Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 225436 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)
« Reply #3210 on: March 04, 2012, 04:44:15 pm »

Pasha sighed. He had thought that that was what on Tala's mind. "...Yes. Yes she is. If she was sane, she would be content with escaping with her life. That's more than most dethroned royalty get. And yes, we probably will be. It sucks, but life isn't fair. We have to accept the fact that there will always be people desperate to destroy and take away what life others try to build." He took one of the orange halves and bit into it.

"It's not just any one person, or class of person. It's just how people are. Bandits, merchants, soldiers, and kings alike. People with ambition are even worse." He looked at the orange. "Few people are ever content with what they have. It's a shame. I would have been fine if you and I had fled the country entirely, continued a nomadic life elsewhere. All of this - title, land, position on the council - is more than I need. I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed by it all, still. But I'm happy with this." He turned his eyes back to Tala, thankful that the injuries had mostly healed and he was able to see her with both eyes... although he would always have a horizontal scar across his forehead where he had dodged the bolt.

"There's only two things we can do, and we both know it. We can either try to assist Vandire and Thunderblade in building up a strong military to fight Ralia when she comes... or we find a way to assassinate her before it ever comes to that." He shrugged as he finished his orange. "She'll never stop as long as she lives. She's just like my father even if she doesn't know it. Who knows, though? Perhaps we'll get lucky and disease, or a mugger, or even a simple accident will claim her life. Or maybe something else will catch her attention and she'll forget about Ligoria, although that's doubtful. I don't wish unnecessary harm on anyone, but her existence is a threat to our family, and I would sooner put her in the ground than gamble on her leaving us alone."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: March 04, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »

Terryn frowned and scratched his cheek, contemplating what John had said. "Well..." he began, glancing across the room to where two of his men sat playing at dice. "I'm currently involved in a job, as I just told you. One with a defined objective, so I cannot simply leave and come back later."

He sighed, and waved away what he had just said before crossing his arms again. "Further, I don't need a title. Nor do I want one. Being nobility tends to interfere with any sense of neutrality, which is what a mercenary needs- no? That being said...Will you allow me to send one of my men to Polca to act as my proxy until such a time as I am able to return there myself? I expect to be available within two seasons. And if I am not, I will drop my current contract in order to return to Polca."
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: March 04, 2012, 04:52:05 pm »

Well, that is indeed the question. Maybe she intimidated them? Or she bewitched them and seduced them? I don't know. But she must be good at manipulating them. Sufficiently so that they prefer to stand against us rather than surrender.

Nikephoros truly did not know what to think of these nobles. He had mixed ideas and conflicting thoughts about the nobility or De Plume.

"Terryn, that is why I hired you. I need to know as much as I can. Because I can't build this country if I have to deal with one crazy woman after another. As if the Bright One decided to shine a bit too much on this land and rotted away all female brains with the heat."

Another gulp of the drink.

I tell you, as long as we are beset with people like her, Strom Coast will know only division and fear. And i've seen enough of that in my life.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:09 am »

"Yes..." Terryn replied, deep in thought. He took another drink, and frowned. "You and I both know that there are no end to such people, however. We've both been raised by the sword, we've seen it first hand."

He looked over at the other man. "I'm speaking in a less than business-like manner at the moment, you understand. What plans have you to deal with whoever will rise to take De Plume's place? Surely the Ligorian army cannot deal with petty bandits forever."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:14 am »

"No. I won't be running after bandits forever. But this is no different from ploughing a piece of land. If you let weeds grow, you will struggle and will copnstantly be removing them. That is why you have to turn over the earth, make sure to pluck out every single leaf and root while they are still small..."

He briefly recalled his work at the village in his mind. He did some good work there. This was occasion to do so again.

"Once she is gone, I will have the country watched by regular patrols. Nobles will be kept loyal via suitable arrangments, and peasant will be given some breathing space. I will tend to this country as I would to field of wheat or an orchad."

He took another sip of the drink.

"And people like you will help too. Private security will deter bandits and will help regulate the numbers of those who can use a weapon. It does not sound like much, but man needs more than just a plough and a pair of oxen to make things grow."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:08:09 am by Ardas »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:27 am »

"I'm currently involved in a job, as I just told you. One with a defined objective, so I cannot simply leave and come back later."

