Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231496 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2340 on: December 29, 2011, 02:10:04 pm »

Chironas had waited long enough-it was getting cold up here, and the little battle that played out on the streets had reached it's logical conclusion...it was time to face him.

She knew he could kill her, that would be enough, but to send her from his side would be more cruel...but, William did what he had to to survive. That was who he was. Was she being too hard on herself? Maybe.

She made her way through the streets, and walked slowly back through the Barracks-where every soldier was silent and suspicious, each suspecting the other of treachery against their Lord. Not a few of them seemed to be suspecting her. Chironas could make out the whispers and half glances.

Chironas mounted the stairs, and reached the door to Williams room. Had a sudden bizarre idea. It was actually sort of funny to her, all things considered.

She knocked three times.

"William? Can I come in?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: December 29, 2011, 02:17:50 pm »

William almost laughed when he heard Chironas. He was sore, hungry and he knew he wouldn't be sleeping at all tonight, so he hoped for other comforts. Particularly having someone warm beside him.
"Do you really need to ask? Of course you can."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:19:21 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: December 29, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »

She nodded and stepped in.

Chironas took a seat on the bed across from him, sighing softly.

"Well, it's been a hard day for you William...understatement, to be sure.

Confession? I messed up. I should have listened at the door before bursting in like that...but, first instinct and all that. Needed to make sure you were alright. I wasn't thinking clearly.

Of course, all I did was let the bastard get away..."

She laughed a little nervously, running a hand through her hair. She was finding it hard to meet his eyes-afraid of what emotion she would see.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: December 29, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »

Chironas wasn't making eye contact with William. So he put his hand on her knee and squeezed.
"It's fine, it really wasn't your fault. I should have killed him quicker or actually screened my guards instead of letting anybody with a pulse join, I'll remedy that tomorrow."
What a lie.
Shut up.
William's tone changed, he sounded tired.
"Anyway, I'm worried then angry now. That Moron Assassin knows about you. And he doesn't seem clever enough to know how to separate personal life from business. So he'll likely try to kidnap you, or hurt you or something to draw me out. Which I why I need you to do something for me and for yourself..."

"Stay by my side until I kill that Moron. No running off or climbing buildings for a bit...Can you do that for me?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: December 29, 2011, 03:29:51 pm »

Chironas was glad he wasn't angry-and that he was going easy on her. It showed. She caught his eyes with a slight smile.

"Hmph, I'll castrate that moron when he tries to put a hand on me.

But...yeah, I understand. I'l stick by your side William. Until *we* kill that Moron, if I may be up front about it. We're turning out to be quite the couple, aren't we?"

She sensed he was calming down now-so she knew it was probably safe for her.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: December 29, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »

William smiled genuinely.
"Yeah, we are aren't we..."
William leaned foward and kissed Chironas.
((*Timeskip again. Blergh...*))
William stays up all night and watches out for the assassin .

Next Morning:
The raider had a nice dinner of steak- it was well done steak just like he asked for- some buttered bread with some lettuce and carrots on the side with a light topping of sliced cheese. Instead of being unchained to eat, he was fed by a unarmed female guard who often winked at him while he ate. About half way through the night the three armed guards were relieved of duty by three other armed guards.
It was sometime around morning - so he had plenty of time to meditate on the tortured corpse one room over- when William entered the room. Four other guards were with him, two of them where carrying rather comfortable look chairs and one was carrying a small table. A younger and less battle-scarred guard wearing a red coat several sizes too big, followed behind the others, carrying a tea pot and two tea cups.
The raider watched as the guards set the table up. The young one left the room, leaving the raider alone with the seven other men in the room. There was a click as the door was locked by the man with the red hair and the black jacket. Then one of the guards unlocked the raider's cuffs and gestured towards the table. William poured himself a cup of tea and poured the raider one as well when he finally sat.
"Sorry about the lack of Sugar or Cream. Been busy these last few days. I would like to ask you a few questions and then I'll release you."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: December 29, 2011, 05:22:27 pm »

Pasha stared out the window, resting his elbows on the sill. I don't... know enough about the situation here in Ligoria to make a fair judgment. But it seems wrong to me to just kill Laythe like this. In a way it's partially my fault... I was her original betrothed, after all, and it was my family name that drove her crazy in the first place. Who knows. Maybe things wouldn't be like this now if I had done my duty to my father and married her, even if that meant forcing her to be my bride. But I would merely be a puppet king for Dysevik if I had done that... damn it. It just doesn't seem like there's any way to win.

