Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231560 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #2040 on: December 10, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »

Franz knew that he wasn't lucky to get this progress. This guy was waiting for somebody like him, he also wasn't working for the Queen. Will he be walking to his death, maybe, but having a monarch controlled assassins guild might be bad for independence. Let's see how this goes.

Franz took a walk through the city's parks and squares before visiting the Bleeding Scales. He asked to speak with Kraai from the bartender. He was indeed led to a back room. The bartender asked him if he would like something, Franz refused.

Visit the Bleeding Scales and talk to Kraai.

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: December 10, 2011, 06:19:14 pm »

The man you met earlier- Hugo- greets you. Upon his shoulder is a raven, who, the bartender informs you, is the man you asked to meet.

"Ah, hello again. Walk with me a moment."

He leads you through a bunch of narrow and confusing corridors, until you stand before a large painting depicting a Weylandish vessel on stormy seas. Hugo looks around, then presses one of the shields on the boat. The cleverly-concealed button clicks, and the wall beside the painting swings open, revealing a stairway leading down into the dark.

"After you, mister- I'm sorry, I didn't catch you name?"
Long Live United Forenia!

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: December 10, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »

Terryn, accompanied by three of his men, travels to the Lord's Manor. He seeks a meeting with the Lord of Polca regarding a job. If he cannot meet with the Lord despite his best efforts, he will settle for the guard captain.

As you approach the lords manor, you notice a few guards standing in front of a pair of closed gates. Standing a little a bit away from these guards and leaning against the gates post is a young man, wearing a large two sizes too large Crimson colored leather greatcoat over some plain leather armor. You recognize the uniform as that of a Crimson Guardsman, who often patrolled around in your childhood hometown. But no self respecting or intelligent Crimson Guard would ever let his uniform get in such disarray. There is only one patch- one with a black rose entangling a horse- on it and the leather of the coat has holes and cut marks in it.
He's tapping his feet with impatience and frowning slightly.

You approach the gate guards. They look at you funny for a moment, then the rest go back to giving the man a look of open hate, which the Man is tactfully ignoring.

"Yes, what is it that you want, Sir?" One of the Gate Guards asks, finally pretending to have just noticed you.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:25:06 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: December 11, 2011, 04:24:10 am »

"The name is Franz, Franz LaWitch."

Franz looks down the staircase.

"I'm sorry, but I must insist that you go first."

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: December 11, 2011, 08:49:16 am »

"...ah, of course. Lest you find yourself at the bottom of the stairs with a knife in your back. Well, all right. Just watch your step, and close the door behind you."

Hugo makes his way down the stairs, and knocks at a door at the bottom, motioning for you to follow.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: December 11, 2011, 09:00:58 am »

Franz follows the man down the stairs, closing the door behind him.

"I have told you my name, but you haven't told yours."

After walking down the stairs a bit more.

"You guys aren't just criminal low-lives. You are either a very organized group of criminals or you work for another country. By the way, if you ever need to do what you did on the building site, be a bit more subtle, it was most suspicious. However don't worry, my entire family's being is pseudo-legal, depending on who is hiring us at the moment of course. You have a nice operation here."

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:03:04 am by vagel7 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: December 11, 2011, 10:23:07 am »

"You aren't much one to be talking about subtlety, my friend. Ah, but you are correct. I have not told you my name."

Hugo laughs. A small hatch opens in the darkness, letting through a sliver of light. From the other side, a voice recites something in some long-dead tongue.

"Quid ridetis cum pugno sanguinis?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that on account of my guest. Its me, open up."

There is some muttering. After a moment, the door opens, revealing a dimly-lit cellar beyond, which contains several shady-looking people. Several doors lead off into the darkness. From the faint smell emanating from one of them, you guess it is connected to the sewers. Hugo steps into the room, turns about, and spreads his arms in welcome.

"Isn't this nice? Welcome, my friend, to the sanctuary of the Bleeding Fists. I am your host, Hugo van Vissersdorp; master artist. These burly gentlemen are here to provide protection should negotiations go sour, but really, what is the chance of that? Now, refreshments and entertainment. Snap to it, thugs."

