Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 225448 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)
« Reply #3195 on: March 01, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »

"Fine and no...I'll take my leave now."'

John turned and made to leave the room.

"I'll have to tell Lord William what we have spoke of here. I hope that isn't a bother, he'll most likely agree with you."

"You remember why Laythe was forced into exile and lost power? She didn't respect the opinions of her nobles, correct?"

Then John left the office, without waiting for the answer, and without even a backward glance.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:01:34 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:48 pm »

"John."

Kathos' voice was soft when he spoke. He was thinking about his youth. He did not like what he remembered.

"My father trusted all of his allies completely. He had complete faith in them, until one day he woke up and his general told him that they were attacking the Citadel. Because of his trust, he died, and with him died his eldest and his youngest son, and most of his grandchildren. Only two members of the family survived, because that day I was out hunting with my nephew."

He looked straigth into the ambassador's eyes.

"I won't repeat his mistakes, John. Even if that means offending William a little. Goodbye."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: March 02, 2012, 03:37:19 am »

"Pasha sat on the desk and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "...What about your contacts? Any word?"

Tala took a cursory look around the room before speaking in a low voice.

"Actually, they were all there. They told me I've...been doing a good job, under the circumstances. And that I should continue gathering information.

...that doesn't matter. What matters is that when they were taking about Matthews replacement, your name came up. I think they know who...you used to be."

Tala dropped her gaze for a moment, before meeting Pasha's eyes once more.

"Matthews job was to protect me. Not only from...everything else. But from the politics of the Dragon Empire itself-like a dagger, it usually turns on it's wielder. So I could do my job. If needs be, Matthew would have been the one to get me out of Ligoria, had I been exposed to scrutiny.

This is how he got the job, you know. Matthew. He inherited it as a much younger man. It changed him. I think he lost someone...and he changed into the person I and you knew. At least that's what I gathered. A miserable existence for a miserable man.

...They told me you'd be the best choice. I mean, no one can buy your loyalty. You don't serve the empire to betray Ligoria-and they knew you wouldn't, not for any money...but, they knew you would serve them, through me. They've got a lot of practice with this sort of thing."

She sighed again.

"...I know you'll want to say yes, Pasha. I didn't want to get you involved in this..."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: March 02, 2012, 04:39:12 am »

Pasha nodded. "It's all right. There's no one else I trust with your safety." He laughed to himself. "...Sounds like they know me pretty well. It's true I will not betray Ligoria. I owe Kathos and Nikephoros, and I'm not going to turn my back on them... unless it means hurting you." He stood and put his hands on her shoulders, locking her eyes with his. "I like this city, this estate, the people who serve us - both as people and as servants. It would be a fine place for our children to grow up in, and Ligoria perhaps will one day be a republic, setting an example all nations would aspire to follow. It would be hard to abandon it. But it doesn't matter to me like you do. I love you, Tala."

He looked down in thought. "I suppose tomorrow I had better meet these contacts of yours. I'll need to learn all the particulars of Matthew's role before I can fill his shoes." He sighed. "Perhaps you can arrange for them to 'bump into' me while I'm in the market place tomorrow. I'm sure from there I can handle finding a safe spot to talk and get all the details." Pasha nodded to Tala. "I wish you weren't involved in this, either. But where you go, I'll follow. And trust me, it will be better for it to be me than to have another unreliable third party like Matthew hanging around the estate. Less suspicious, too, than to suddenly have a new servant about the place."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: March 02, 2012, 09:49:04 am »

"...It can be arranged. Tomorrow.

For now...I just need some sleep. It's been a long day."

She yawned.

Exhaustion hit Tala in a sudden wave. From far away, Pasha was saying something soothing to her. She followed his words, but not the meaning, mumbling soft agreements.

"I love you...Pasha..."

Then, she laid her head on his left leg, and abruptly went to sleep with a smile on her face.

