Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231609 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast
« Reply #390 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:35 pm »

Red Tiger Camp- two days later

"'Creepy', huh?"

"Very creepy. And foggy. I've never seen them scared like that before- there has to be something fishy going on in Polca..." Samantha drummed her fingers on the floor of the tent for a moment, thinking. "That said, we really should avoid it, for now. Whatever's happening there, there's nothing in the area worth risking our men over.

Which leaves us with Mileth and Ligoria. I'm not too sure about Ligoria, tho--"

"And Foomifart."

"Fiumefurt. And there's no way we're going there- it's too dangerous." She frowned, again absently drumming her fingers.

"Whatever. And besides, didn't you hear? The whole place is brimming with gold, silver, and jewels!"

"The whole place is a fortress, and it's practically on an island! That's the sort of place you attack with an army, not a band of bandits."

"Exactly! It'll be a heist, a grand heist! We rob them blind and we'll go down in history, and live like lords! Look at you, you're already plotting how to crack it. Besides, after tonight, we could very well have an army."

Samantha's hand freezes, and she stares at Liira, who's grin broadens ever so slightly. A few seconds pass in silence.

"...You're insane."

Later that day...

The motley bunch of bandit bosses had been led for nearly an hour in what seemed like circles through the forest, with the instructions "If ye value yer necks, keep quiet an' follow my lead.", while their guide gingerly stepped over and around innocuous-looking stones and branches, and- near the end of the trip- occasionally making strange bird calls into the forest.

Eventually, though, they arrive, to find a rough-cut table in the center of the camp bearing a modest feast, with the so-called "Red Tiger Gang"'s boss at the head- a strange looking green-haired foreigner, who, at second glance, turns out to be a woman, and younger than most of them. She's kitted out in full (if mish-mash) armor, though, with a sheathed claymore leaning against the table beside her- everywhere that isn't armored is almost naught but muscle and scars.

"Glad to see you could make it, gentlemen! Please, have a seat!" she gestures broadly at the dozen chairs around their half of the table.

Surveying the other leaders, she nods, almost inappreciably, to herself. Only two or three real warriors, but they're good ones.

When they approach the table, the old one-eyed man in the lead, her smile breaks out into her usual grin. "Storm Coast's finest, huh? I'm Liira, boss here. You?" she says cheerfully, leaning slightly over the table to extend a handshake to the grizzled bandit opposite her.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 09, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »

The hatcuri had already begun their trip to Lady Tala's estate. Of course this did not mean that Retcyl was leaving Thunderblade to deal with the problem himself, it was just to draw out the bandits.

Retcyl had made sure that several smaller groups of hatcuri were some distance away from the main group. These smaller groups would hopefully lure out the bandits. If they took the bait, the hatcuri with them would instantly offer them jobs with Retcyl, if they didn't accept then the regiment would come and kill them. Course there was always the chance that the bandits wouldn't come, but he had thought of that already. He had sent a few scouts to travel the areas where bandits were seen and try to speak with them and offer them jobs. Unfortunately, he would have to kill the bandits soon after otherwise the queen would have Retcyl's own head for a trophy...Course that didn't mean he had to kill them immediately.

Should diplomacy fail, then Retcyl could always order his men into the areas were bandits were seen...

But enough of this planning, Retcyl had some writing to do.

Spoiler: To Kawakai (click to show/hide)
Hopefully they would both understand the messages.

March towards Lady Tala's land, while making sure several smaller groups are left a distance behind or ahead. If bandits attack, offer them jobs. If not, get regiment to capture them.Send scouts to look around the areas the bandits were seen in. Offer the same deal. Send messages.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:15:51 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »

"I want to see you after this Tala..."

Beat the man into unconciousness if he's unarmed, kill if he is.

Needless to say, the battle is quite quick, and you beat the drunkard into a bloody pulp. He crumples into a heap.

You check his belongings...

[1] and find the thing he had under his coat was a crumpled letter. You take a quick look. As you guessed, his girlfriend left him for another woman, and she wrote him a long, sad letter explaining why she was no longer attracted to him, or the male gender anymore. It's hard to say if he was just fuming on a drunken rant, or if he actually intended to do something stupid.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 09, 2011, 04:14:10 pm »

"Right, chuck him into the prison for a couple of days so he can sober up."

