Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231780 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2011, 07:03:38 pm »

Get back to the city and meet with Hugo
"Ah, Retcyl. So glad you could make it. Beautiful view, isn't it?"

Hugo meets you on a cliff-top path, far from any buildings, and the prying ears concealed thereby. He has his easel with him, and is painting the bay below.

"Anyway. About my 'alternate' source of income. I asked you to meet me in person not because it is too complex, obviously, but because it is... not the sort of thing you want written down and handled by a common messenger.
...have you noticed, perhaps, how many guards patrol these streets? Do you know what happens to criminals around here?
To put it simply, they die. All of them. Everyone from pickpockets to murderers, arrested without mercy and into the arena. And no question of wealth or status, everyone who breaks the law must fight for the Queen's pleasure."

"Now, I have nothing against justice. But there is a point where justice stops, and cruelty begins. I'm not sure how you people handle it, but this isn't normal for around here.
Even then, I couldn't really care less. I wouldn't dream of getting caught committing a crime. But I strongly suspect that there may be plenty of folks who do care, because they can not afford to be as careful as you or I. These men are liable to pay a good deal of money in exchange for a way around the established legal system."

"And that, darling, is what you can provide. The inn's design calls for a plethora of hiding places and escape routes. A man looking to lay low from the guards for a while might do well to seek refuge there. And given that the alternative to refuge is death in the arena, he might well be willing to pay a handsome sum for said refuge. And perhaps do some favours as well; criminals might know things that could benefit the Hacturi, or perhaps be swayed to join your cause."

"Now, this idea is dangerous. But not so much more dangerous, I think, than whatever you were planning on doing anyway with an inn with hidden rooms and sewer escape tunnels. And I'm sure that the criminal element of this city would be willing to part with a few ducats to aid in the establishment of your inn if it were to serve this purpose. The decision is, of course, yours."
Long Live United Forenia!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2011, 07:53:11 pm »

"Hugo...Your damn good at guessing my plans, you know that? Must mean my plans are too simple...I've been meaning to use these city's criminals to form the first part of my spy network...But I didn't think of asking them to pay for the inn...Yes, this could work...Although I'll have reservation on who I protect of course...I won't be allowing a serial murderer to be protected...without good reason.  Now Hugo, do you know where we can meet with these criminals?"

"I think...I need to talk with my associates in Hatcur, I believe we are getting closer to our goals. Very close indeed...Anyway, I'll leave the diplomacy to you, I must return to my men and continue with my task. I've brought some ducats in case things need to be paid for."

Retcyl gestures towards two hatcuri carrying a chest.

'This should be enough...If the inn is completed before I get back, make sure to hire some of these criminals and train us some spys...Oh yes, and we'll need some artwork to decorate the inn...It is an embassy after all."

Retcyl hands over 4.85 ducats and heads back to his men on Williams Estate. Once there abandon the census and begin packing camp. Once completed, head over to Thunderblade's estate.

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:29:43 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2011, 08:01:57 pm »

Kathos's plans were going well. Now that he had lands and a starting business, he was ready to be involved in the kingdom's politics. That would start soon. He needed to meet with the other nobles. To know them. That's why he called Adrian, his lieutenant. The man was wise, loyal and polite - perfect for the job. The orders Kathos gave him were quite simple.

"Adrian... I need you to get some information. I know I'm not the only landed noble in the kingdom. I want to know the others. Learn about them. Name, family, family history if necessary, and their lands. You can do that for me?"

"Of course, sir."

Send Adrian to get information about the other nobles.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:37 pm »

"Ji'sen, I don't believe there's space for us in this city-state," said Oli'c. "I think we have to leave before the queen decides to go on a bloody rampage against us, as I have heard happened before. Organize the men and begin to move out."

The men quickly made ready and began to leave, as there was very little to pack. Soon they would completely run out of food, and need a source of employment.

Leave to the city-state directly north of Talama.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:49 pm »

Hugo dedicates his summer to the construction of a fabulous new inn.
2.01d gained in sales
Retcyl hands over 4.85 ducats and heads back to his men on Williams Estate. Once there continue with the census.[/b]
[5]
You are able to salvage whatever materials that weren't damaged beforehand, and thus your followers also have their personal belongings back. You even managed to clear away the rubble as well, leaving an intact foundation. Well, at least this would help keep the costs for rebuilding at a reasonable level.
[Hugo and Kawakai] work together to create blueprints for the inn's reconstruction (can we get a construction cost reduction for this, or something?)
Total construction resources:
-6.86 ducats
-'Foundations', 'Salvaged Building Materials'
-In-house blueprints
-Dedicated architect

Can a guy build a level two service business (usual cost: 8d) from this? If not, build a level one service business, and I'll see about getting the extra 1.14d from somewhere.
Long Live United Forenia!

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »

Hugo dedicates his summer to the construction of a fabulous new inn.
Total construction resources:
-6.86 ducats
-'Foundations', 'Salvaged Building Materials'
-In-house blueprints
-Dedicated architect

Can a guy build a level two service business (usual cost: 8d) from this? If not, build a level one service business, and I'll see about getting the extra 1.14d from somewhere.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Construction of a Size 2 Service industry (Inn), completed
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 05, 2011, 12:28:48 am »

((After mulling over the point of a census and it's possible uses, I've decided to change my turn. Also, I believe the inn technically belongs to me, but Nuke and ashton probably do have an interests in it due so I dunno.))
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:23 am »

Send several messengers to the unaffiliated lands, and ask if they'd like to join the kingdom of Ligoria.

Total messengers sent [4]

Locations:
Island to the west: [1] Your messenger never returns. No one seems to know what happened to him as his trnasport never returned either.

