Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231538 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2235 on: December 26, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

Tala slipped an orange from Pashas grip with the dexterity of the pick pocket she had been born as, and began slicing and peeling it deftly with a small kitchen knife against her plate. Her color had risen, and now Talas reflexes were again sharp as ever-and she had always been scary good with small blades...

She popped a slice into her mouth. Savoring...sweet and juicy, even though they were out of season, it was a small treat that she always enjoyed. Her exhaustion was wearing away with the emergence of the new day.

"Well, we're already married in everything but the eyes of law...that makes you a Baron, Pasha-one of the leaders of Ligoria. It's about time me and everyone else started treating you like one...I'd like you to be by my side."

Tala shrugged, her hair falling in a red cascade.

"In any case, the Queens position is no doubt...precarious. Your absence might be seen in the wrong light. People in power fear nothing more than losing it. That fear can make them do foolish things...we need to be careful."

She knew how careful they would have to be. Until Laythe was assured her position was secure, or removed...no one she loved was safe.

Enough of those thoughts...it was a beautiful morning. No need to waste it.

She cut another slice of orange and held it for Pasha to eat. A small smile bloomed on her face.

"Want a bite, darling? I assure you, it's very sweet..." she said, in a lilting tune, slightly suggestively.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:54:11 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 26, 2011, 02:43:20 pm »

Pasha watched her peel the orange as he idly took a sip of water. She's recovering quickly. Good... he thought, feeling very relieved about it. "Well, we're already married in everything but the eyes of law...that makes you a Baron, Pasha-one of the leaders of Ligoria. It's about time me and everyone else started treating you like one...I'd like you to be by my side," she said with a shrug as she finished eating a slice of orange. "In any case, the Queens position is no doubt...precarious. Your absence might be seen in the wrong light. People in power fear nothing more than losing it. That fear can make them do foolish things...we need to be careful."

"Good point. I'll be with you, then." Pasha picked up his cloak and looked at it. "I guess it's about time this old thing got a coat of arms added to it." It had been blank for the majority of his career; that wasn't exactly unusual, as many commoners and travelers worn plain cloaks, but people with ranks always bore the symbol of their houses. Pasha had found it a point of pride and a sly symbol of his allegiance to no lord and no ideals to wear one with no decoration or markings. The only time he had worn a different cloak was when he had had a different name, a different future. He vastly preferred this one. "Baron Alanis... I'm still kind of... well, I guess coming to terms with the idea." He laughed the idea off and scratched the back of his head.

While he was revealing his woefully inadequate coping mechanisms, Tala had been busy cutting another slice of orange, and now she held it towards him with a smile. "Want a bite, darling? I assure you, it's very sweet..." she said, her tone sing-song and playful. "Of course," he said warmly, taking it from her. He ate it with a grin. "Leaving aside the troubles with the monarchy, let's go back to the whole 'except in the eyes of the law' thing. I say we should make plans to correct that, what do you think?"
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:44:54 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 26, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »

William smile twitches up at the corners.
"Hmm...I was expecting at least a little test trial before they put someone after my head...and yes the city does need some-heh who am I kidding? A lot of work and the Lord does need to be taught a lesson...But of course, I am busy trying to do just that...Except for teach the Lord a lesson. At least for right now. "
William paused for a moment.
"Why do you think I require any help? And I mean no disrespect when I say that. I'm also curious at what sort of rumors you heard, concerning myself...?"
Chironas leans forward, speaking musingly-with a slightly humorous bent. She enjoys watching the contest of wills between the two men interrupted on her behalf. Her anger has subsided, for now with his gentle nudging.

"Once I heard a rumor that William was a member of a secret society that drinks the blood of kidnapped virgin maidens under the full moon..."

She rubs her chin in mock contemplation.

"Where were you last night, love?"

Chironas smiles, dropping her own hand to Williams knee, tending his knotted muscles with deliberate fondness.

