Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231566 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2445 on: December 31, 2011, 01:58:02 am »

"Right. At the very least, my troops will be given hospitality? And my ship unaccosted?" Laythe took another sip of the ale while Eshir spoke, then replied.

"They aren't going to be easy to deal with though, and I only hope those dammed Lizards don't get back in there so they can manipulate the rebels..." Laythe was a bit surprised at Dala standing behind her chair, but after what she had just been through, there could be nothing that could frighten her from simply appearing...

"Well, they certainly know their professions well. Though I did at first assume that Hyte was an assassin at first, but that was paranoia speaking. I can trust him." Laythe took a deep breath, then continued speaking.

"Well, atleast we know that it'll get out, and thus I do have time to prepare..."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: December 31, 2011, 02:25:42 am »

"Of course. Those that wish to remain soldiers can, the rest can easily find work in the city. In regards to your rebel problem, we can think of something eventually. For now, I sent Ives to make up quarters for you both. Get some rest. We can speak on this later, as you said - we do have time"

Later that night...

"Dala, do it. Better to hear it from me directly..." Dala nods and leaves. Later that morning a messenger is sent to Shola...

Spoiler: Letter to Cain (click to show/hide)

Summer's End - Shola
Setting fire to the letter, Lord Cain tosses it on the platter on his desk and stares at it...
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 31, 2011, 02:38:47 am »

Laythe headed to the quarters provided. They may've not been as luxurious as her old Palace, but at this moment, Laythe was just grateful for the safe haven that was provided to her courtesy of Eshir.

All she wanted to do after Mileth was to try and amend her misttakes, and now Kathos and Nikepheros took the means of her doing so away.

They would PAY.

(EDIT: More coming, I'm just tired right now...)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:53:23 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 31, 2011, 08:13:09 am »

"Well, we are going to exercise a a rule over this nation together, with consent of its most important citizens and with acknowledgment of the commoners. After all, we have two commoners in this chamber right now. We can call it a Commonwealth in the Common, or use Hugo's suggestion of "Republica". I believe both roughly translate to the same thing. I thingk using "Republic" will work, and it won't give the masses too may ideas of what "common rule" means.
I leave it up to Hugo to come up with colours and symbol for the Republic."

"I beleive that most of the proposals are fine for implementation now, and Kathos will be able to deal with them. I need to look at the army though, and Pasha, you are welcome to be my right hand in military matters if you wish so. Its a friendly offer, don't feel pressured though."

Then Nikephoros spoke with a certain amount of concern in his voice.
"What are we doing here is quite unprecedented. Some monarchs may be upset that its so easy to overturn their rule and that we are giving their lieutenants ideas. And Laythe herself is problably organising a response to our action. Just keep it in mind that we may have to face more war as the time goes."

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:50:55 am by Ardas »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: December 31, 2011, 08:32:49 am »

"I don't doubt that she is," Pasha sighed. "I thank you for your offer, although I hope you don't mind if I take some time to talk it over with Tala and evaluate our own forces and finances and everything." He rubbed at the back of his neck. This was what having a home meant, he reflected. No longer could he just direct a few troops here, some soldiers there, collect his pay, and move on with little care for the outcome of his employer winning. Now he had to start worrying about the future and the politics of Ligoria, and take up responsibilities that he wasn't really used to.

He looked over at Tala. Well... any inadequacies I have for government, I'm sure she can make up for and teach me about. He turned back to Nikephoros. "We'll have to think of ways to recoup the money Laythe stole on her way out. I propose we use some of what we have left to fund the creation of a few new businesses. With any luck the taxes - which we should leave as they are; as much as we need the money, we need public opinion more, and raising them wouldn't help that - will get us back on track."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: December 31, 2011, 10:03:22 am »

"We should not worry about Laythe, for now. She might have money and determination, but all of her actions will be hard because of her reputation. She will eventually try to take back her throne, but that will not be soon. As far as we know, Ligoria has one of the greatest armies in this part of the Storm Coast. The only nation that could be a threat for us is Galam, and Galam is a mercenary state. I do not believe that they would help Laythe without being paid, and Laythe does not have enough money to hire an army from this state and keep it together long enough to be a threat to us. We have more important problems to deal with in Talama."

Kathos paused to let that sink in.

"I own a wine business in my lands. I plan to spend some money to make the business produce more. Hopefully, it will help us in the seasons to come. However, that will not be enough for some of our problems. If any of you have some money that they do not need, please think about using it to repair some of the damage that Laythe left behind. The reconstruction of Talama will no doubt cost a little fortune, and the treasury is nearly empty."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: December 31, 2011, 10:35:20 am »

Simon walked through the main gates of the glorious capital city of Ligoria, and sighed. Searching for the man named Pasha here would indeed be hard, but from the rumors he was a skilled tactician, and fighter. Maybe this man would be worthy enough to become Simon's liege perhaps not, but in the end Simon had no other choice, there were few who had such a reputation as this man. With that Simon began strolling through the streets, many people backed away, and scuttled into side alleys as he walked by. 'They fear me this much simply from the weapons I carry?' he thought to himself before touching the pommel of one of his twin blades, unknowingly causing a nearby merchant to hide under a table.