He sighed heavily and took a flower out of the nearby vase, slowly pulling its petals off and letting the wind take them. In another room, Tala was writing a letter, and he was giving her the privacy to do that. I wish I could go to Laythe, tell her right now that she needs to run... but there's no telling what she would do. Execute me for telling her about the plot? Execute Tala for agreeing to it? At the very least my telling her about it would result in open civil war and a lot of people would die. Maybe it's better if I just leave things alone. One woman dies, but a lot of people live. It sounds fair... but it still feels like this is all my fault.

Pasha buried his face in his hands, pressing his palms against his forehead. This shouldn't be any of my business. But... I promised Laythe I would stand beside her. What the hell do I do? It all boils down to standing by and letting it happen, and hating myself forever for breaking a promise and letting her die, or I interfere and get myself killed and probably still don't manage to save her. Even if I do save her, what then? Is it just a matter of time until she snaps and kills me or Tala? Or if I interfere and live, but don't save her, Vandire and Thunderblade will probably have me exiled or executed, and I can't do that to Tala.

He ran a hand through his hair. There's an option: assassinate Vandire and Thunderblade first. I could probably do it, or at least get one of them. The rebellion would fall apart without them... but I don't really want to hurt Nikephoros, and I've never even seen Kathos, so finding him to even attempt a kill is out of the question. Even assuming I pulled it off without a hitch, it comes back to Laythe: would she believe me if I told her I killed them to spare her? Would she not care? Or if I didn't tell her that I killed both of them, would she execute me when she found out? I don't know. I just... don't know...

He took a deep breath, closed his eyes for a few seconds, and released it. I can't be selfish. I have to do what's right for my family. Even if I somehow singlehandedly stopped this rebellion like a storybook hero, there would be another one. Who knows, I could even be the leader of it. So... even if I hate myself for it... I'll stand aside. But I can't be a part of it. I can't risk being there, having it within my power to save her. I have to stay here, and not think about it. We'll make it through this, one way or another. A humorless laugh as he stepped away from the window.

I was right all along, though. Old Vandire is going to take the throne away from Ralia...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: December 29, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »

Arrange for the city watch to be distracted. The guard captain who we bribe, tell him to have his men patrol far away from the palace. The rest of the guard... a crime spree in the down town area, that should lure them away.

Have the Fists spread a rumour amongst the more... dissatisfied members of the population. Riots tonight, against the queen. Bring torches and pitchforks, barricade the streets, storm the castle. Provide supplies for the execution of these riots.

Have the Fists cause a few fires in town.

[4][6][2][1]

The riots aren't hard to start - especially with the sudden disappearance of the Royal army from inside the walls. You also save some coin from the bribes simply due to the fires in the city. Fires? Lots of random fires keeping the city guard occupied. Thats not hard of course - liqour and a torch. A few homes are set on fire - nothing special. The Fists seem to be having fun with their task instead of doing something constructive.

Put my regiment on alert and on police duty in the city. Close the eye on weapon holding and smuggling, try not to disarm people if not necessary. Order all royal regiments to exit the city and stand by on alert in the countryside.

[1145]

Get rid of any messenger trying to reach the regiments outside of the city.

[64]

All troops are to disreguard Nikepheros Vandire's orders. Vandire himself is to to be considered stood down and is to be brought in before the queen to explain himself. Talvius and Alaria are to be considered marshals until a suitable replacement is available.

[2263]

Much of the populace above the lower class is armed in some fashion. Part of the times, and moreso since the war. Disarming the civilian population would be unwise, but for the most part nothing larger than knives and daggers to begin with.

Vandire's regiment is so inept at their job, likely due to nerves, that the smugglers seem to be watching -them- while drinking ale. Everyone in the port area is simply bored or ignoring their duty. It'd be comedic if there wasn't the threat of death on both sides of an arguement in the Port.

