Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231723 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #1920 on: December 05, 2011, 10:30:47 am »

Meanwhile...

"You're telling me you didn't see anything, Vespius?" The young soldier asked.

Vespius frowned.

"Listen-I'm not one to engage in gossip mongering...but if I did see something-and I didn't, and you didn't hear this from me..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Queen knocked out the enemy general with a flying tackle! Completely unprovoked!"

some of the soldiers laughed quietly, others shook their heads.

"Psychobitch es really done it *this* time..."
"He could have attacked her, though-we don't anything for sure. And, maybe they'll use the general to force the end of a siege...this could work out...right?"
"Yeah, and what about the next battle? Nobod-ey will eva want to negotiate with us again. There's certain rules of war one must obey..."
"Yeah. What's next? Executin' prisoners? Pillaging Women? I didn't sign up to be no bloody pirate raider."
"Calm down, I'm sure this will all be straightened out in the morning. Just keep your heads on straight lads..."
"Yeah-keep to yourselves and those you trust. Wind of...these sorts of things makes Noblekin itchy to use the noose, you know what I mean? We can trust Marshal Nikephoros, I hope, but the others...I'm not so sure."
"Specially that flame haired fellow that hangs around Lady Alanis, I don't like him. You think...he and her...you know?"
"Oh, we got *another* admirer here, gentlemen. Jealous of the ladies affections, he is..."

A chorus of uneasy laughs, followed by an uncomfortable silence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man in the supply wagon-delivering fresh bacon for tomorrows breakfast-had been a bit troubled by what he had heard the soldiers talking about.

"Straight to Talama, right?"
"That's the intent."
"Now remember-on pain of death and dismemberment and etc, etc, you are NOT to speak of anything you have seen or heard here, at least for the duration of the campaign. You hear?"
"Right-o...sir"

The Quartermaster frowned as the supplyman rode off with a clatter. Those guys, always so chatty...

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: December 05, 2011, 10:41:39 am »

((I assume that Tala is following Niko as it was stated before))
Back in his tent, Nikephoros asked the doctor to remove himself, assuming that the "patient" was stable, although still unconscious. He sat back in his chair which he left not so long ago and poured himself another cup of wine.
With only himself and Tala in the tent, he felt that he can finally speak his mind on the situation. Queen be damend if she hears any of this, everything was getting out of hand.

"So Tala, as you can see, this what happens if you got too many cooks in one kitchen"
. Nikephoros stated sourly. "Lesson number one: If you can, make sure that everyone in you go to war with is below you in rank. but that seems quite evident does it not? What is the use of being a marshal if I have irresponsible brat brawling with enemy commanders? Heh, she should have asked him out to duel, that would save us all a lot of headaches."

He took another sip of wine.
Why don't you pour yourself some? It makes talking easier, at least to me. And my dear Kathos, who else can deal with that crazy bitch but him? Maybe we should marry both of them with each other and have the problem over with? He laughed sarcastically. No doubt he could also take care of the soldiers with his honeyed words. But where does that leave ol'Nike?

Nikephoros then took on serious tone again.
Infighting of any kind means defeat, even before the battle starts. It should have been just you or Kathos with me here, not the whole court. Laythe thinks this is all a big game. But If she wants this army to work, she must let me work. I won't let her throw away lives of all these people just so she can play wargames.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:22:21 am by Ardas »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: December 05, 2011, 11:05:54 am »

Kathos waked up early that morning. Fifteen minutes later, he called Adrian to his tent.

"I'll make this quick, Adrian; I have alot of things to do today. By now, the rumors will be starting to spread. Go around the other regiments and have a little chat with as many soldiers as possible - tell them that you heard me and the Marshal saying that the Arctic Fox attacked the Queen first, and that Laythe suffered light wounds during the fight. You can do that?"

"Of course, sir."

"Perfect. Send in Cletus before you leave."

Cletus arrived two minutes later. He was a sergeant in Kathos' regiment.

"Go to the Marshal. Tell him that he can do the speech for the soldiers."

If the speech worked well, Nikephoros was hopefully going to be in a good mood during the followign days, and maybe he would believe that Kathos had finally accepted that he could do everything for the army without having to deal with 'The stupid nobles'. And if the marshal failed to convince the soldiers, then maybe he would stop getting in Kathos' way. That man was getting quite annoying, especially since Kathos had other things to deal with.

Spread rumors in the camp saying that the Arctic Fox attacked the Queen first

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: December 05, 2011, 11:26:21 am »

'Tala' stayed respectfully quiet, at first. He was right, though. Spy or not, it was ironic that Tala did not intend for Ligoria to go up in smoke unless she was ordered to do exactly that. Laythes action would have consquences...she was going to make sure of that.

He motioned to the wine bottle.