City to the north: [6] -A- Messenger returns from a city called "Shola". He introduces himself as Hyte, and calmly awaits a meeting with the Queen.

Northeast: [5] Mileth is a bustling city walled in by a double-thick pallisade. You messenger recounts the story of how difficult it was to enter the town itself. While not militarily strong, Mileth is apparently a (and your messenger appologizes for his abruptness to your highness) "Damn paranoid and peculiar place". He truly recommends avoidance of the place due to the sheer obstinance of the population, and pities the diplomat you should happen to send there.

West of Moun: [3] Polca is an uninteresting place full of simple farmers with no true leadership beyond the Mayor. Your messenger returns suspicious, twitchy and swears he saw ghosts while he was there.

-Begin to do brisk business in the Art Trade, making friends in high places.
-Attempt to gather some common information on state of the realm.

Art Trade leads you to know Hugo, the aspiring artist of Ligoria. (Provided you don't know eachother already). You do hear quite a fuss over several of the larger pieces of artwork he's completed this last season - including one of note in the local brothel.

Information: Specifics would be nice, unless Taricus wants to write up the 'State of the Realm' address for you.

Retcyl hands over 4.85 ducats and heads back to his men on Williams Estate. Once there abandon the census and begin packing camp. Once completed, head over to Thunderblade's estate.

[3] You and your men arrive in the outskirts of the Thunderblade lands without any incident.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:25:19 am by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 05, 2011, 01:05:47 am »

As Retcyl  sighted of Thunderblade's estate, he prepared his men to prepare camp and set off with some of his subordinates to meet with the local lord...He did not know of this one at all; except that he too was recently made a lord of this land. Perhaps this lord could be made an ally as well...

Meet up with Thunderblade
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 05, 2011, 04:07:25 am »

At the throne room:

"So, Hyte, I'm going to be abrupt here, but what happened to my messenger?"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 05, 2011, 05:49:42 am »

((I claim brown for my character))

Kathos was in his office, looking at a map of Ligoria, when a guard entered. The man hesitated before saying anything.

"Uh... Sir... There is a lizard-man outside the estate... He wants to meet with you."

"A lizard man? You mean a Hatcuri?"

The guard nodded.

"Alright then, it's probably Locanil... Let him in."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 05, 2011, 06:06:16 am »

"The lord is allowing you to see him now."

"Good, yes I'll be there now."

Retcyl and his retainers followed the guard to this Thunderblade's office. Retcyl gestured for them to stay outside while Retcyl himself entered.

"Lord Thunderblade, Retcyl, ambassador of Hatcur, at your service." Retcyl said as he bowed.

"What would your name be? I'm sorry but I never got your name beyond Thunderblade...Unless you would prefer I call you by that name then."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2011, 09:17:59 am »

'Tala' put on a winning smile. He was a nice guy really-the perfect mark.

"Indeed-Tala Alanis. We met when I first had my audience. I remember the kindess you showed me. A mark of a noble soul.

It's so nice to have a chance to talk to you again-and I am pleased to see you did not forget me, David. I did not forget you, either."

She says warmly.

"Tell me, is all in your life well, David? The court is such an interesting place for a young noblewoman, but I'd imagine the duties of a guard have their own excitements-and surprises, come as they may."

She places a hand on his armored shoulder.

[1] David smiled at her questions and began to tell Tala about his duties as a guard, the last word two words he got in before Tala placed a hand on his shoulder were "...my wife". Shortly after the action David shot a mean look in Tala's direction, he was clearly an honest man.

It was one of those days, the kind of day where not particularly much happens but one invariably feels exhausted by its end, well isn't this quite the waste of time? thought Kawakai, Rectyl had arrived back in camp yesterday and insisted we keep toiling with whatever it was Rectyl wanted doing, visiting nobles or something though as far as she was aware the expedition hadn't brought in a single ducat. He did however bring the good news that the hacturi embassy was done though, well enough was enough.

Two days later
Kawakai arrived in Talama and marveled at the embassy, Hugo really had done a good job, she walked in, opened a door marked mechanics workshop and stumbled gleefully inside, all her equipment from the ship was stacked in small piles around the room. She began work immediately and after waking up the next day in a haze made a poster and stuck it to the noticeboard on the embassy's exterior.

Quote from: The Poster
Trading mechanic inside, now accepting all orders and commissions to be made inside.
Also see kawakai inside for an engineer apprenticeship, all applications are welcome. Pay is on commission.

Kawakai also decided she should pay a visit to the queen regarding the aprentice.

Return to Talama, send out an advertisement for contracts and also try to hire an apprentice to train into an engineer. Finally try to get an audience with the queen.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:25:43 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 05, 2011, 09:43:49 am »

((People certainly roll me lots of 1's in this game.))

[1] David smiled at her questions and began to tell Tala about his duties as a guard, the last word two words he got in before Tala placed a hand on his shoulder were "...my wife". Shortly after the action David shot a mean look in Tala's direction, he was clearly an honest man.

'Tala' feigns embarrassment, and withdraws her hand.

"Excuse my impropiety sir! I should have guessed you we're taken...I did not mean anything, by it-twas merely a friendly gesture. Can you forgive me?"

Attempt to calm him down!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 05, 2011, 09:51:41 am »

((People certainly roll me lots of 1's in this game.))

'Tala' feigns embarrassment, and withdraws her hand.

"Excuse my impropiety sir! I should have guessed you we're taken...I did not mean anything, by it-twas merely a friendly gesture. Can you forgive me?"

Attempt to calm him down!

[2] "It's fine" were the words Tala heard from a rather sheepish David who began to wonder she seems to want something, what it was he had no idea though he had a slight seed of doubt sparked in his mind.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 220