. He is surprised that as he steps back to notice his stomach is bleeding. A closer look at Awalias hand shows him something he was a bit late to realize-they've been sharpened, very keenly and very finely. Perfect for making tiny cuts...and applying poison.

He doesn't feel anything, at first, and launches a flurry of attacks at Awalia-alternating higher and lower to keep her off balance, preparing to sweep her legs out from under her...

And he blacks out. Just a second-everything goes dark. Franz shakes his head in time to see Awalias fist, but not fast enough to dodge it.

She certainly didn't pull THAT punch. Franz goes flying into the far wall of the warehouse, smacking his face into an inconveniently placed iron handcart. As regains his senses, he feels something rattling in his mouth, and spits it out. They're teeth. Ahh, the Ladies loved to see him smile...

Awalia comes back in, a bit wary, but too confident...

Franz raises his fists, feigning weakness...he sees Awalia's undefended side-one hit, and he could turn it all around. He knows he can do this! He's gotten out of worse situations before. All he has to do is...

Franz blacks out again, and this time it is full dark, no stars. He can't see anything...he fights to control his panic. He bumps into something-a pile of crates, which topple over on him. He's barraged with...peaches, of all things.

Awalias mocking voice is everywhere. He spins around, swinging wildly-only hitting air.

"You seem a bit out of it, friend! Didn't nobody tell you not to drink on the job?"

He feels Awalia snake behind him, and kick the back of his left leg, sending him down. He hears a pleased grunt-like a predator that just sank it's teeth into prey-as Awalia gets him in a head lock. She starts to twist his neck in a way it's not supposed to go-maybe trying to kill him, or knock him out...

Her hateful voice whispers in his ear.

"Relax sweetie. Awalia will make it quick...just go to sleep now..."

Franz fights for his life, screaming, cursing and thrashing...but he can't win.

The darkness eating his vision fades into real darkness.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:56:05 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: December 30, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »

"Oh the usual things a teenager would do. Go down to the arena, watch some fights. Explore the markets. That sort of thing. Always had her bodyguards with her though, a shame that she ended up so introverted and paranoid. Now look where that's gotten us. The fists being a bunch assholes..." The guard brings Juan ever closer to his employer, though it's still a small walk there.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:23:05 pm by Taricus »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: December 30, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

Juan frowned.  "Grew up close to Fist turf.  Can't say I'm fond of them."  Nor the Dubs, but let's leave that one be.  "So how'd you get into the Dubs, friend?  It's Juan, by the by."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:13:55 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: December 30, 2011, 05:34:57 pm »

"Well, I'll let the boss tell you that." With that, the guard slinks away, leaving Juan alone with the boss...

((Enter Dwarmin))

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: December 30, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »

Hire a 2nd regiment of Raiders, travel SE to Nalia (The city between Mileth and Moun). Be stealthy.
[5] You stealth your way across the countryside. Welcome to Nalia, city of farms and opium.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: December 30, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »

The forces under Riivak's command had moved stealthily and quickly to the city of Nalia. With the number of troops at his back Riivak felt that attempting to stealthily raid the place was foolish. And he wasn't yet strong enough to try to force them to pay not to be raided. When night fell, they'd make off with whatever they could, and move on.

Wait for cover of night. Raid Nalia! Both regiments!
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: December 30, 2011, 06:01:01 pm »

The Double Naughts boss Laz Milwort walks into the room confidently-he's an old hand in the Dubs, been serving for years-and has seen the gangs up and downs. He's in his late forties, and his hair is starting to grey and fall out.

Smiling, he motions for Juan to sit. He speaks in a slow voice, punctured by occasional light coughs.

"Juan, right?...

Lucky boy. A spot just opened up...if you're good enough to take it. What makes you think you're good enough, son? You're not wasting my time, are you? I've had a thousand boys like you sitting in front of me...each one of them thought he was the sharpest blade in Talama.

Nine of ten ended up in the bay with the sharks.