The thugs in question roll their eyes, but the wine is brought forth, and one of them takes out a small stringed instrument, upon which he plays a jolly tune.

"Light, yes, they are a right civilized bunch once you get to know them. Not, as you say, a bunch of lowlife criminals with no drive or motivation. No, we have ulterior motives here. The Bleeding Fists are the largest gang in this city, and the most feared and respected. And this embassy- or more specifically, these areas beneath the embassy- serve as their safehouse. Diplomatic immunity means we can keep the guards out without being questioned, and the frankly ingenious design of the various secret passageways means that even if someone got in, they wouldn't be able to find anything incriminating.
And which nation is so cold-blooded as to allow criminals to use their embassy as a base of operations? Why, the glorious empire of Hactur, of course! I kid, they're nice folks. Technically I'm an honorary citizen, for the purpose of running this place."

Hugo pours himself another glass of wine.

"So that's who we are. Powerful, ambitious, and quite organized. Now, obviously we don't tell this sort of thing to random strangers. Or anyone at all who isn't a trusted member of the Bleeding Fists or the embassy structure. But I figure there's no way you will reject our offer, and even if you did- you seem like someone who knows to keep what he knows to himself.
Ah, right. The offer. You want to work as an assassin, and eventually create an assassins guild. You were intending to offer your services, I understand, to the crown? Let me tell you for free that doing so would get you killed. Good queen Laythe does not understand the way the world works. If she heard there was a man offering assassination services walking around Talama, she would have you thrown into the Arena faster than you could say Moon-cursed Psychobitch.
No, the Queen does not take kindly to that sort of thing. Not at all. We, however, are much more open to experimentation. I'm sure that we could find use for an assassin or two every now and then. Yes, I can think of a few people who the world would be better of without. And in exchange for these services... well, there's the refuge of the embassy- a wonderful place to lie low should there be trouble with the guards. There's the support of the Bleeding Fist, should you ever need a little brute force to do your work. Of course, there would be money. But most importantly, I feel, we can let you start your "Assassins' Guild" right away. You can recruit from the Fists- I'm sure some of them have the finesse needed for your more elegant lifestyle- and use the embassy as a temporary HQ. We wouldn't really care what you did or who you worked for, so long as you didn't actively work against us- just having the favour of a bunch of highly trained assassins would be reward enough."

"So, what do you say? Does this offer interest you?"

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: December 11, 2011, 11:07:11 am »

Franz certainly wasn't expecting this. He will accept the deal without a doubt and will start training two assassins.

"I accept your deal. I would like to start out by training two at the beginning and then moving up from there. I would need somebody who is subtle, well mannered, agile, educated to a certain degree and is able to think on his/her feet. Also, do you maybe have some work for me that I could start with?"

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: December 11, 2011, 11:44:11 am »

Flanked by Ian and Oswald, with Donald close behind, Terryn had thought that the had cut the look of 'trouble' quite well. The guard's impudence, however, would say otherwise. Doing his best not to snarl and audibly growl at the man for ignoring him, the hedge knight's eyes flicked about the area surrounding the gate, settling on the Crimson Guard for a moment.
It did not take much for him to put two and two together. He had grown up in Stonewood, he knew the treachery which might be found in their leading class. Regardless of the sort of men who he dealt with and led, Sir Terryn had his wits about it. And the first thing these wits did was assume; the assumption being that the portion of the Crimson Guard who this man was attached to, and whomever he served, -- Terryn did not recognize the patch -- were likely related to the recent heated events in Polca.

That was an issue that he would deal with sooner, rather than later, the Hedge Knight decided. Keeping abreast of Lonemine affairs was always an intelligent decision, and as it was quite likely that the fires and insurrection were not the end of trouble, if the apparent stability found afterwards was any indication, there was likely more on its way. He would need to remember to send Donald or Bjorn out to find out more, if he did not decide to simply do so himself. Regardless, it was at this point that one of the Gate Guards deigned to notice him.
"Alert your Lord that Sir Terryn Selgvrdson of the Order of the Rose, Commander of the Thornbred Knights, wishes to speak with him at once." he replied curtly, vitriol at the fool's contempt seeping into his order, "And you best remember your place and do so quickly."