Search for the tactician named Pasha in Ligoria
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:49:51 am by adwarf »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:16 am »

"I own a wine business in my lands. I plan to spend some money to make the business produce more. Hopefully, it will help us in the seasons to come. However, that will not be enough for some of our problems. If any of you have some money that they do not need, please think about using it to repair some of the damage that Laythe left behind. The reconstruction of Talama will no doubt cost a little fortune, and the treasury is nearly empty."

Tala thought for a moment.

"Most of House Alanis funds are currently invested in lumber ventures  around our lands-if needed, we can provide raw materials for reconstruction."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: December 31, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »

Nikephoros looked at all the gathered and considered the meeting done. Most issues seemed to be resolved, and the details could be ironed out on one to one basis.

"Well then, my dear councillors, I believe that this concludes our first meeting of the Council of State. Kathos can take care of all matters civil and financial, I am going to work on the security and justice in the city, as well as the army. Any official ceremony of delcaration of the new state arangements and of our new titles can be done later this season."

He then looked at Tala and Pasha.
I would also like to congratulate the young couple. I look forward to attending the wedding ceremony."

"Hugo, I look forward to using new colours and a coat of arms for the Republic as desigend by you. Also, if you would like to talk with me later, I want to work out the arrangmenets for the town watch and the crime. I don't want any more mess or stepping on someone without a reason."

With that, Nikephoros stood up, and begun moving out of the chamber. Before he left, he motioned to Kathos with his hand to come and follow Nikephoros for a private chat.

-----------------------------------------
As they were walking together, Nikephoros spoke up first.
"We are sorted out, save for one thing. Do you think asking for a noble title and an estate is a good thing at this point? I mean, I am to be a Lord, but it may come off as I simply took over the power for material gain. And to be honest, I am strapped for cash. I got 1 ducat to spare and I will give it to you for reconstruction, but in the future, instead of taking a state pension every year, it would be better if I had an estate and couple of parcels somewhere."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: December 31, 2011, 04:01:31 pm »

Pasha stood as well. "Well, the date's not set in stone yet Marshal Vandire, although I think the summer solstice would be good." He looked at Tala to see what she thought of that day. "We would love to have you there, too. We'll let the three of you know when it will be." He looked rather pleased with the idea, and he pulled Tala's chair back slightly so she could stand from her chair easier. "I think tomorrow, love, I'll go 'round the market and get a few things." He specifically didn't say what they were to let it be a surprise, but both of them knew that, at the very least, Galam Honey Ale would be one of the items he picked up.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: December 31, 2011, 04:44:24 pm »

He looked rather pleased with the idea, and he pulled Tala's chair back slightly so she could stand from her chair easier. "I think tomorrow, love, I'll go 'round the market and get a few things." He specifically didn't say what they were to let it be a surprise, but both of them knew that, at the very least, Galam Honey Ale would be one of the items he picked up.

Tala smiled, standing up and taking Pashas hand. She leaned toward him.

"As long you want to give me a surprise...maybe I'll have one for you too."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juan presses his boot on Gregor's wounded gut and readies his blade for a killing stroke.

"Primarily because, as you said, Laz is a very good judge of character.  If you're a Cyclicist, I hope that in your next life you betray for bigger money.  If not... Shining One carry you Home."

Juan finishes Gregor, cleanly and quickly.

Juan knocks on Laz's door, cleaning his blade with a bit of Gregor's shirt.

"You know, that's not the first 'son' I've known to sell his father out for the inheritance.  So what's next on the list, Mr Milwort?"

Laz leans back as Juan enters, and tosses him a hefty bag of coin.

"Good work. Consider that your sign on bonus, Juan.

Hmm...that's about what, six months worth of bricklaying? Make sure you enjoy yourself with it. Poor Gregor lived like a Monk-never drank, never whored, just saved up all his money, said he was socking it away to get married and have a family one day..."

Laz motions the window outside his office, where two faceless thugs are measuring Gregors body for dismemberment and hasty disposal.

He nods somberly, allowing Juan to sit back down.

"I like you, Juan. Numerous reasons.

First, you did what I said. Second, you did it fast. Third...you didn't ask any stupid questions. I like that...

Ahh, but you get right to the point. You want another job. Well, let me ask you some questions first. Just stuff that's of interest to me."

Laz leans forward.

"To start-what won't you do?

I know, I know-everybody wants to say they can handle everything...but some people, they like to keep a little something, a line they won't cross. I don't hold it against my employees. I'm willing to make certain allowances for these things-after all, if I send you on a job and you hestitate, you die...so, I want us to be honest with each other.

Some of my guys won't kill women, for example. I can respect that.

Most of them won't kill kids-not all of them, but most.

A few even prefer to only have jobs that target rival gangs, and leave the civilians out of it. A bit tougher...but, I can even allow that.

What about you Juan? Do you have a line you won't cross for me? It's all a question of how far you expect to go in this business...and, what you can live with at the end of the day."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:48:25 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: December 31, 2011, 05:26:33 pm »

Kathos spoke one last time before the others went away.