Terryn affected a thin smile, taking a short swig of his drink as the woman spoke. Had she not been clearly joking, he might have been willing to believe the rumor. They were talking about the head of a Lonemine Chapter, after all. As soon as he began to speak again the smile disappeared, little as it was: The Hedge Knight was all business. "Rumor has it," he replied slowly, pausing to take another swig of his drink. It went down faster than he'd have liked, and he paused to grimace, "That a certain someone not only incapacitated the local guard, but stormed the Lord's manor as well...Naturally, the city's defenses are in a bit of a spot right now as a result."

He shrugged, and gave William a wide grin. "Of course, obviously whoever did this didn't accomplish whatever they were after. The Lord's still kicking, and he wasn't even afraid to hire a band of mercenaries to hunt the fellow down." The Knight-Commander took another sip of his drink, and waved away that line of discussion.
"As for why I think you require help, well..." he paused only a moment to recollect his thoughts, and then continued, "The Lords and Captains of Lonemine are notoriously cunning, so surely you know the value of having a band of mercenaries such as we at your disposal. And what's more, I've heard you've come into a bit of funds as of late...so surely you'll be able to meet our modest price."

He shifted back in his seat and glanced about before abruptly dropping the pretense, speaking in a lowered voice: "And I'm sure you'd like to finish the job, hm? And a bit of revenge against those who'd have your head for the first go 'round? Well, turns out I'm a bit more spiteful than that, and the Thornbred charge less for jobs they want to do."
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 26, 2011, 03:57:49 pm »

"I suppose we should make if official..." Tala murmured coyly.

She took his hands in her own.

"I was thinking of doing it early this summer...time for guests to arrive from afar, and for me to plan something suitably...extravagant. It will be a marvel Ligoria has never seen."

..and all at the Dragon Empires expense, Tala thought, with a degree of vindication. 

Tala finished her orange, cleaned her hands delicately. She began going through a mental checklist, speaking her thoughts out loud.

"Ah, the guest list. I only have a few dozen people I could trust to come...

Of course, Veritas and Vespius will be back from their 'vacation' by then...I can probably get them to take off their armor, and put on some a nice shirt and pair of cleans pants for at least a day...

Somehow I think the Crow will be attending, even if we don't invite him...or at least he'll do a fly over to insult the Queen and steal the cake.

I wish my old friend Lady De Plume could attend, but...politics...a pity, she's gorgeous, a compliment to any party. She'd surely like to meet you again Pasha, and then bed and kill you. Remember, she's a Black Widow? But I don't hold that against her sense of style.

Gunn Gorvasten might come, if I could actually get a letter to him all the way in Uden. Assuming he's still alive. I heard he was boiled to death in winter pudding for rebelling against his government...

Remember the Pirate Captain we met a few years back? The one who locked me in that war chest? Halbert would probably love an invite-if only so his crew could sack Talama...and kidnap me as his pirate bride...fellows probably quite fond of me, even now...

I'm sure Matthew will attend, if only to find a dark corner and scowl at us dramatically as we say our vows. I hope he takes it well. He's probably heard all about it by now."

Tala rattled off many names completely by memory-almost half of which were dead, missing or wanted to kidnap and/or kill her. This was fairly humorous.

As she finished, she looked at Pasha quizzically.

"Do you have anyone that you want me to put on the list, Pasha?

I know you've left a string of very happy waitresses and barmaids all up and down the Storm Coast...we might need a few more tents if we intend to invite them all..."

Tala smiled, daringly and charmingly. Ahh, Romance.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 26, 2011, 04:24:52 pm »

"And I'm sure you'd like to finish the job, hm? And a bit of revenge against those who'd have your head for the first go 'round? Well, turns out I'm a bit more spiteful than that, and the Thornbred charge less for jobs they want to do."