The royal army takes up station outside the gates of the city on lookout for 'raiders and bandits'. Many are confused as to why, and as such suspect something is going on. Messengers are sent to collect the army and depose Vandire as their head, most of which never make it to the men. Others end up speaking to captains who seem selectively deaf. They may not be thrilled about the ideas they have about current events, but they're not apparently caring enough to get involved though. Talvius and Alaria enjoy the concept of a promotion and head to the army to assert their authority. Neither is optimistic about that plan.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: December 29, 2011, 05:56:32 pm »

The raid had been interesting, to say the least. As the raiders stormed through the town, Terryn had simply stood back and observed the guard's response. Donald had gutted a man that had been stupid enough to enter their camp, tearing the poor fool's chest to shreds in display of viciousness for his folly. But aside from Donald's new cloak, the Thornbred Knights had been rather unaffected by the attack.

Still, the attack had no doubt put the guards on edge. And when one was on edge, they were likely to make mistakes. After giving the Captain a day or two to calm down, Sir Terryn set out for his promised meeting with the man, Donald, Oswald, and a third Thornbred at his side. it was just before noon when he arrived at the Captain's office, eyes hard as he approached the doorway. "You will admit me to see the Captain now," Terryn ordered the guards on duty, hand straying to his weapon, "Or if he is out you will admit me to his office so that I might wait for him."
It was at this point that Terryn considered: Maybe it would be best if he had to wait. He could easily look through the Captain's papers, and gain a better understand of Polca's defenses that way.

-Terryn goes to a meeting with the Captain, attempting to intimidate the guardsmen into letting him into the office even if the Captain is out (preferably if the captain is out) or even if the Captain does not wish to see him at this time.
-Terryn also sends Bjorn to meet with William's chapter, asking for a time and place where Terryn and William can meet and plan in secrecy.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 29, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »

Tala finished her letter with a frown. Writing it brought her no joy. She just hoped the Queen...surrendered. Gave up without a fight, and went into exile. Maybe some lives could be saved.

Most likely not. The letter would find Laythe eventually. Her man would make sure of that.

She walked back to where Pasha was pacing-his brow furrowed, eyes darting, mind working at a furious pace. Tala knew he was in pain-real pain. Pasha was a man whose word meant everything to him.

Tala also knew it was only his love for her that kept him here-otherwise he would be out there, preparing to fight on Laythes behalf.

She walked up to his side. Spoke...

"I know how shallow it sounds, Pasha...but this thing...it's out of our control now.

I'm not condemning the Queen, exactly, or condoning what Nikephoros and Kathos are doing...

I just want us to get through this alive."

She tried to catch Pashas gaze, but his eyes kept darting around. Finally she just held him.

"Save your strength for the battles you can win, my love..."

In the other room, Vespius and Veritas had just finished moving the last piece of heavy furniture in front of the door. They already had a table, chairs and a deck of cards for what we would be a long night.

Better safe than sorry...who knows what foul sort of person might decide to lurk around tonight, take advantage of the chaos.

"Deal me in Vespius. Usual stakes." He raised an eyebrow.

Veritas hooted, shifting the cards.

The stakes usually were for who got to stay with the Lady on patrol, and who got to run errands. Both of them preferred to be around Tala on duty, if they could.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: December 29, 2011, 06:09:35 pm »

Laythe was downright furious at the riots. One general who "Proclaimed" himself a patriot, trying to usurp HER throne. Well, Laythe had something to say about that, and their head would be NOTHING.

Of course, all she needed was a little help.

"Go get Hyte, it's time the rebels learnt what the price of their actions are..."

Embezzle all the money out the treasury, Laythe heads to the bank with her Bodyguards, Cavalry unit, Engineers to the bank after embezzling the funds from the treasury to take out a 12d loan, and to the docks afterwards to board the naval ship there with all the funds. Retrieve Hyte, explain to him the entire situation and bring him along too. The spies are to infiltrate the army, and are to await further orders.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:36:23 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: December 29, 2011, 06:22:55 pm »

Pasha sighed and let her put her arms around him, her face against his chest, but he made no move of his own. "I don't know if what they're doing is right or wrong. I don't know if I care whether it's right or wrong, Tala. Hell, from everything I've heard about her, and the few incidents I know about personally, the best thing for the country would be her removal." He finally moved his hands, one stroking her hair, the other around her shoulders. "But I keep thinking that, well, it's my fault she's like this. I know that rationally speaking my father is the one who made the arrangements and she is the one who killed her family and that I am relatively blameless in the whole affair, but I can't help but feel that maybe if I had refused Dysevik when he first offered me a place by his side he never would have tried to arrange a marriage in the first place... or at least if he had, I would not have been the one chosen."

