Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 225284 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)
« Reply #3180 on: March 01, 2012, 05:46:41 pm »

Pasha put a hand on Tala's shoulder as she neared. "Sorry about that. I should have taken better precautions... like locking the windows." He sighed. He didn't doubt Tala's knife had merely paralyzed the man, probably permanently; that had been his own fault for attempting to run. If he was truly guiltless, then with Pasha and Tala backing him he wouldn't have been too roughly treated and would have been released in a few days at most. His demise had been entirely of his own doing, and Pasha didn't feel much sympathy for anyone loyal to Laythe after she exposed her true colors during her flight from Ligoria.

He also didn't think that had been Tala's aim; she must have been rattled, or perhaps it was old instincts that made her knife the courier in the spine. They gained little from injuring the man, even less now that he'd chosen to redecorate the street. He put aside those thoughts since they weren't important; what was was what Tala had went to go check on earlier that day. He took her hand and led her to the room he'd chosen as his study, which was considerably more private than most of the house. The lack of windows meant it had to be lit by other means, but it also meant there was little chance for eavesdropping.

He closed the door behind them and locked it. "I went to see Nikephoros today about Matthew. He agreed to help me learn how to better use a sword when he has some free time, possibly next season, to prevent further assassination attempts." Pasha sat on the desk and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "...What about your contacts? Any word?"

(And now I have to get ready for the dentist. Fili, if you want, you can have Castleton come with John to help explain what happened; he probably would want to see that the corpse got taken off properly anyway, and since he's been Pasha's personal servant for about two seasons now people would know who he is. He would be honest up to a point; that is, he would say he had thrown the dagger, not Tala, but he would tell everything else truthfully.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: March 01, 2012, 06:06:41 pm »

John smirked, pulling a cigarette from his coat- which he did reclaim- and lit it with a match.

"I find it funny how you think William wouldn't do anything to Lord Kathos and Lord Nike if they arrested one of his men...heh...As for the matter of the dead man, he was a messenger from Good Queen Laythe, sent here to get Tala's support in reclaiming Ligoria, he was rebuffed by her, and I was getting ready to make an arrest, when he jumped out the window. I threw a dagger and it hit him in the spine, even though I was aiming for his leg and then he smashed his head on the cobblestone"

"And as for my meeting with Madami Alanis...I really don't see why it would concern Lord Kathos. I was seeing how she was doing for William, since he couldn‘t do it himself, they're quite good friends."

“And just a bit of friendly advice, don’t ever make an insult or jibe towards Will when your speaking to one of his Crimson Guards…Or you’ll end up dead.”

John blew a ring of smoke.

"Any other questions?"

The papers he found were hidden in his coat, and he hoped no one noticed him pocketing them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:29:38 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: March 01, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »

"Nice to hear that you plan to expand the business. I'm just wondering how compatible you might be with the Republic...

You see, business like yours will thrive if you have enough noble customers or merchants, scared out of their wits or knowing that they can have things their way in a lawless enviroment. But the thing is, they won't need them once I put down the border lords and the peninsula will be secure. I am not planning to leave Talama in its current state either: gangs will be purged, the old or delapitated quarters demolished and high walls, wide avenues and big public spaces will be built.

The monarchy and the old Talama would have needed plenty of people like you. Will the new Talama require your services? That depends on how involved you plan to become and what are you exactly plan to do with your business."

"There will never be a time," Ezriel began to reply, pausing to take another drink, "When crime does not exist. So long as people exist, there will be those desperate enough to harm another through theft or assault. And so long as those people exist, there will be work for guards."

He swirled his drink for a moment, in thought. "And even when there is little crime to ward against, perhaps a banker would like a personal guard- just for the added sense of security? Or a rough neck, to deliver a notice of due payment without fear of being assaulted?"

"Nevertheless, the reasons you state are why I will be opening up Guild Halls in other cities as well. Or one reason, in any case. But there will always be a need for hired blades and shields, and the Thornbred will meet those needs."
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: March 01, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »

"Just information. Please make this simple for me, I've still got a headache from dealing with Zema and I really don't need the extra trouble."

"Heh, our Zeman friends have a way with people don't they? What kind of information can we provide for Eshir which he does not already have?"

John checks the corpse for any information, at all.

[X] His pulse leads you to believe he's dead - that and the blood oozing from his head...and the knife in his spine. [42] There's some paperwork on him allowing passage on various merchant ships and trade caravans. The ones any of you can recognize are well-known, and travel the entire Coast and then some. The others no one recognize and/or are forged.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:26:45 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: March 01, 2012, 06:30:30 pm »

Alexander ignored the comments about the Crimson Guard and William. Kathos' men all knew that William's personnal guard was composed of overconfident men from Lonemine, all of them convinced that they could take on the world by themselves. Real professionals did not brag about their talent.