Terryn makes a mental note to learn more about Lonemine activity in Polca, before attempting to intimidate the Gate Guard into being allowed to treat with the Lord of Polca.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:23 pm »

"Fabulous! I'll let this lot explain the details of our operation to you. Ask around, I'm sure you'll be able to find some suitable recruits amongst them. I have paperwork to do, so I'll be upstairs. Feel free to visit anytime if you have questions. As for work... well, yes, I can think of something. Talk to me again once you've settled in, and I'll give you something to do."

Hugo leaves. The Fists explain whatever you need to know to you. A bunch of members who vaguely fit your description are rounded up. They are mostly lower class in birth, so their education is... somewhat lacking. But there are those amongst them who know their three Rs, and are willing- if not eager- to learn a more refined skill set. You can pick recruits as you see fit.

((Which is to say, make them up yourself.))

A few days later, you are invited to Hugo's office. It is on the top floor of the embassy, well lit by the large (open) window, and filled with paintings in various stages of completion. Hugo is sitting behind his desk, which is a chaotic pile of paperwork, but he stands up when you come in.

"I trust you have found everything to your liking? The recruits are in order, and the Fists are helpful? Well, as promised, I have some work for you. A few months back- last summer, it was- a friend of mine suffered some injuries. She fell into an unwakeable sleep because of it. I've looked into the matter, and it seems certain that she was poisoned. Now, I didn't have a clue who could have done it, but recently I heard about a certain Hacturi thug by the name of Awalia, who likes to use a poison which matches the symptoms suffered by my friend. As it happens, she has recently risen in the ranks of the Double Noughts after a series of unfortunate illnesses.
The Double Noughts... are not friendly towards us. They aren't our enemies... but their operations cut into the profits of the Fists, and we would like it if they had a little less power. So taking out one of their officers is to our advantage. And it would be a good way for you to prove your skill, and gives me a little personal satisfaction as well."

"The Dubs consider killing one's superior a valid method of promotion, so Awalia's death shouldn't raise too many questions- but still, try to keep it subtle. I've got a report here on her movements and habits, which should help you track her down. If you've got any questions, ask the Fists."

((Dwarmin: Would you be willing to deal with this?))

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: December 11, 2011, 01:20:07 pm »

"Alert your Lord that Sir Terryn Selgvrdson of the Order of the Rose, Commander of the Thornbred Knights, wishes to speak with him at once." he replied curtly, vitriol at the fool's contempt seeping into his order, "And you best remember your place and do so quickly."

Terryn makes a mental note to learn more about Lonemine activity in Polca, before attempting to intimidate the Gate Guard into being allowed to treat with the Lord of Polca.

[3] The man looks at you with contempt, before shrugging. "Yes sir, I'll go do that right away sir."
He walks with deliberate slowness to the door of the manor, muttering things how about wretched impudent pups, needing to learn their place.((Awaiting CG now.))

Meanwhile, the Crimson Guardsman looks at you, just a subtle turn of the head after overhearing you talking to the guards. And then in Native Mirish, with a voice that doesn't sound like anything like a man's, she speaks.
"It will take awhile for them to even get the message to the lord, the guard will most likely get some food and take a smoke break before he speaks with him. Then the lord will keep you waiting while he beefs up security or something. I recognize your accent, but I cant quite place it, somewhere in the Mirish Coast?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: December 11, 2011, 02:01:04 pm »

Franz had found two very good candidates, an 18 year old tall Lucius and a 19 year old Ludwiga. Both of them seemed to be quite agile and can read and write, they also both really want to do this.

"I have chosen you two as the foundation of my little guild or agency. From you I require your up most discipline and loyalty. As an assassin you must be able to quickly kill your foes, you will be using cheap tactics to overcome people, you will manipulate people and morals play no role. You will be noticed only when you want to be, you must be able to fit into a crowd seamlessly, you must be subtle. Everything is allowed in our line of work, but I must have your up most loyalty, you must be willing to do everything to finish the task at hand. You will be trained into pure professionals by me.
Wash yourselves and groom yourselves, tomorrow you will be going to the library."