Why don't you pour yourself some? It makes talking easier, at least to me.

She thought of merely toying with his offer of wine, taking slow sips and allowing him to get more drunk as the night wore on...and thought better of it. It had been a truly horrible day, and she needed to relax as well. In any case, Nikephoros was too disciplined to fall for that trick-if he sensed Tala playing political games, in his tent? In his army? He would never speak to her again. No, now was the time to be a friend-an ally-a willing ear. It was an easy part to play, because Nikephoros was not so bad a man, after all.

She smiled, and held out a glass for him to fill.

"Why not. This has been a truly dreadful day-I see you favor the local stock, strong and hearty. It will do for us both, tonight, I think."

Tala noticed he managed to fill her glass without spilling a drop, or without any visible tremble-he must have a fairly strong willpower, she mused.

"But, That's our Queen for you...I find it amazing how carefully I must present myself-in word, deed and action-while she shows such an amazing lack of subtlety...you know, Nikephoros-how hard I trained myself? Day after day, the endless drills on etiquitte and manners? All for what? For an Infant Queen to ignore me, day after day. To shut me out of every decision, to isolate me-when I have never done anything but try to aspire to greatness in her eyes.. It is...infuriating.

I am glad to seek your hand in this woeful adventure, Nikephoros-otherwise Laythe would have me locked back up in that damn mansion I'd been in for my entire life."

As he continued to speak, she found herself nodding empathetically. Good points he was making...

No doubt he could also take care of the soldiers with his honeyed words. But where does that leave ol'Nike?

"Kathos aspires to be a general of soldiers and a leader of men-and he fails at both by doing so.

Ah, but I...I think the Queen fears you, Nikephoros. She may tell herself it's just due paranoia-but I see it in her eyes. She sees the man that would rule wiser and stronger in her stead, and does not see how much you sacrifice for her, and Ligoria-I know that, more than anyone."

Tala nodded, drained a quarter of her glass. Whoops. Oh well. Much like Nikephoros, Tala found wine offered some respite from lifes trials. She thought to the lonely nights ahead without Pasha by her side, and took another drink.

Infighting of any kind means defeat, even before the battle starts. It should have been just you or Kathos with me here, not the whole court. Laythe thinks this is all a big game. But If she wants this army to work, she must let me work. I won't let her throw away lives of all these people just so she can play wargames.

That struck a chord. Tala had long held a simmering dislike of...these people. Like Laythe. High and mighty...not time for rgerets.

"Yes, the Queen...what does she know? Assualting that general will make us a target, a pariah state, easy to ignore-or demonize. Mark my words, when the word gets out-and it will, I know-the rest of the Storm Coast will be united against us. No matter how many lies we spin. Better honesty will let out, then the dance of deception that the Queen and her little puppets will make us endure for HER sake. Then again, what Queen ever faced responsibility for her actions?

For, Laythe does not care how many of MY men will die for her blunder, or yours. She will not have to see their widows walking the streets of MY city. No, she merely reacted-and who will pay the consequences?"

Tala took another drink.

"Not her-not even you or I, personally. The people. It's always the people that must pay...

More wine Nikephoros, if you please. Better we release what Demons we have been withholding now, than in her presence. For, we know how the Queen reacts to honesty..."

Tala felt a black mood coming on.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:33 am »

]"I said surgeons Tala, not guards! And you, Sheb, or whatever your name is, get ..."[/color]

Sheb turned around, smiling, just in time for a close-up of Veritas' hilt.

When he woke up, Sheb was inside a tent, his hand tied in his back to the central pole. All around him were nice furnitures, expensive carpets and beautiful tapestry. Whoever owned that tent was obviously a person of taste and wealth. Slowly, as the pain faded away, he remembered what happened before the blow. This tent was Tala's of course.

As if to prove him right, one of Tala's bodyguard entered the tent.

"Look like our young guest woke up? I hope you don't feel unwell, Veritas' invitations do lack subtlety sometime. You'll notice how hard it is to refuse them tough."

"As you say. Lady Alanis sure got a strange way to deal with unwanted suitors. I guess there is no point in asking you to let me join my unit, even if those were the Marshal's order? Even if I promise to come back and give you my purse as bail? Expected so.
Can you at least give me some water please? I'm afraid I came to the party with quite an hangover from the invitation. Also, my mare may like some water and forage as well, that stupid captain forbid us from feeding them this morning "So they don't piss in front of the general.". Quite the bastard if you ask me, I'd like to see HIM fast, with that big belly his horse can barely carry."