"Laythe is trying to find some friends in Ligoria... Interesting... Did the messenger say anything important about her location, her ressources or her ally?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: March 01, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »

John's grin twitched upward a moment.

"Nope no evidence or information, the guy was clean and he didn't say anything besides her goals."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:39:07 pm by filiusenox »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: March 01, 2012, 06:58:30 pm »

Alexander sighed. John's grin indicated that the man was not completely honest. So be it.

"Alright then. This is now a state matter. We're bringing the corpse to the dungeons for further investigation. Goodday, sir."

Alexander becomes a ligorian spy (two ducats spent, he'll be ready in spring)
The corpse of the messenger is sent to the castle to look for evidence that could indicate where he's from

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: March 01, 2012, 07:37:54 pm »

"Goodbye."

On Monday...
There's a polite knock on Kathos' office door, outside John is standing, unarmed as per rules.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: March 01, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »

"Enter."

As John walked in, Kathos lowered a paper on which a report had been written. He looked slightly worried. As usual, his only weapon was his sword, and he wore no armor.

"Ah, John. What did you want to talk about?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:18 pm »

"About those men you have following me, and how annoying they are..."

"For one, I can't even go to the bathroom without one wanting to follow me in. For seconds, If I want to go to a brothel house, I have to pay triple just to get those smucks in...and for thirds, why are you wasting men on following me, a representative and ambassador for moderately loyal lord? Instead of the major criminals in the area, or using them to find Laythe?"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: March 01, 2012, 07:50:25 pm »

Kathos smiled. He waited for a long time before giving his answer, choosing his words carefully.

"If you were in my position, I think you would understand... Are you from Lonemine, John? Do you know that nation's history?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: March 01, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »

John smiled and indicated a scar on his arm.

"I'm a Crimson Guard, the blood that ran in the veins of those who created Lonemine runs in mine..."

"And I do, it was founded by High Lord Kain after King Eric went mad after the death of Saint Kara The Beloved. High Lord Kain seceded from The Holy Elberthain Empire after Eric tried to have him killed. A long and bloody war was started and- that's the Crimson Blades were recreated into the Crimson Guards- then finally ended a year later, when High Lord Kain met with Eric and received a near fatal stab wound, but peace was declared. The rest of it's history is one of bloody wars, rebellions, mining and industry..."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:11:41 pm by filiusenox »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: March 01, 2012, 08:17:45 pm »

"Ah. So you do know about the kingdom's history."

Kathos smiled, nostalgic. He remembered when his father had told him these stories of another time.

"In that case, you might know that not all the elbrethian forces fought in the civil war. While the majority of the army and the nobles chose their sides and battled - and died - seven men decided that it was time for them to leave the mirish coast. There was nothing more to gain in Elbreth, now that everything was falling apart. There was three generals, two great merchants, and two nobles. They lead an expedition to the south of the Storm Coast, seeking the riches of the Southern Lands. That is known history. What I'm about to tell you is... Well, the rest of the tale.

They arrived in the Emerald Bay, a great region south of the Green Empire. The region was inhabited by peaceful men that called themselves the Assai. The expedition took control of the bay - no tribal warrior could face the might of Elbrethian knights - and built seven great cities, creating the greatest nation ever seen south of the empire. Two generations, there was a... Misunderstanding between the seven lords, and the most powerful of the families wiped out the other six. Two men survived in the last family standing, and the one with the best claim became King of the Emerald bay, while the other one decided to return north, to the Storm Coast."

Kathos looked directly at John, once again smiling.

"I know my family's history well, John. My ancestor dealt with Kain more than once, and from what I can tell he was a magnificient bastard. I was surprised when I met William here, and even more surprised when I realized that Will might be even worse than his grandfather. I learned from the errors of old, John. I will not let one of William Vadud's best men running free in my city without anybody to watch him, if it's possible. Do you understand my position now?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:54 pm »

"I'm flattered that you would call me one of his best men..."

"But I'm really not...i'm not a spy, or a Blood Knight like William, or very good at fighting, even...If I cause a problem I could be taken down by the regular Guards around, and if I were to spy...You would notice it, because, lets face it, i'm really not the subtle type."

"William has no interest in spying on Ligoria. I'm here to manage his lands and be his voice on the counsel."

"Now I know William might not have a lot of power, but honestly, he sounded annoyed when I told him. He views this as going against him personally, since no other Nobles are watched."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »

"William can view this however he wants. I'll make sure that my men will not be too invasive when they're watching you, but still, I'm keeping tabs on you. William and his men have a tendency to either get in alot of trouble or cause alot of trouble. And I'll have you know, sir, that while the other nobles are not watched, none of them have the power or the talent of your lord. You should see this as a compliment. William could be enough of a threat to us that I feel it's safer to make sure his ambassador will not cause trouble."

Kathos sighed. He was tired.

"Anything else, John?"
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 220