Franz hands them 2 letters, both indicating that he gives them permission to use the full reach of the library under his family's name.

A few days later Franz visits Hugo, who has a job for him.

Listening to Hugo about the juicy assignment he smiles a bit.

"I'll gladly accept and here I was thinking that you would give me some puny thief or something like that."

Franz reads the file and gives the apprentices the task of studying anatomy, biology, alchemy, engineering, history, geography and literature.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: December 11, 2011, 03:45:45 pm »

Franz opened the file with a smirk...

Subject: Awalia (second name un-known)
Racial: Hacturi Lizard
Affiliation: Double Noughts Boss (See attached file)

Info: Target Awalia is an outcast Hacturi who refused to leave the city when the Mileth was emptied of the lizards. She already had almost a decade serving in the Razors as a top notch bodyguard, but was forced into service of the Double Noughts when her gang abandoned her rather than risk scrutiny. Her rise into the Dubs command structure was more due to luck than anything-she caught the eye of a Dub Boss looking for a bodyguard. Recently, her boss was found dead in his office from drinking a cup of poisoned coffee, and her rise into his position was uncontested.

Skills: Awalia is proven a vicious and cunning fighter, but lacks finesse. She isn't skilled in martial weapons-preferring her fists, feet and astonishing physical strength to surprise enemies. It cannot be stressed enough-Awalia is a master of street fighting. Subject was observed to take out five Razor Agents in a botched assassination attempt in the course of two minutes, all without drawing her weapon. The subject is also noted to have a disturbing amount of acess to poisons and venoms, and deploys them in...creative ways. We doubt she's an alchemist herself, but if she has a supplier, we couldn't find his/her identity.

Habits: Target seems to live for 'work'. She was observed to spend the full week patrolling her territory with her gang, intimidating marks personally and ordering underlings to do tasks for her. Her off times is usually spent hidden away in the warehouse district of Talama, where our agents had difficulty following without being tagged. Almost certainly on a high from her recent promotion, she might wisen up soon, and become more paranoid-for now, she's seemingly unafraid of any threat. During times that seemingly had no pattern, she was observed to visit several public bars and pubs outside of her regular territory with only her a few Hactur guards, though she doesn't drink here-Awalia seems to be maintaining ties with other Hacturi criminals in the city, in other gangs, for what purpose other than friendship we cannot determine. They have been noted to wear similiar tattooed markings.

Target doesn't drink alcohol very often-paranoia due to her knowledge of venoms, most likely, but does enjoy a certain bestial Hacturi tradition of eating nearly raw meat with every meal. Indulges in a monthly ritual of smoking expensive blueleaf on the roof of her recently acquired office at night. Has a young daughter who lived in Polca, but exact relationship, if any is unknown.

Target has a flair for the dramatic and the ironic, likely inherited from her former boss-was observed to call out a Razor Gang Leader for a one on one duel, then have him shot from behind by half a dozen concealed crossbow wielding enforcers as soon as he stepped into the street. Don't trust her to play by the rules.

Spoiler: Attached File (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:50:26 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: December 11, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »

Subtly search the warehouse district for any information about Awaria

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: December 11, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »

As the Crimson Guardswoman approached, several things happened. First, Ian stepped between his commander and the woman. Next, at nearly the same time, Donald shifted his weight onto his back foot, a dagger appearing in his hand as Oswald dropped a hand to the handle of his throwing axe. Last, but not least, Terryn let out an exasperated sigh. These men were loyal to a fault, not that this was a bad thing.

"I imagine they will." he agreed, mostly musing to himself. "And should he keep me to long," he added, just loud enough for the other gate guard to hear, "than no amount of strengthened security will maintain my rage. I understand that he is currently in dire need of mercenaries of all stripes for a reason." The commander of the Thornbred Knights affected a slight grin, his intense gaze meeting the woman's directly and without pause, almost predatory as he continued speaking without breaking stride. "And yes, I hail from the Mirish coast. Most my of the Hedge Brothers do. I take it you are from Lonemine?"
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 220