Sheb will continue chatting with Vespius until Tala's arrival.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: December 05, 2011, 11:41:09 am »

"He's awake?" Pasha asked. He had left standing orders with his - Tala's - troops to give him notification when the boy came to. He made his way to the tent and entered just in time to catch his response to the bodyguard. "Tend to his horse. There's no reason for an animal to suffer. I'll give him something to drink." The bodyguard bowed and left, and Pasha looked around for something suitable. After a moment he found a bottle of wine he and Tala had left half-finished. Keeping Sheb's gaze locked on his own, he took a drink out of it prove it wasn't doctored in any way, then held the bottle to the younger man's lips.

"Sorry that it's not water, but I thought you would prefer something now rather than wait for me to go find some." Once he was done drinking, Pasha set the bottle aside and sat down on a nearby chair. He sighed. "We have a few things to talk about, as you might guess. First, a supposition: you, too, have fallen for lady Tala Alanis?" He chuckled bitterly. "You're not the only one. I apologize for drawing my blades on you but when a man threatens her, well..." He spread his hands. "You would do the same, wouldn't you?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: December 05, 2011, 11:55:12 am »

"Well, thanks for the drink. When I said I was hpoing to meet you again at the siege, I sure wasn't thinking of this" said Sheb, raising his tied hand behing the pole.

"You're Lady Alanis' general right? Had I known that, I would have accepted your offer to serve under your orders, for you are right. I met the Lady in Talama, the day before the campaign's start, and I have been thinking of her ever since." He move a bit, trying to find a more comfortable position and failing. "I wouldn't dream in the world to hurt her. My sword was drawn against those two brutes of her. As I said at the time, I would have been happy to go and wait in here by myself."

Looking up at Pasha, Sheb's face suddenly darken. "Wait, what time is it? I didn't miss the battle, did I? Does my commander know where I am? He's strict as hell about punctuality, I can't imagine what he'll do to me if I missed a battle..."

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: December 05, 2011, 11:57:25 am »

Veritas enters the tent a moment later. He doesn't speak, but merely takes a corner and keeps an eye on you.

"No, the Lady wants to speak with you-and, if you want to qoute laws to me, you hired yourself on as a soldier, bound by oath to follow the orders of it's commanders...of which Tala Alanis is one of them."

He grins at Veritas-they seem to be enjoying a private joke between each other. Not a nice joke.

"Water, go fetch some water Veritas. Have someone tend to the Horse first, and then our friend...and then we can..."

Veritas steps out...

And, A few moment later, Pasha Dolgrouki steps in.

"Tend to his horse. There's no reason for an animal to suffer. I'll give him something to drink."

"Ah, yes mi'lord." Vespius said, bowing and leaving. Once outside, he cracked his knuckles and sighed.

Veritas was strolling up. Vespius put a hand on his old friends shoulder.

"Pasha's handling it...no worries friend. Let's go get some lunch.

You know how it is-that chap will be out of our hair, soon. He always leaves, and we always stay. Lady Alanis knows who truly values her...me and you...well, probably me more than you..."

Veritas grinned and punched his friend in the arm.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: December 05, 2011, 12:06:02 pm »

Waking up in pain is never an enjoyable process. As such the Arctic Fox's mood was immediately soured upon his return to consciousness. Gasping and groaning he made his way back to the waking realms. He spent a few minutes poking and prodding himself to find the extent of the damage.

Few broken ribs, nothing too serious. And no bindings, thats a good sign. But I am -clearly- inside the Ligorian camp. That'll probably be bad. Ah well. Time to use this to my advantage.

The Arctic Fox struggles to his feet, and endeavors to leave the tent where he is being cared for
--------------
Soldiers of the Arctic Fox tell the people what they saw, and try to get the captured regiments of Mileth to help stop the Ligorian invasion
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: December 05, 2011, 12:10:20 pm »

Pasha watched the bodyguards leave before responding. "It hasn't started yet." Pasha got up and moved over to Sheb. "Look, I don't think you're really a threat to any of us - you're me five or six years ago. Just be careful in the future, OK? Lady Tala is a very private person and she doesn't appreciate... zeal." Time for a lie... He wasn't wearing his armor or weapons -except for his gloves, of course - at the moment, so it was a simple matter to raise his shirt and show Sheb a few of ugly scars he had kept hidden from Tala by the simple expedient of never disrobing in the light. "Vespius and Veritas did that to me before she decided to give me a second chance."

He started untying Sheb's ropes. "I love the lady dearly, but... it can never be between us. We both know it. She's... Lady Tala Alanis, and brilliant I may be, but I'm not of high enough blood to court her." Pasha sighed. There was worse things he could do than maybe try to provide Tala some sort of companionship while he was away. She was probably going to be with someone, for appearance's sake if nothing else, so it might as well be someone he chose. "If you want to win her, simple is better. She doesn't like it when a man tries to show off his wealth for her. I know for a fact she likes Galam Honey Ale. Try bringing her some." Not many people knew that about her; if nothing else, she would probably take it as a sign that Pasha was - if only slightly - approving his interest in her.

