Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 233027 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2745 on: January 24, 2012, 07:10:17 am »

Tala modeled her new dress in the mirror-oh, how it shined, she thought. If true beauty springs from joy, then she would be gorgeous today.

It was simple, light, easy to wear-a pure Emerald Green blouse (with generous neckline) and a long free flowing skirt, as tradition dictated, but unobtrusive. It was in fact, similiar to what Tala had been wearing the first time Pasha and she had met, when she was waiting tables-when she had caught his eye. Tala had chosen it for just this reason.

But, why not change things up? Her hair had been rearranged from her usual long style into elegant apple red curls, which seemed to bounce and shift as she moved.. She smiled, plucking one idly. Next, frills...

She donned the silver filigree necklace Pasha had given her, setting to the center, so he would see it. An armlet with tiny silver bells on her left wrist, an old tradition from her homeland-music made from a pure Silver instrument was said to ward against evil spirits. Today, she wasn't taking any chances. Next, one of the golden Earstuds William had given her, placed on her left earlobe. She wanted William to see that.

Oh, and the dagger of course, in a leather sheaf on her left leg. Not leaving anything up to fate, especially on her wedding day. It wasn't Williams gift, the fancy blade-but a slim stiletto, cold grey and sharp to a point.

This was a tribute to her Mother, though no one would know that. Tala remembered only a few things...her red hair, somewhat darker than Talas own, her defiant edge, and the sad smile she put on when with her family. And a warning, something her Mother had said before she died.

"A Lady has to be sharp as she is beautiful...just like a blade."

Tala took the advice to heart. She would be beautiful for Pasha. And anyone who tried to separate them would find out how sharp she really was.

She sighed...paused, tapped her make-up case, seldom used anyway, and decided against it. It was enough. It was perfect.

Then she took it all off, donning her simple white night vest. Couldn't let Pasha see her like this, not yet-they had a rendezvous on the battlements...they were going to watch the sun come up together...

A short time later...

Tala leaned against the ancient stones of the castle battlements, waiting for Pasha. He wasn't late-she had come early, needing a bit of fresh air and a small time alone.

...Her eyes were closed, her defenses down. She was also singing, actually-a song she had heard once, in a far land. Tala rarely sang, even though her voice was quite pleasing.

"Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme...

Remember me to one who lives there...he once was, a true love of mine..."

She didn't hear the figure coming up behind her at all.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:03 am »

"Tell her to make me a cambric shirt, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, with no seems nor needlework, then she'll be a true love of mine," Pasha said as he walked up, taking his place next to her on the battlements. "Sorry. I heard a lovely voice up here and I thought to myself, 'I wonder who such a beautiful song could belong to?' I never expected to find such a beautiful creature in a place like this..." His smile was teasing, but his tone sincere. He had only heard her sing a few times, but it was always a pleasure.

He looked down at the item in his hands and held it up for her appraisal. "Kothitas wish balloon. The only thing from there I wanted to stay with me." It was a small wooden framework that stretched material over a candle. "On the last day of winter, the people of Kothitas would light these and release them into the sky, to carry their hopes and dreams to the stars." He produced a match, but didn't strike it yet. "It was one of the most moving things I had ever seen."

He looked back up at Tala and gave her the match. "Anything you wish to ask of the Gods?" he said.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:19 am »

Tala thought out loud, motioning to the wish-balloon.

"If they still hold such things in that dark country, and speak aloud such hopes and dreams in Kothitas, perhaps it is not entirely a land forsaken..."

Then she took the match and struck it, watching it flare brightly on the first strike. She looked into the light, watching it dance.

"As for the Gods? I can only ask them to give us a healthy daughter with fair Red hair and her fathers eyes. Or a son, with the opposite number. Or both at once.

Other than that, they can stay out of our business."

She laughed musically, lighting the candle.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 24, 2012, 09:30:12 am »

Pasha grinned. The candle caught the flame, and the material above it rose slightly. "Then let's send them that lone request, and leave them alone." He held the item over the edge of the wall, then released it. In the cold morning air, it rose above Talama, and he found Tala's hand with his, enfolding it. "Perhaps it isn't. Or maybe it's just a concession to the old ways, before the family came into power. Either way, it's a beautiful tradition." A wind caught the balloon, and it drifted out towards the sea. Tala had mentioned children, and he turned to her.

"Both? Tala, be reasonable. Any child of yours is going to be too striking for their own good. All the other noble children would be drab in comparison." He turned to her and took her other hand as well, running his thumb along the back of her wrist. "But it would be worth it, too." He wondered which he wanted. "Yes... I think a daughter would be perfect. She'll grow up with her mother's love of horses, and perhaps her penchant for mischief. We would be forbidding her from doing things all the time, but she'd never listen." He smiled.

"Any son of mine would be much more hotheaded and unreasonable. We couldn't handle him at all, he'd run wild all over the place, always sneaking out past his curfew..."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 24, 2012, 10:05:12 am »

Tala found Pasha hand and held it tight. This was real.

"...any son of ours will be sneaking out to charm the local tavern girls, no doubt, once he was old enough.

He'd be wild and rowdy, but he would have a good heart, like his father. Maybe enough to measure out my mischievous heart."

As if for emphasis, she placed her other hand on Pashas chest, feeling his heartbeat-strong and steady. She smiled to feel it start beating a little faster at her touch. That was it. That was passion and love-a power that could not be bought, sold, stolen or found. It had to be given freely...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: January 24, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

((Anyway!!!))

William arrived at the front gates of the palace, with Chironas and two gaurds in tow.