"Further, I don't need a title. Nor do I want one. Being nobility tends to interfere with any sense of neutrality, which is what a mercenary needs- no? That being said...Will you allow me to send one of my men to Polca to act as my proxy until such a time as I am able to return there myself? I expect to be available within two seasons. And if I am not, I will drop my current contract in order to return to Polca."

John really didn't know what William would say in this situation.
"I guess it would be okay...do you have anything else you want to discuss?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: March 07, 2012, 10:39:45 pm »

The Crimson Guards will try and find out the number of bandits, also they will scout around looking to see if it's an ambush. If it's lower and non-ambushing, they will attack, if it's higher and there is a good chance of ambush, they will wait for further orders.

In Ligoria:
John tries to find the point of origin for the messenger, or where he traveled to last.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: March 08, 2012, 12:28:32 pm »

Tala finished her breakfast leisurely. Just sitting, laughing, eating and talking with Pasha-once their conversation steered away from unsavory topics-was...great. This was a life. And it was so warm. She glanced out the window, nothing the good weather to come, and smiled.

In time, she rose, pausing to bend over, and kiss Pasha-many times. Linger, make it last...she lost track of time. Bliss and Heaven were just words, something for Church-words, words, words...this was real, physical-and much better.

Beautiful colors...

Back. She smiled, tapping Pashas nose with her finger playfully, as he leaned in, to kiss her again.

"Save some for later, hmm?

I'm going to see Nikephoros today. Continue my arms training. Offer him my support.

It also might help if he hears from me about the recent...problems, we've been having. I trust him, but other may begin to wonder.

I'm worried about that Kathos, personally. He seems to be angry all the time, that he's not holding a scepter with my head on it.

Do keep yourself busy today, darling-unless you'd perchance accompany me?"

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: March 08, 2012, 12:48:17 pm »

Pasha shook his head. "I think you could explain it much better than I could. Also, I have that meeting to go to today." He wasn't particularly looking forward to meeting up with Dragon Empire agents, but it had been set for today and he wasn't going to skip out on his obligation. It wouldn't do to do something untrustworthy like that anyway when he was attempting to show he could handle the job of being Tala's guardian. He kissed Tala's forehead anyway and moved away slightly. "I suppose we'd both better get ready to leave the house, then. I'll see you this afternoon?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: March 08, 2012, 01:52:41 pm »

Kathos was growing annoyed as days passed. He hadn't done anything exciting since the fall of the Queen, and it was starting to show. He was irritable and always tired, and the paperwork seemed to be getting more and more pointless, as he read letters, sent replies, ordered people around and tried to get some work done. There was plenty of work, of course, but it seemed to get him nowhere. He needed to find evidences to deal with the accusations against him and Nikephoros, and the search for Laythe seemed to always be delayed.

He needed some fresh air, and a bit of action. He needed to get a drink, too.

Go around the inns of the city (hide true identity and bring two guards, also disguised) and try to find the man who's been spreading evidences that Kathos and Nike are "cowards and traitors".

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »

"No. I won't be running after bandits forever. But this is no different from ploughing a piece of land. If you let weeds grow, you will struggle and will copnstantly be removing them. That is why you have to turn over the earth, make sure to pluck out every single leaf and root while they are still small..."

He briefly recalled his work at the village in his mind. He did some good work there. This was occasion to do so again.

"Once she is gone, I will have the country watched by regular patrols. Nobles will be kept loyal via suitable arrangments, and peasant will be given some breathing space. I will tend to this country as I would to field of wheat or an orchad."

He took another sip of the drink.

"And people like you will help too. Private security will deter bandits and will help regulate the numbers of those who can use a weapon. It does not sound like much, but man needs more than just a plough and a pair of oxen to make things grow."

Terryn slowly nodded as the other man spoke, occasionally taking another sip from his drink. After the Lord Protector finished, the Hedge Knight allowed things to lapse into silence for a moment as he finished off the pint and motioned for another. "Of course. I would not want any competition, and my men and I often take work from the peasantry at reduced fees as it is- though I should warn you it isn't because we wish to do good, but simply because they've rarely the funds to pay our full rates."