So, what makes you any different from them?"

He leans forward, crossing his hands.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: December 30, 2011, 06:09:47 pm »

"I do not believe that getting a new flag for the Kingdom is necessary. However, since this and the actual name of the nation do not matter that much, I suggest that we simply vote. Who is in favor of getting a new flag, and what name is the best in your opinion?"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: December 30, 2011, 06:17:38 pm »

Juan sits, studying Laz Milwort as he speaks.  He leans back slightly, letting his jacket splay open a little.

"Cards on the table, then?  I'm not a boy, and I'll bet you've got the eyes to see that.  I didn't get these scars being a clumsy servant, neither."  Juan pulls up a trouser leg, revealing some old war scars.  "I've spent more'n a decade in some war or other and I'll bet those nine out of ten boys you told me about were all butcher's sons who thought just because they could wave a cleaver around they could wave a sword too."

Juan leans forward and grins.

"I'm no butcher's son.  I'm a bricklayer's son, and you know what that's taught me?  Any endeavour worth its salt needs a solid foundation.  A footing you can rely on.  If you don't have that, you don't have anything.  Me, I'm loyal.  Am I going to get myself killed for you?" 
Juan shrugs and leans back.  "No.  But am I going to kill for you if you keep me in wine and jam?  Yes.  You can bet on that.

"Y'see, there's two kinds of people in a company that matter.  There's masters and there's hounds.  Me?  I'm a hound.  Never been sharp enough for a command, but if I find a master who'll stand by me if I stand by him, I'll sit when he tells me and kill when he says.  And I'll bet the reason those boys ended up with the sharks is they didn't get that either.  I'll bet they all wanted to be the master and just couldn't cut it.

"So there's my pitch.  I've got the history, I know what loyalty means and where disloyalty lands you, and I know that it goes two ways.  I'll bet you know that too.  You see, I'm a gambling man.  I've been gambling nigh on fifteen years, I reckon.  And you know what else qualifies me for this job?

"I'm still alive."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:31:55 pm by Iituem »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: December 30, 2011, 06:30:03 pm »

Wait for cover of night. Raid Nalia! Both regiments!
[4,2] In and out like greased lightning. Well, you don't actually go in- just rob the farms. The opium plantations outside the city are full of coin. And produce. Unfortunately, your men don't really feel like selling it.

[4] The people of Nalia are upset, of course, and make a note to patrol their borders better. But they are a laid back people- you probably won't have regiments chasing you through the countryside.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: December 30, 2011, 06:33:20 pm »

Laz chuckles.

"Well, that's what I'm looking for.

You get old as me, you had just about enough of people kissing your ass-you just want it straight.

You'll be my Hound, Juan-and did you ever choose a good time to sign up-and I'll be the Master. Maybe I can show you some things...Old Laz isn't gonna be around much longer. Maybe I can teach you how to do more than just survive."

Laz is wracked by a coughing fit. Then he straightens out, smiling defiantly.

"Heh, bet that made me look like I was fucking ancient, right? Old Laz isn't dead yet, though.

...see, some guy, he slipped poison into my food not a few weeks ago, yeh?

Shit didn't kill me, but I haven't been able to catch a breath like I did before. I've got through a lot, but this is the one that finally hurt me bad. They got the guy who did it-I think...that Awalia won't tell me for sure, probably thinks I'm lying awake at night afraid of em...but, I just found out who the son of a bitch was who sold me out was.

Not surprising-in this business, nothings personal. I'm more insulted he did it so cheaply. The one thing I can't stand is a cheapskate.

Like you said before-this one, he wants to be a master, not a Hound. But he's not nearly good enough for either.

You wanna be my Hound? Do this for me. He's the man who showed you in here, with the ugly as sin pea-green coat. His job is yours...once you vacate his position, of course. Don't make too much of a mess.

I like our work done clean and I like it done quick-no calling cards, no dramatics, no sloppiness."

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 220