Laythe then headed over to the servant you was twitching at the sight of one of the paintings.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 09, 2011, 04:15:55 pm »

William walks over and asks the servent who's looking at the painting, Whats the matter?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 09, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »

@Laythe
The drunkard is hauled away to a lightless dungeon.

[3] He'll be released in a few days, not very much wiser, but with much more of a grudge...

The young servant is long gone.

[6] And the painting is gone with him! It's been stolen! How the man expects to escape from inside the castle walls, you can't say...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@William
As you approach the servant, there is a sudden commotion-you look over and see the Queen about to beat something into a bloody pulp. When you turn back, you see the young man has picked up the painting and is sprinting for edge of the tent!

Tala's guards seem more interested in protecting her than the property. Looks like he's going to get away...unless you feel like chasing after him.

Guys quick on his feet though!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 09, 2011, 04:52:59 pm »

Huh....HAH...eh...
William shrugs, starts running and then throws the hooded cloak off and slides the mask down.

Chase him down, get painting back.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:03:48 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 09, 2011, 05:00:30 pm »

"Oi, get the guards to seal the gate, and get the hussars on alert for the thief! Tala, come with me! As well as you Hyte! And consider this party over..."

Head to the throne room.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 09, 2011, 05:55:34 pm »

Kathos sighed as he watched hell breaking loose. He took a sip of wine when the queen started to beat up a drunkard and another when a thief tried to make an escape. It was a shame he didn't have his sword. Since there was nothing else to do, he walked out of the tent and nodded towards his guards, who were waiting. One of them handed him his longsword.

"I guess we're not getting out of here before the thief is caught, soldiers. We'll wait by the gate until the guards open it. And then, back to the estate. I will not sleep in this city."

Leave the capital

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 09, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »

March towards Lady Tala's land, while making sure several smaller groups are left a distance behind or ahead. If bandits attack, offer them jobs. If not, get regiment to capture them.Send scouts to look around the areas the bandits were seen in. Offer the same deal. Send messages.
[4][4]You manage to contact most of the bandits, and offer them 'jobs'. [4]They seem sort-of interested, and only slightly suspicious.

When they approach the table, the old one-eyed man in the lead, her smile breaks out into her usual grin. "Storm Coast's finest, huh? I'm Liira, boss here. You?" she says cheerfully, leaning slightly over the table to extend a handshake to the grizzled bandit opposite her.
The man deliberately does not shake your hand. Instead he leers at you, and speaks in some sort of Udanese accent;
"I am Shark. Oldest bandit. I have lived here for many years, fought many battles. You are newcomer, also weak woman. You have fought no battles. You call us here like we are sheep, so we can all work together. Why should we listen to you, new woman? I have worked alone many years, never problems. Other bandits"-he gestures at the assembled bandits behind him-"the same. We do not want to work together with you"

Queen beats guy into pulp, also painting stolen
Hugo looks away from the beating, frowning slightly, and happens to glance a man making off with his painting. He looks thoughtful for a moment, then shrugs and turns away.
If the man was desperate enough to steal a painting whilst the queen was beating a guy to death for- what, being drunk?-right in front of his eyes, then Hugo wasn't going to stop him.
Long Live United Forenia!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 09, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »

"Ambassador, some men are here to meet you."

They were here, took them long enough.

"Send them in, only the leaders."

"Yes ambassador."

3 minutes later 6 men were seated in the tent.

One was wiry and elderly, another young and brazen. Yet another obese and greasy, and the others looked...muscled. All bandits however.

"Ah gentlemen I see you've come to talk...Care for any drinks?"

Two hatcuri waiters passed out glasses of wine or beer; not the expensive stuff of course. It was interesting to watch the reactions of his guest; some were suspicious, others took upon the drink greedily...but they all drank after Retcyl drank as well.

"Now, what exactly be this job you be offerin' us?' Said the elder.

"Ah, I ask a simple task...Give up your lives of banditry and work for me as my enforcers...Soldiers, bodyguards, what have you. I ask you instead of recruiting some men from the farms and city because you know how to fight, how to kill and you know the value of strategy and tactics...Something of a commodity these days."

"Uh-huh,  as nice as that offer is, why should we trust you? Your not even human and even if your truthful, the queen's gonna have us skinned!"

Huh. Someone with backbone. Well not to much trouble to disarm. Good thing the only people around were hatcuri.