...This is to good to be true, and remember what people say about things that sound too good to be true? It usually isn't. Or this is going to blow up in your face.
...There's Galam...
...The Gangs...
...Lonemine...
...Ligoria...
But then again, the best place to stab somebody in the back is the battlefield. Of course it is. After all that’s what you did to Sir Jalcross.
He deserved it.
Indeed he did. And with his death that poor village full of innocent women and children was avenged. I'm glad you listened to me then.

William rested his hand on his forehead and ran his hand through his hair. One of his fingers slowly began tapping on  Chironas' knee. When he realized he was doing this, he moved his hand back up to the table and let it tap against that instead. His voice however remained the same, despite the internal argument.
"So, how much are you asking for?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 26, 2011, 07:26:52 pm »

The game seemed to be close to winding up, so Juan made his final plays in case of a win.  After the game's completion (and any incidents following it), Juan continued listening and talking at the tavern, trying to get a feel for the mood in the air.

Repeat action:  Listen to rumours, get feeling for mood in the town regarding the rebellion.

Finish the card game, try and come out ahead - or at least with drinking money.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 26, 2011, 08:35:20 pm »

William rested his hand on his forehead and ran his hand through his hair. One of his fingers slowly began tapping on  Chironas' knee. When he realized he was doing this, he moved his hand back up to the table and let it tap against that instead. His voice however remained the same, despite the internal argument.
"So, how much are you asking for?"
The Hedge Knight spread his hands, affecting a wide-eyed and amiable expression. "To start, an equal share of the spoils. We don't intend to stick around long after, don't worry about that," Terryn began, silently wondering how the other man could remain so calm after receiving, and potentially accepting, such an offer. "As well as, perhaps, the funds that we might require to purchase any equipment when performing our part of the task, once a plan has been laid out. If necessary. Though I'm sure my men want some funds for a nicer to place to stay, we can remain in the field for now."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 27, 2011, 12:13:20 am »

The Hedge Knight spread his hands, affecting a wide-eyed and amiable expression. "To start, an equal share of the spoils. We don't intend to stick around long after, don't worry about that," Terryn began, silently wondering how the other man could remain so calm after receiving, and potentially accepting, such an offer. "As well as, perhaps, the funds that we might require to purchase any equipment when performing our part of the task, once a plan has been laid out. If necessary. Though I'm sure my men want some funds for a nicer to place to stay, we can remain in the field for now."
Hundreds of plans and counter-plans raced through William's mind. But once again his voice was level and calm.
"When can you be ready?”

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 27, 2011, 12:58:45 am »

Pasha listened attentively as Tala named off a guest list, although it seemed the majority of names she dropped were just to get his goat, like Lady De Plume. He thought he remembered seeing her, or at least heard her name, back when he was in Kothitas, but he wasn't quite sure. I think she was the one with the long black hair in five braided tails and blue eyes. Always wore black and red. Then there was Gunn Gorvasten. Boiled in pudding? His eyebrow quirked up. They do have some odd customs in Uden, don't they?

Tala mentioned a pirate captain. "Oh, right. Halbert." He grinned. "He was pretty mad when I ripped out his eye and locked him in the hold. Certainly distracted him long enough for me to get the keys and, uh, 'rescue' you." As fun as that was, never again in a chest. Ever. "Well, I'm sure he would like to sack Ligoria, if he hasn't gotten sunk yet." Finally, she mentioned Matthew Turin, and he shrugged. "I doubt we could keep him away, invited or not. We might as well let him in the front door rather than force him to go to the trouble of finding an unlocked window... although knowing that guy, he might actually prefer sneaking in..."

Raising an eyebrow of her own, Tala said, "Do you have anyone that you want me to put on the list, Pasha? I know you've left a string of very happy waitresses and barmaids all up and down the Storm Coast...we might need a few more tents if we intend to invite them all..." She grinned at him, plainly pleased by the light taunting. "I don't know about that... I imagine a lot of them would be happy if they were in your place." He tapped his chest with a finger to indicate what he meant. "The only person I would want to invite has been dead for a very long time." Rather than dwell on that, he changed the subject slightly.