"I'll handle most of the reforms and government changes as soon as possible. I'll also evaluate the amount of damage that was done in the riots and the morale of the citizens. There should be another council meeting in autumn, when we will have a good idea of what's left to do."

He stood up and followed Nikephoros. He listened closely, and he smiled.

"I can give you my parcels if you wish, and make you part of the nobility. It's only a matter of paperwork. I will not be needing my own lands anymore, since I intend to stay in the palace and my business is a sufficient source of profits."

He sighed.

"It might have to wait a few weeks, however. I have... Alot of work to do."

Government reforms:
The murder by self-defense law is changed. If someone can prove beyond any doubt that he had to kill an attacker to save his own life, then it is not a crime.
Criminals sentenced to death will now be hanged instead of being sent to the arena. Those who which to die in the arena can become gladiators. The arena will now be used for tournaments, duels and sportive activities.
An investigation will be started in the government to make sure that the officials are all competent. This investigation will also be used to see if there is corruption in the government.
Taloisism is now the state religion. The worship is not mandatory, and the other religions are not made illegal.

Evaluate the level of happiness of the people, and evaluate how much people are in favor of slavery.

Send messengers to every nation in this part of the Storm Coast. They must inform the officials that anyone who will bring Laythe Ralia alive to Talama will receive 5 ducats. They should spread the word everywhere they go, and also spread stories of Laythe's madness and cruelty.

Spend 2.4d to have the Wine Business start producing goods.

Send a messenger to Shola, carrying the following letter:

Spoiler: Letter to Lord Cain (click to show/hide)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: December 31, 2011, 10:55:05 pm »

The day after the meeting

Pasha checked his sack of goods. He had the ale Tala loved so much, an assortment of fresh fruits and vegetables, and a few sweets wrapped in paper to prevent them from rubbing the frosting off against the rest of his stuff. I think it will do us both some good to get out of the city for an afternoon... and I know a good spot. We can ride Emerald out, tie her reins to the tree, have lunch near the river, maybe stay out all night... He smiled to himself. He had spent a lot of time out in the wilderness on his own, since often it was faster to cut through forests - avoiding inhabitants like bears and bandits, of course - than to take the roads. Especially since outlaws tended to watch the roads more closely than they did the less civilized areas.

Just as he finished paying for the loaf of bread, the merchant took a look behind him and hid under his table. I wonder what that's all about. He turned to look around for what could be causing such a reaction. Nothing really stood out, except for a man - probably a mercenary - with a two-handed sword crossing a longsword on his back and paired blades, one at each hip. Hmm, I don't recognize him. Maybe he's in town looking for work? I'm going to be a baron soon, I suppose I could use a bodyguard... I'd better get a feel for him before I ask anything, though. For all I know he's already on his way to a contract.

Hefting his sack over his shoulder, Pasha fell into step beside the man, making sure the side with the sack was the one towards him, as if to indicate he wasn't planning anything untoward, if only because of how awkward it would be to attack with his far hand. "Good day," he said, looking over at him as they walked. "New to Ligoria? It's a bit chaotic right now with the recent change in regime." He offered his free hand, even though it meant reaching across his body. "My name's Pasha, what's yours?"

(Welcome to Ligoria, adwarf. ^^^)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: December 31, 2011, 11:10:26 pm »

Simon looked over at the man, and scanned him up, and down before saying "So you are the one named Pasha ... Anywho my name is Simon Tunisa. It is a pleasure to meet you, and I am indeed new to this town. Before you ask my business I shall tell you, I am a traveling swordsman here looking for work, and other private matters." He shifted a bit, and took his hand of the pommel of his sword then heaved a sigh into the air. Once finished he stared up at the castle in the distance.

'This is going to take a while ...' Simon thought as he examined the man next to him. With the introductions finished, and Simon's battle instincts itching he asked "Now I might as well ask you. Do you know of any work that might be available to swordsman such as myself?"

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: January 01, 2012, 12:26:21 am »

Head to the Dry Dock where the Smugglers make their den. Arrange a meeting with the boss.

[6] Arranging a meeting isn't overly difficult, [1] your reputation is already a problem for you. Gang leaders seem to be getting skittish around anyone with the stones to strike at the Lord directly. [3] However you can still get your meeting, unarmed and on neutral ground. There's an old vineyard on the north end of town, outside the walls, that the gang is more than willing to meet at. No more than three men to a dispute.

Attitude Rolls: [115]

-Terryn goes to a meeting with the Captain, attempting to intimidate the guardsmen into letting him into the office even if the Captain is out (preferably if the captain is out) or even if the Captain does not wish to see him at this time.
-Terryn also sends Bjorn to meet with William's chapter, asking for a time and place where Terryn and William can meet and plan in secrecy.

[6] Your intimidating stature(?) allows you to force your way by the guards at the door to the captain's office. [2-1] He is, sadly, in said office - and his usually surly self. [3] No one follows you in though, probably waiting outside for word to have you killed for being an intrusive nuisance.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:41:21 am by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 220