He looked down and away slightly. "And... I thought that maybe if my ship had stopped in East Dalannor instead, and my father's plans were carried out and I married her, she wouldn't be in this situation now. Neither she or I would have been happy with the arrangement, and truth be told I would probably be a mere puppet king, but things wouldn't be the way they are now, with the wolves at her door. Even now... I could still give her a better chance to at least escape with her life by warning her, and I want to, but..." He closed his eyes. "I guess all I can do to help her is not help the rebellion. We'll keep our soldiers on the estate in case of riots, and I swear to you Tala that I'll stay by your side and protect you."

He met her eyes. "No matter what." After a moment, he decided to change the subject. "Let's not worry about what's going on in Talama until the whole thing blows over, OK? I just want to forget about the world right now." And this was a fine way to do it. He was content to just stand in her embrace, to hold her and be held by her. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the closeness for several minutes before disengaging. "Let's... head down and see what the cook has made for dinner, shall we?" he asked, taking her hand and lacing his fingers through her own.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: December 29, 2011, 06:57:55 pm »

Hugo watched the city burn, from the bleeding scales so full of sandbags and water barrels, and laughed and laughed. The doors were locked and barred, the Fists were armed and guarding the place, and Hugo could just sit back in his office and watch the city burn. Oh, let it burn. Let it burn. Let it all burn!

Ahahahahahahahahahaha!
Long Live United Forenia!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: December 29, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »

The riots have begun, the fires already popping up all over the place. Nikephoros was ready to move at the palace, but decided to wait for Kathos and his men, as well as seeing if the promised mob was going to materialize. His men at the docks should not be hurt too much or get lost in the riots, and the palace would fall quickly if Laythe would see the reality of the situation. Like that was going to happen.

Hopefully everything would go as planned.

Wait for Kathos and his men. Unless informed or noted of anything extraordinary, move to the palace once contact with Kathos was made.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: December 29, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »

In front of the gates...

"THE QUEEN IS TRYING TO GET OUT OF THE CITY!"

The soldiers, who were for the most part sleeping or preparing for the battle, looked at the man who was standing on the wall. He was a commoner, probably coming from the riots.

"The Queen led a sortie with her knights! She is looting the bank, and she will probably try to get out of the city as soon as she's finished!"

Adrian, who had been sent here by Kathos to take command of the troops, sprang to his feet. He started yelling orders and preparing battle plans. The Queen was most likely going to try to break through the gate using sheer force of arms - they were going to stop that. Within minutes, the gates were opened (Like every other soldier in the city, the men watching the gates worked for Nikephoros) and closed once the regiment was outside. The soldiers started to build a barricade around the gate, using anything they could find - every empty house in the surroundings lost its furniture as the soldiers built a makeshift wall. After a short period, it was ready.

At the same time, some officers were trying to rally the mobs towards them. They briefly explained that the Queen was trying to flee with the Kingdom's money and added some stuff about how she was a bad ruler and so on. They tried to build up a mob to man the barricade with the regiment.

If the Queen wanted to get out that way, she would have to cut through a crowd, a barricade and a full regiment of trained soldiers.

In the streets of Talama...

"Laythe is trying to flee the city, to flee our rightful wrath! She caused the deaths of hundreds in Mileth, she forced you to live in a tyranny for years, and now she is trying to steal all that's remaining of the Kingdom's money before fleeing! To the bank, men of Ligoria! To the bank, for the Kingdom! The Queen must not be allowed to leave the city alive! To the bank!

That had been going on for about ten minutes, and it was not stopping anytime soon. Kathos, riding through the city (partly because he wanted to shout to as much people as possible and partly because he was less vulnerable that way) was herding the citizens towards the bank, and towards the Queen. He seemed to do a pretty good job; the people already wanted the Queen's head after all. He was only telling them where to get it.

A note had been sent to Nikephoros as soon as Kathos had heard about the Queen's sortie.

Queen's going at the bank. I'm sending the citizens towards the place. Try to trap her inside, with your handguns it should be easy. Leave a few men at the docks, with the orders of setting the ships on fire if the Queen tries to take them.

Kathos' men build a barricade and recruit crowds to stop the Queen from escaping
Kathos is herding the crowds towards the banks
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:45:02 pm by Shootandrun »
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 220