"I've been working it out, and I think I know why Marshal Vandire and I got off on the wrong foot, more than any other reason." He took another slice of orange and studied it. "I was watching the pair of you on the march, and it seems to me like he thinks of you as almost a daughter of sorts." He laughed to himself. "And that makes me the young man who's not good enough for his daughter. I can almost understand his position. If we have a daughter, I would be the same way to her suitors."

He ate the slice of orange. I hadn't even thought about the idea of children. I've been careful - and lucky at times - so far, but once we're married we'll be expected to produce an heir of some sort for the Alanis barony. If we do have a daughter... maybe we can name her after her mother. Her real name. He decided there wasn't a need to discuss such matters at the moment. "Anyway, inviting him and Kathos would be a good idea. Maybe Wilhelm, too. He seemed like a nice man. The Queen will probably attend. Do you know of anyone else in the city or castle it might be a good idea to invite?"
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:00:27 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 27, 2011, 06:41:38 am »

As he left the House of Healing and returned to his quarters in the Barracks, Nikephoros contemplated the entire situation. He still got not clear response form the officers, mood among the soldiers seemed to be shifting daily. But the uncertainty hung in the air. everybody could feel that.

Laythe removed form real power and left as a figurehead, that would be the perfect solution. It was also the unnatainable one, or so seemed to him. That crazy girl (becase Nikephoros could hardly take her seriously anymore) would probably do something atrocious again rather than let herself be moved to a ceremonial position. He hoped that she could see the reality of the situation. He was most likely hoping in vain.
The more drastic options ... while hard to bear, they had to be thought of as well, being the most likely course. Who would take crown in Laythe's position? Most likely no one, at least in short term. There were no clearly defined rules and obligations for a monarch; everyone instead hoped that it would be a sane person or someone surrounded with a corps of reasonable administrators. Hoping for a good outcome ceased to be a viable solution however. Permament council of state had to be etablished that would take care of ruling, be it a kingdom or a republic.

And Tala and her boy... He had conflicting feelings about her. He had grown to see her like a niece or a daughter, through the merit of age dfference and their relationship so far. But at the same time he was not above seeing her like all men did. Her red hair, her eyes, her body...
But he would be destroying someone's life again, and he had no right interfering. Pasha was not a bad man, and they seemed fine with each other. He would make for a fine adjutant and maybe a protégé. Nonetheless, they were all too close to make anything like that work. Best to leave personal things on he side for now. He was too close to solving Ligoria's problems to get emotional and duty was always the most important thing for him.
Maybe too important.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:49:05 am by Ardas »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 27, 2011, 02:07:14 pm »

Hundreds of plans and counter-plans raced through William's mind. But once again his voice was level and calm.
"When can you be ready?”
"That really depends on the task at hand," Terryn replied casually, taking a small sip from his drink, "But summer at the earliest...so sooner rather than later. I am not a man to waste my own time. I'd like to see about getting the criminal element to stir up a little chaos though. Might help to split the defenses. Either way, here is not the place to discuss strategy."

He paused a moment, contemplating, and then offered his hand for a shake once more. "So, do we have a deal?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 27, 2011, 02:39:12 pm »

William shook the Terryn's hand, keeping hold a second longer then needed, and then winked at him when Terryn made eye contact again.
"Of course. I'll contact you at the end of the week with your pay and with the plan...and it will meet all expectations."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: December 27, 2011, 03:00:37 pm »

The Hedge Knight frowned. "I would prefer to take part in the planning process, if you wouldn't mind. If not, I suppose it can't be helped. You know where to find me, I assume? Our camp is fairly hard to miss."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:24 pm »

William nodded lazily.
"Yes, I know where your camp is, and if you wish, you can assist with the planning process. Is there anything else you need to speak about? I have other less important business that I wish to attend to today."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 27, 2011, 03:21:49 pm »

"That would be all," Terryn replied, returning to his drink, "Fair travels, friend."

Any actions I make after this point are for summer.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 220