"Tell Lord Chancellor Kathos Thunderblade, that William Varaum wishes to speak with him."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: January 24, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »

Chironas waited alongside William a bit impatiently, rubbing her hands to ward away the chill.

Then she slowly rotated her left arm, which was still a bit sore...

"Hmm. I'm guessing the "Lord Chancellor" wasn't so much, the last time you were here, William.

Fruits of the Coup, I guess. You think he's going to be a obstacle?"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: January 24, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »

William slipped his greatcoat off and wrapped it around Chironas.

"He was a lord, same as I and who knows, hopefully he won't be as much of one as Laythe was."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:19:23 pm by filiusenox »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: January 24, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »

The guard spoke to William after getting a whisper from his colleague who just came out of the palace.
"I'm sorry my lord, Lord Chancellor cannot be reached at the moment. But Lord Protector Vandire would be willing to see you, if you wish so..."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:18:29 pm by Ardas »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: January 24, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »

William shrugged.
"Lead on."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: January 24, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »

William was lead to the council chamber, where Nikephoros was waiting ahead of time, sitting at the middle of the table. Weapons were taken off Will before he entered.
Nikephoros rose up and spoke as soon as he saw the man.

"Ah, Sir William! I remember you vaguely from the time before you were forced to leave Ligoria, due to the "circumstances". Welcome back. What brings you here today?"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:42:10 pm by Ardas »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »

Pasha nodded and turned his eyes back to where he had last seen the balloon. "Perhaps we could give our children one on each of their birthdays and let them make a wish. They do come true, after all." Tale gave him a somewhat questioning look, and he nodded. "Completely sincere. Give me a moment and I'll see if I can put it into words..." Pasha moved so he was standing behind Tala, his arms around her waist and his chin resting on top of her head.

"The winter is clear, just cold enough that I can see my breath as I stand on the battlements of the Marlax castle, but not cold enough to be uncomfortable; there is little wind to chill the blood and bone. Spread out before me is the city, painted by the setting sun, and I watch the people gather in the square before the castle. It's the first and only time I see this ceremony." He paused, reliving the memory. "I am not the only one on the walls. Dysevik stands on a raised platform to my left; on his other side is my brother Ilsken, the royal treasurer. Beyond Ilsken are Galmaar, Alray, and Lonnath; favored younger half-brothers under my command. To my right is my favored sister Leikrys and beside her is her mother Winata. Beyond her are my other favored sisters, Orlina, Bortera, and Terena. Leikrys is young and, besides me, the one who despite her youth looks the most like our father."

Pasha took a moment to recall everything. "Leikrys is not yet a teenager and shy around me; I have not been in Kothitas for more than a week. After staring at me for some time, she gives me her wish balloon and says she doesn't have anything she wants to wish for. At first I don't want to take it. It's a stupid idea that only children would believe; wishes never come true, but I do not say this. I don't want to hurt her feelings. Before she can say anything further, a hush falls over the crowd as Dysevik motions to his men standing below, at the gates of the castle. With great care each soldier lights a taper, and begins to march among the commoners, giving each a moment to make their wish before he lights their candle. One by one the balloons lift into the sky, and it's the most beautiful ceremony I have ever seen. Cloths of every color float up, carrying hopes and dreams."

"Leikrys is still offering hers to me and I thank her for the generous gesture; I'm seized by the desire to make a wish too and have it join the others. Of everyone on the walls, only Galmaar and myself have a balloon. Dysevik lights mine with a taper, and I make a silent wish in my heart that soon I'll find a place I belong. He lights Galmaar's next, and we release our orange balloons together. Although the sun has yet to set, the sky is already shining with hundreds of points of light, shining brilliantly in the winter air. People depart, some sooner than others; eventually only Leikrys and I are left, watching the last balloon as it is carried away west, to the sea, where it fades into the horizon. She tugs my hand for attention and I turn to her. She asks, 'what did you wish for?' Lost in the moment, I do not think of lying, and merely answer 'a home.'"

Pasha smiled, a bittersweet expression. "'Welcome home, big brother,' she says, hugging my leg before leaving to find her mother. The air has gotten colder and the moon has risen, but still I do not leave the wall, convinced that I can still see my balloon drifting ever westward. It is the happiest I had ever been." He looked down, met Tala's eyes, and shook his head. "Here's where I ruin the mood by announcing I corralled a pair of serving girls and a case of wine, then spent the night and half of the next day in not entirely wholesome ways. It probably would have been the whole day if Ilsken hadn't drug me away so we could plan a strategy for taking a few territories close to the lowlands - a meeting I attended in nothing but a blanket being worn like a cloak, I might add, as it was all I could grab before being hustled off."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:10:37 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: January 24, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »

"Ah Nike, such a pleasure to see y- wait we never met..."

A moment of awkward silence.

"Well, anyway...Its a pleasure to meet you. As for why I've came, I personally just wanted to see if the rumors were true, since I was visiting Ligoria anyway. How successful was the Coup? Is Good Queen Laythe dead?"
William spat out the words 'Good Queen' like venom.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:03:29 pm by filiusenox »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: January 24, 2012, 05:07:51 pm »

Laythe fled. Bright One knows where to. But don't you worry, we are not finished with her just yet. Kathos prepared something, and we soon shall have her in our hands.
I hope that you returned to Ligoria for good? We are running a republic as you might know, but we do want to restore nobility to its rightful place as a integral part of the country. Unlike our "good " queen.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: January 24, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »

"There is no reason for me to stay. I just came to see if the rumors were true...and for Tala's wedding, of course."

"I'm assuming it's open season on Laythe's head? With a nice chunk of gold for whoever drags her in, dead or alive?"
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 220