Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231503 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2385 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

Kathos frowned even more.

"While I respect your opinion, I will have to insist on a specific point. What we are doing now is a courtesy. The Queen made me her advisor a few weeks ago. This makes me the highest ranked noble in the Kingdom, and Nikephoros is at the head of the army. All three of you had everything to win and nothing to lose in this rebellion, while we had to place our life at risk every day to make this happen. I am offering you more power than before, a better ruling system,  and more than Laythe ever did I trust you. However, you keep asking for more. If we were not reasonable, we could simply call the guards and have all three of you executed, as a way to make sure that nobody is in position to be a problem for us. However, we are trying to create a fair system where more people will have something to say about the way this Kingdom is ruled."

"The council will not have the power to get rid of the two lords. I will not concede anything on that matter. As for succession, a vote will be held by the council and the surviving lord everytime one of the rulers dies. That way, there will be more than two persons responsible of choosing the following rulers for this kingdom, and you will not have to fear that the next one will be a madman or a cruel dictator if you choose well."

He cleared his throat.

"Have I made my point clear?"

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: December 30, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »

"Hmm. Yes, alright. You have made yourself clear."

Hugo stands.

"All hail the new joint monarchs of Ligoria, King Thunderblade and King Vandire. May their rule be slightly less despotic than the one that preceded it."

Hugo laughed.
"After all, what do I care? I'm just an artist. If you want the country, you can have it. Truly, I do not care. Just leave me to my art, and"-he looks at Thunderblade-"my other endeavours"
Long Live United Forenia!

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: December 30, 2011, 01:23:43 pm »

Azkhael stands on a dimly illuminated room, overlooking a city map.

I suppose this route will do, even if I am seen it is unlikely that anyone would believe give the local scum's words much credit... That and hopefully the area will be unimportant enough that there won't be any patrols around. Humans seem to make an habit out of placing their poorer kin around the harbour.

Attempt to get from the docks to the manor undetected, passing mainly through rundown as in to avoid local authorities. The manor is located far east from the city's center, but within its borders.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: December 30, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »

Tala wondered why they bothered with the meeting at all, if they intended to merely play "You will all die if you disobey us" card on the table. She trusted Nikephoros. Maybe Kathos was merely playing the bad ruler for the sake of both of them?

What a joke. The 'new' system would be the two of them as one mind, ruling in lockstep with absolute power, each supporting the other in every decision, until they both rotted of old age and placed a bastard heir on the throne, assuming either of them produced one-no matter what the council, powerless it was now made, decided. There was no place for personal advancement either, especially for young noblewomen like she pretended to be.

Maybe it was for the best. The Kingdom would probably remain stable, and she could maybe enjoy her life for once.

She rolled her eyes, bored, irritated and frustrated with the entire thing.

"Well, at least we dropped the pretense of true accountability from our Rulers. Twas a happy fantasy, for the hour of all it lasted. We can all agree the Council as it will be, shall have no teeth, relying upon the rulers whim to exercise restraint in their rule. As it has always been.

But, I agree with Hugo, slightly less despotism is always better...just leave me to my Husband, and leave my artist alone, on my part, and I shall be content.

...Do we have anything else to discuss, then?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: December 30, 2011, 01:59:19 pm »

Nikephoros was annoyed by the argument. Kathos did not want to yield, but other pushed for extraordinary demands.but he thought of a solution that will hopefully cover most points demanded by both sides.
Hugo, Tala, please, calm down. We are not going to push for anything without a consensus in here.
I am going to take the position of Lord Protector, while retaining the rank of Marshal. I will oversee the army, the execution of laws, justice and crime.
Kathos shall become Lord Chancellor and he will take care of all other spheres: civil rule, administration and economy. Foreign policy and treasury are a joint field of competence, with greater influence of either lord, depending on personal abilities.

Two Lords will rule. The Council of State, containing two representatives of nobility and one of the common estate will serve as the check on power and as advisor to the Lords and will help legislate. The council may be adjusted in size if such necessity occurs.
The candidates for Lords will be chosen as per Kathos' suggestion, as a joint decision betwen the remaining Lord and the council. Position of a Lord is for life, but can be recalled only if the Noble Assembly agrees to do so. Noble Assembly will be called in only for that reason, and it can be summoned by request of the Council and agreement of one Lord. 