Turns out Tala wouldn't have trouble sleeping tonight at all.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:50:39 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: March 02, 2012, 12:40:51 pm »

"I hope you understand that what I'm saying is merely a precaution and a trait of my job. Personally I see nothing wrong with a business like yours. But it would be a shame if you got involved with the undersirables, and we both don't want that."

Nikephoros fininshed his drink.

"Just getting back to De Plume though, do you mind telling me a bit more about what you saw? Anything about her men, her appearances or resources?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: March 02, 2012, 02:23:36 pm »

Pasha smiled gently. She was under a lot of stress. having to live a double life as she did. He ran his hand through her hair, taking care not to wake her, then picked her up and carried her to bed. Once she was settled in, he got on the other side and laid down, hands behind his head, staring at the ceiling. There was a lot on his mind, too, now. He wouldn't like to have to live a lie... but better him than anyone else. He already knew her secret, and he had absolute loyalty to her, and worst but perhaps best of all, he was somewhat trusted by everyone in a position of power. As far as he could see there was no other choice.

He let out his breath through his nose in a silent sigh. His current aches and pains were testament to the dangers of bringing in someone else. If it was just him, he wouldn't have to be watching his own back and Tala's against a stranger. Well. All worries for the future. He blew out the candle and closed his eyes. Things would look better in the morning.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: March 02, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »

"Understandable." Terryn replied simply. He said no more about his business, instead pausing to drain his mug as he considered an answer to the question. "She? Middle aged, a woman bandit if I ever saw one. I suppose many men find her attractive all the same, however. Her men bore no livery, and no consistent uniform. I was unable to get an adequate count of her forces. It would appear she's quite a few allies, though, considering her equipment was in good repair."

He shrugs, sliding two more coins over the counter and then waiting silently for the bartender to turn his back before continuing. "Low morale, I would guess."
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:49 pm »

"Well, I suppose it should not be a problem to beat them again. They haven't exactly displayed a lot of skill when I defeated them in the field. And that was some number of them too. I'm just surprised that she is able to replenish her numbers that quickly, even with the assistance. Its mostly countryside out there.

You know, I'm not really that desperate to kill everyone or to get them to kneel. I just want them to see the better side of things. And De Plume cannot promise them much apart from cruel and nasty death on a Ligorian sword. I'm not really that angry or ill-dispodsed to ward her. She is clearly a capale person and would do a lot more if she was in Ligoria. But as they say, better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven...."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »

John approached the building- the one where the Thornbred Knights made their home and operated a shady security business out of- which apparently used to be a tavern before the Thornbred took it over. He nodded at the door guards before addressing them politely. It always paid to be nice to sentries.

"I'm here to meet with Sir Terryn for Lord William Sarturi...or Lord William Blackrose as he may be known in Ligoria. Is Terryn in?"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:53:20 pm by filiusenox »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: March 04, 2012, 08:13:39 am »

Next morning...

Tala was eating breakfast, deftly slicing oranges with a sort of grim determination. She noticed Pasha looking at her strangely. Then she realized she had been so deep in concentration she had neatly bisected almost a dozen pieces of fruit into even piles.

"...You know, I've been thinking.

Ralia is quite mad, isn't she? I mean, she's no doubt coming back to take Ligoria by force. And, we all know she's going to use a mercenary army to do it..."

It wasn't a good thought. Tala was sure Pasha was thinking the same thing-the land would be no doubt be sacked by the victors. who would be set free to mangle the land like mad hounds. She had seen it before...the Dragon Empire could be very cruel to it's own people. She had seen honest men killed in their homes and on the streets, sacred places stripped of treasures, defiled...shops and farms set on fire, lines of women and children being led out in chains for the slave market...

Tala remembered the wailing of the lost, screams of dying horses, and the bitter smell of burning crops...and shuddered.

She noticed the same look on Pasha's face, but it was darker than hers...

"...and after last night...I think me and you will be very popular nobles on her revenge list...