"You severely overestimate the queen's reach. She has little power outside of the city, even in the docks she has far less strength. How else have you six been forced into banditry and continue to do this trade?"

"I will get pardons for all of you and your men and make sure your families are well treated, if you have any. I'll give you 6 time to mull it over, but be sure that you make your minds up before you leave camp."

It wouldn't be a lie; they would be officialy pardoned for their crimes...Posthumously. And as for their families, well Retcyl was honest about that, if his plans worked.

Offer the bandits jobs as my army, enforcers, bodyguards, spies, etc. Tell them that they are experienced men and that is why I have chosen them. Also ask them why they went into banditry in the first place. 
Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:19:56 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 09, 2011, 11:32:29 pm »

Completely undeterred, Liira grabs a chicken drumstick instead, and leans back, tearing a chunk from it. Underestimating me, huh? Suckers.

"Actually, a non-aggression pact simply means--" The older, shorter, and much more... womanly woman who had been nervously- almost invisibly- hovering behind Liira chimed in, before being silenced by a wave of the boss' hand.
"Relax, I got this."

Swallowing, she leans back in her chair slightly more, resting her boot up against the edge of the table and leveling the chunk of meat at the Udanese. "That's 'cos you bastards have it easy here. I've been in this business longer than you think, geezer- Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're good, but I see a bunch of bandits content to subsist; rob some caravans, an' keep the men happy with drinkin' an' wenchin'. But back in the Empire, see, it takes more than a sharp sword and sharp wits to make it in this business. You gotta have guts. Ambition. Or-" she paused for a moment to tear another bite out of the leg for emphasis, speaking out of the side of her mouth, "You get eaten up by the bigger fish."

Another momentary pause to let everyone chew on those words (as it were), before leaning forward again sharply, the legs of her chair clacking on the flat stone that it had been perched on to keep it slightly elevated above the others.

"Truth be told, my strategist here just wanted us to go over some boring-ass maps over supper and iron out some borders so that we didn't have to worry about anyone edging in on anyone's business- which is to say, so that I don't have to kill the lot of you assholes one by one- but I've got a much more interesting deal for you-" Liira leans in just a bit closer, lowering her voice by just a shade, -and if you're willing to work with the Red Tigers, I can make you dirty bums some of the wealthiest Gods-damned men on the Storm Coast by Mid-Winter's eve.

She leaned back again, casually tossing away the bone and hooking her arm over the back of the chair. "If you've got the guts."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:15:45 am by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 10, 2011, 05:08:33 am »

(Hyte/Laythe - post party)
[5] A messenger from Shola arrived near the end of the party. Knowing Hyte was there, the guards never pestered the messenger. Hyte read the news from his Lord and pitched the letter into a brazier. The messenger nodded, handed over a second letter and left.

shortly after

[4] Hyte left the party earlier than most. When the Queen put up the call for the Husars to mobilize, he used this as an opportunity to ditch his babysitters. Using the shouts and commotion as cover, [6] Hyte finds his way back into the throne room in time for [6] ample amounts of sitting on his ass. The queen was apparently still outside, so he decided to wait. He started rummaging around the room when he heard noises from the halls. [5] He had enough time to sit at a nice table before the queen entered the room...with a rather annoyed look on her face - and that was BEFORE she noticed Hyte.

------------------------------------
(Shola/Ghaz)

The Lord of Shola had the dead gathered quickly. He seemed unconcerned with the loss of ducats or goods by the raiders, he had accountants and moneylenders for assessment of that. After review of the raiders' corpses, he delegated the investigation aspects to several ranking members. [5] The fact these men were not from Ligoria was obvious. Mercenaries or not, there were lots of subtle mannerisms in dress that led to them being foreign. [4] The exact origin of the men was uncertain, but they also attacked the city from a direction that didn't make sense. [2] There were few organizations outside of Shola that could furnish another nation's uniforms, mercenary or no. [4] Galam seemed most likely and [4] a runner was sent to Galam, as well as Ligoria to discuss the matter.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 10, 2011, 05:52:43 am »

"Ah, Hyte, I assume you wish to speak to me about something? Do so then."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 10, 2011, 07:32:52 am »

Corvinus looked at his remaining men. The attack had been fruitful although they had more lost than gained. But now he needed more troops...luckily they had enough of the Ligorian Uniforms to clothe at least another dozen regiments.

Search for bandits,mercenaries,and similiar shady men and offer them to join me...
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 220