He paused, letting everyone digest that proposal.

"If there is anything you find disagreeable, speak now."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: December 30, 2011, 02:02:26 pm »

Tala nodded to Nikephoros with respect, and a degree of actual admiration.

"Nikephoros speaks with wisdom. I abide with his decision in full."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: December 30, 2011, 02:04:33 pm »

"I fully agree with Nikephoros."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »

Hugo shrugged, and sat down again.

"Well, I'd recommend increasing the size of the council to about a dozen members, but other than that, the suggestion is fine. The land will be safeguarded against tyranny, and a repeat of queen laythe."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: December 30, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

Pasha shrugged. "I would say we keep the council small for now, get a feel for how everything is going to work. In a few seasons, perhaps in the winter months, we can start looking for other trustworthy people to join it. Right now this whole thing is still in its formative stages. I say we take it slow and simple. Trying to rush the creation process is only going to cause problems later on."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:45 pm »

"Pasha raises a good point. The council will grow eventually, but not yet. There are other things to be done first."

"First of all, some laws need to be changed and the government will see a few reforms. For exemple, the fact that murder by self-defense is considered to be a simple murder is shameful. I suggest to slightly change this law; if the 'victim' can prove beyond any doubt that his life was in danger and that he had to kill the attacker to survive, murder by self-defense will not be considered to be a crime."

"There is also the fact that criminals are sent to the arena to fight to death once they have been judged. This is a barbaric way of dealing with prisonners - I believe that a man, even a worthless criminal, should have the right to die quickly. I think we should stop using the arena for gladiators and instead organize tournaments, duels and sportive activities in it. The people will still be happy."

"I also noted that the majority of the people working in the government are women. While this is not a bad thing at all, I wonder if Laythe did not show some favoritism when she chose who worked with her. I would like to eventually start an investigation to see if there are incompetent people who only entered because Laythe liked them, or competent people who stayed outside because Laythe disliked them."

"Any complaints so far?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: December 30, 2011, 02:49:34 pm »

"I have a theory about that, actually: Laythe was afraid of men, especially the idea of marriage." He knew why that was. "So she surrounded herself with women to prevent having too many men around her. Anyway, I agree with the change to self-defense, but I'm a bit torn on the arena. Perhaps we should offer prisoners the choice of an execution or fighting in the arena as a gladiator? Some people would probably prefer to die honorably in battle rather than hang from a noose." He scratched his chin in thought. "I have no argument about also using it for tournaments, duels, and other activities, though."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: December 30, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »

"None whatsoever. We can leave the council at this for now, saves on squabbling in these early stages. Yes, the murder laws are ridiculous. The arena is barbaric. But fun- we should keep it around. Perhaps give criminals a choice of execution or the arena? I think I speak for all of us when I say I've enjoyed a weekend show or two at the arena."

Hugo said this at almost the exact same time as Pasha.

"I have another point that needs raising. Laythe, in her insanity, closed down many churches and placed restraints on the public worship of god. We need to bring Ligoria back into the Light, or our fortunes will never improve. Even the best captain- or, indeed, captains- cannot sail without a light to guide them. We should restore Taloisism as the state religion at once."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: December 30, 2011, 02:53:39 pm »

"I suppose that if some prisonners would rather die in the arena, we can let them, Pasha. As for the Taloisism as a state religion... Well, it is by far the most popular religion of the nation. I suppose we could make it the state religion once again."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: December 30, 2011, 02:57:59 pm »

Pasha looked distinctly uncomfortable. "Worship wouldn't be required, would it? If so, I would have to disagree." He looked at Hugo. "I mean, I have no problem with others finding comfort in churches and worship - of any religion - but I'm not a believer."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: December 30, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »

"Worship will not be obligatory and other worships will not be illegal. The population would be furious if we forced them to believe in our gods."
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 220