It just seems unfair, to me. I am once for my life, happy, and content..."

A ghost of a smile passed over her face.

"...and loved.

And...this beast...she'll kill me and my Husband, kill the child to come, burn my home to the ground, because...she's not unlike Matthew was.

A Broken young woman, always looking on the world, so confused and angry she can only hurt more than she can help, even if she tries.. Pitiable, yes. And dangerous. A mad dog without a leash.

I'm just saying, it seems very unfair. But, I'm tired of lamenting the fact.

What do you think we can do about it?"

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:16:09 am by Dwarmin »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:26 pm »

"Well, I suppose it should not be a problem to beat them again. They haven't exactly displayed a lot of skill when I defeated them in the field. And that was some number of them too. I'm just surprised that she is able to replenish her numbers that quickly, even with the assistance. Its mostly countryside out there.

You know, I'm not really that desperate to kill everyone or to get them to kneel. I just want them to see the better side of things. And De Plume cannot promise them much apart from cruel and nasty death on a Ligorian sword. I'm not really that angry or ill-dispodsed to ward her. She is clearly a capale person and would do a lot more if she was in Ligoria. But as they say, better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven...."

Terryn replied with a grunt, taking another sip of the newly brought mug. "Let me ask you a question, Nikephoros. If you wouldn't mind." he replied, looking the other man in the eye. "If she is truly as horrible as they say, then why might these men flock to her banner? If, as you say, it is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven, why do they serve in hell?"

It was only after speaking that Terryn realized how much the drink was likely effecting his words. He had, after all, been at it for some time before Nikephoros even arrived.

John approached the building- the one where the Thornbred Knights made their home and operated a shady security business out of- which apparently used to be a tavern before the Thornbred took it over. He nodded at the door guards before addressing them politely. It always paid to be nice to sentries.

"I'm here to meet with Sir Terryn for Lord William Sarturi...or Lord William Blackrose as he may be known in Ligoria. Is Terryn in?"

The guards sized up John for a moment, before simply ushering him in.

They had converted the bar itself into a sort of reception desk. A mousy looking clerk now sat behind it beside whom stood a powerfully built man with a shock of bright red hair and a lankier man of brown hair. The latter appeared to be a new recruit, receiving instructions from the former in the proper use of a buckler.

As John approached, Terryn slapped the man on the back and sent him off into the back room before turning his attention to William's delegate. "Well, you've found him." he stated, having overheard the conversation at the door. "I must say it's a pleasant surprise receiving correspondence from William again, though I could have sworn his name was "Sanguine." I had thought that ship had sailed. In any case, what might I be able to do for you, sirrah?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: March 04, 2012, 01:58:10 pm »

"Well, you've found him." he stated, having overheard the conversation at the door. "I must say it's a pleasant surprise receiving correspondence from William again, though I could have sworn his name was "Sanguine." I had thought that ship had sailed. In any case, what might I be able to do for you, sirrah?"

"William goes by many names, Sir Terryn. The reason why i'm here is because Lord William wishes to know if your ever going to come back to Polca, sometime this century. Oh and he has an offer to give you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: March 04, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »

Terryn crossed his arms and leaned back against the shelves behind him. This place wasn't a tavern any longer, but they had made sure to keep those shelves well stocked all the same. "Polca? Is that where he is now?"

The Hedge Knight shrugged, "Tell him I'll return if he has need of me, though I'm sure we'd need to renegotiate the contract now. And I'm not available at the present, though I can't tell you why. What is this offer?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: March 04, 2012, 03:29:25 pm »

"He's the lord of Polca now if you would believe it."

John shrugs.
"He wishes you to build a mercenary industry in his new city, in return for a prime spot of land to build it on, a favored business status, and a title, but unless you show up for work- on expanding his lands and building an industry- the four ducats he owes you will be forfeit."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:33:06 pm by filiusenox »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 220