He paused, and grinned. "Enough about work though, eh? What exactly is there to do for fun in this city? I noticed a few whore houses by the docks, and the taverns are rife with them but..." he paused, glancing at a group of "maidens" on the other side of the bar, "...such things are not exactly to my tastes. Is there gambling? Theaters of some sort? I'll admit, I have not been to a play that was not run by fools since I was much younger, when Sir David decided to 'instill some culture' in me."

He smiled knowingly and shook his head, making a small circle with his left hand again at the mention of the former knight. "I learned more than he bargained for that night, I'm sure."

John really didn't know what William would say in this situation.
"I guess it would be okay...do you have anything else you want to discuss?"

"No. I don't think so." Terryn replied simply, as he set about to shuffling the papers on the bar counter into an orderly pile. Without looking up, he added: "I'll have Bjorn and some men on a boat by the end of the week, with written orders and a letter to your Lord. Is there anything else you need?"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:10:49 pm by thatkid »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: March 08, 2012, 05:15:43 pm »

Alexander becomes a ligorian spy (two ducats spent, he'll be ready in spring)
The corpse of the messenger is sent to the castle to look for evidence that could indicate where he's from

Spy: Done - notation made in accounts
[2] Your people have worse luck than John in figuring out where the man is from. They think it would be stupid for an obvious native of any single country to work as a spy -for- that nation to begin with.

Go around the inns of the city (hide true identity and bring two guards, also disguised) and try to find the man who's been spreading evidences that Kathos and Nike are "cowards and traitors".

[45,3] The man you're looking for was a regular in the area for a few months before dropping the information on places. They'd all seen him around before and thought him a decent enough source  - as far as peasant-ly thought goes anyway. You manage to remain hidden from any eyes that would know you, other simply think you an agent of one of the Lords. Recently the man you're looking for hasn't been seen much, though is still rarely around.
The Crimson Guards will try and find out the number of bandits, also they will scout around looking to see if it's an ambush. If it's lower and non-ambushing, they will attack, if it's higher and there is a good chance of ambush, they will wait for further orders.

In Ligoria:
John tries to find the point of origin for the messenger, or where he traveled to last.

[31,6] Your men are nicely outnumbered and have no idea what they're doing in this sort of terrain and weather. They choose the safer alternative to attacking blind.

[3] You can basically determine the man is a native Coaster, but where exactly he's from is made hard by his odd choice in clothing and several scars from various nations' branding, leading you to believe this man has seen the inside of a few prisons along the coast.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: March 08, 2012, 05:56:28 pm »

Entertainemnt? Heh, I almost forgot that word. And the emotions. All that work turned me into a recluse and a hermit.

He paused and thought to himself. When was the last time he entertained himself? Hell, He was a lord and a soldier, but he lived as a monk for the past year.

You know what? I know little about gambling or whores in Talama, but I will tell you that I would not mind spending the remainder of the time here or somewhere where we can play cards or dice. And somewhere where they serve better drinks....

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: March 08, 2012, 06:52:47 pm »

"Just information. Please make this simple for me, I've still got a headache from dealing with Zema and I really don't need the extra trouble."

"Heh, our Zeman friends have a way with people don't they? What kind of information can we provide for Eshir which he does not already have?"

"All here in this note." Laythe passed the note over to the councilman, awaiting a responce.

Hand a note listing the information that Galam wants to the councillor.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »

Kathos decided to try his luck with the innkeep of the Robber's Flask. The man was one of the many who claimed that they'd seen the criminal, but wheter or not he would cooperate was yet to be seen. Kathos decided to speak to him while there weren't too many people in the inn, to reduce the chances of being heard by unwanted ears.

"So, this man I was looking for... Do you know where he lives? Some of the people I work for are thinking he was involved in a crime not too long ago, something related to the gangs. We don't know for sure, but to be honest I find it a little suspicious that he wasn't seen around recently... Almost as if he was trying to hide."

Ask an innkeep if he knows where the man lives
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 220