"Take some time off and think about things. If any of Tala's bodyguards or soldiers give you any trouble, or if Lady Tala herself asks, say Commander Dolgorouki let you go. I'll take the responsibility for it. Just... do me a favor and stay away from her for a little while? With everything that's going on I doubt she wants any suitors at the present." He patted Sheb on the shoulder.

(Edit because I just now remembered Sheb was there and knew about the negotiation, Pasha doesn't need to mention it. That's insomnia for you. :\)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:26:25 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:33 pm »

Nikephoros poured another cup for himself and Tala.
Heh, sometimes I wish I was someone else...

He did not finish, seeing Arctic Fox coming to his senses and struggling to his feet.

Whoah, whoah, where do you think you're going...

Nikephoros quickly came over to the bed and foced man lay down back in the bed.
"You are too weak to walk. And I believe you would prefer to stay in my tent and talk to me. I am Marshal Nikephoros. "
He then noded at Tala.
"And this lovely woman is Lady Tala, my friend and a noble of Ligoria.
I apologize for queen's behaviour. I assure you that she won't be seeing you at all from now on."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: December 05, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »

"It hasn't started yet. There was a negotiation, and something went wrong. Only a few people know all the details, and they're not talking... although I have my suspicions."

"Well, from what I heard and saw, if your suspicions include someone attacking the ennemy commander and breaking several of his bone, they may very well be correct, especially if that someone isn't Sir Thunderblade.

"Look, I don't think you're really a threat to any of us - you're me five or six years ago. Just be careful in the future, OK? Lady Tala is a very private person and she doesn't appreciate... zeal. Vespius and Veritas did that to me before she decided to give me a second chance."

Sheb's face change to a paler shade of grey. "Well, I am glad I got away with a knock on my head then. The Lady is as dangerous as she is beautiful... Thank you for letting me go sir, be sure I won't do anything rash or foolish in the near future."

As he was going back to his unit, grinning at the memory of Veritas and Vespius' faces as he walked away, Sheb couldn't help wondering. Who was that Lady Alanis? She was well protected, even for a noble. Was it some Ligorian way of womanhood, that made the ladies brutal and violent? Anyway, there was no time for thinking. In the distance he could already see the bloated silhouette of his captain, fuming with anger at Sheb.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: December 05, 2011, 12:33:54 pm »

"It hasn't started yet. There was a negotiation, and something went wrong. Only a few people know all the details, and they're not talking... although I have my suspicions."

"Well, from what I heard and saw, if your suspicions include someone attacking the ennemy commander and breaking several of his bone, they may very well be correct, especially if that someone isn't Sir Thunderblade.

"Look, I don't think you're really a threat to any of us - you're me five or six years ago. Just be careful in the future, OK? Lady Tala is a very private person and she doesn't appreciate... zeal. Vespius and Veritas did that to me before she decided to give me a second chance."

Sheb's face change to a paler shade of grey. "Well, I am glad I got away with a knock on my head then. The Lady is as dangerous as she is beautiful... Thank you for letting me go sir, be sure I won't do anything rash or foolish in the near future."

As he was going back to his unit, grinning at the memory of Veritas and Vespius' faces as he walked away, Sheb couldn't help wondering. Who was that Lady Alanis? She was well protected, even for a noble. Was it some Ligorian way of womanhood, that made the ladies brutal and violent? Anyway, there was no time for thinking. In the distance he could already see the bloated silhouette of his captain, fuming with anger at Sheb.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: December 05, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »

"And this lovely woman is Lady Tala, my friend and a noble of Ligoria.
I apologize for queen's behaviour. I assure you that she won't be seeing you at all from now on."

At least he thinks I'm lovely when he's had a bit to drink, thought Tala whimsically, finishing her second glass before rising.

Ah, but here was the Arctic Fox-the Hero of the Dragon Empire. Sent to die. He wasn't quite dead yet, though.

She put a hand on the generals shoulder, trying to sooth him.

"A pleasure to meet you, General. Please, do not move-you are badly wounded by our...beloved...Queens misadventure. Rest assured, we are as shocked at you at this sudden turn of events."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: December 05, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »

Neither of them were probably Dragon Empire agents, so they likely wouldnt understand what he was about to say.
"I was dreaming of home. After I might add, being violently attacked by your queen during peaceful negotiations. I may, understandably be a little short with you.

So, I suppose you'll be the reasonable one then Marshal Nikephoros? Congratulations on your promotion incidentally. What is it you want?"

Admittedly the Arctic Fox did feel a bit too weak to be standing, but he was forced to put on a show of strength. People get tackled by a queen wearing armor every day after all.
(( Especially in Ligoria. ))
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:12:03 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 220