Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231535 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 416a)
« Reply #2205 on: December 23, 2011, 05:58:33 pm »

Juan nodded to Franz as he sat down.

"Evening, master," he said, then tipped his head to one of the tradesmen.  "Why don't we deal him in, fellows?"

The card game continued, small talk filling in the gaps.  Juan listened for a while, then answered Franz's question when asked.

"Juan, good master.  Just a soldier, back from the war with some coins burning a hole in his pocket. Raise you sixpence.  No takers?  Alright.  Raise it another sixpence.  Going to call me?  Thought not.  Thank you very much.  So you say you're a trader, good master?  Rough time to be bringing in stock, 'less its bread, blades or bandages.  I don't know, is that your stock?  Matching you.  Hm.  Calling it.  Damn.  Well, easy come, easy go.  So whereabouts are you bringing in goods from anyhow?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: December 23, 2011, 06:01:22 pm »

Marlax... He knew this name well. Kathos frowned for a few seconds, as he thought about old memories. There was a slight movement of his hand, barely noticeable, towards his belt. As if he had been trying to draw his sword...

Three men were standing on a hill. One of them was wounded. The two others, six meters away from the wounded man, were standing next to a black banner, and unlike the other man they were in armor. On the banner was a golden sword struck by golden thunder. Not long ago, a mighty battle had happened in the plain down below. One of the two men in armor spoke, with pride in his voice.

“It’s over, Marlax. Your armies are defeated. For three years, the people of these lands have lived in fear as you burned and killed everywhere you went. However, you’ve met your match today.”

The wounded man smiled weakly. He answered slowly, as if talking was causing him pain.

“I won’t allow you to act as if you were a righteous knight with me, Thunderblade. My actions are nothing compared to yours.”

Angered by the accusation, one of the two men in armor said something to his friend, and he drew his sword. The other man tried to stop him, but the wounded man drew a firearm from his belt and fired towards the men in armor.  He was aiming towards the man with the unsheathed sword, but he missed. The bullet hit the third man.

Soldiers in the plain started to rush towards the hill when they heard the gunshot. The man with the sword dropped to his knees and called for a medic as he was trying to get his friend out of his armor.

The wounded man, still holding the firearm, was running to his horse.

”I knew a Marlax, back in the days. I met him while I was going north. He tried to destroy my army to make sure I wouldn’t interrupt his actions. If he was from the same family as the one you were supposed to marry, I understand.”

He had said that in a casual tone, sounding like it was only a faraway memory.

”It can be hard to control a nation without any help. Since you spent your first year without any noble or even a very competent military officer, I can see that it was hard to rule the kingdom well.”
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:25:27 pm by Shootandrun »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: December 23, 2011, 06:12:51 pm »

Franz, seeing that they had all emptied their mugs, ordered another round for them.

"I'm Chade, master is unnecessary. I am actually a partner in a weapons firm, we are actually considering on opening up shop here as well. Judging by your uniform I would say that you are a soldier? Although I do profit from war, it is still a nasty business."

Seeing another round take place he gladly made a bigger bet than usual on it, he had good cards.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: December 23, 2011, 06:20:34 pm »

"Like I said, yes.  Planning to bring arms in, or set up a forge?  There's bound to be some smelters who'd love you for that."  Juan paused.  "And some forgers who'd hate you, mind.  But still, the war's over.  Won't be a very stable market."  Juan studied the cards in his hand.  He placed a handful of coins into the pot to match Franz' bet then gave a glance, poker-faced, at the 'trader'.  "Unless you reckon there's more trouble ahead, friend Chade?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: December 23, 2011, 06:43:22 pm »

"You are mistaken. This was not your fault. There are many hings that went wrong, but they all have one source... Rest assured that the deaths of your men were not in vain."

"It may take some time, but I look forward to giving you an assigment as soon as you are able to get out of bed. You are just the man for a thing I have in mind. Uyou will understand better once you take the order."

Nikephoros walked towards the door. Before he left he spoke last words.
Get better quick Wilheim. I need men like you."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: December 23, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »

"Well, I can handle running the day-to-day parts of a nation. Most of my education did cover that sort of thing..." Laythe once again took a deep breath. She was looking a little bit better at this point, the memories of the past being pushed back to the depths of her mind.

"Admittedly, Mileth was a sobering experience for me. One that proves that not only do I have a few problems, but that I have a lot to learn" Laythe now sat up straight, no longer holding her head with her hands, she looked out upon Talama through the window.

"However, before we continue I'd like to apologize for the whole debacle at Mileth. It was wrong of me to have done what I did. I only hope that he got the apology I sent him..."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: December 23, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »

"I gave your letter to the Arctic Fox. He was sleeping when I arrived in the tent, so I placed it next to him. However, I don't know if he had the chance of reading it before his death."

He paused for a few seconds, thinking.

"What are your plans for the future, now that the campaign of Mileth is over?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: December 23, 2011, 07:02:11 pm »

Nikephoros walked towards the door. Before he left he spoke last words.
Get better quick Wilheim. I need men like you."

Wilheim got the message. He nodded silently once again, and Nikephoros left him with his thoughts...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: December 23, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

"Right now? Just getting the population settled down first. We can worry about any further plans later. At the very least I do think I need someone to teach me how to handle diplomacy and such, as well as some self control. I do find that you happen to be not only someone I trust, but actually know those kinds of things, and as such I do believe I require your services to tutor me in the art of statemanship..."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: December 23, 2011, 07:13:53 pm »

William glanced at the serving girl and winked, handing her a few gold coins to pay for the drinks -even though one of the coins would pay for any drinks five times over-  before smiling at the man.
"Not to be impolite, but I don't drink anymore, as it makes my temper flare, and especially don't drink when I have business to attend to after the meeting. But I will buy your drinks, if you like. Oh...My men also don't drink on duty, unless the odds are impossible and they could die in a few moments."
He glanced over at Chironas.
"Would you like anything though, Love?"
Chironas didn't like the way the mans eyes rolled off of her immediately, dismissing her-in the last few weeks she had seen the same things from the rest of Williams men. She could hardly blame them for thinking-Just another woman...how long will he keep this one...harlots a dime a dozen...

It had taken more willpower than she thought she possessed to win even the barest respect among them. Not, because they were all ignoble pigs (some were), but because Williams presence was overpowering, like being in the presence of...something older, and more terrible than a mortal should be. It was difficult to live in the mans shadow. But, it was oh so comfortable. There was that, at least.

Still, she felt a flush of anger at Terryn-wanted to reach across the table and....mmm. Her fingers relaxed. Restrain it, she thought-keep control for now. Don't ruin Williams chance for business.

"Just a shot of something strong and bitter, if you please. Udan Black, if they have it."

She needed the bitterness-needed it to keep her clarity, but not enough to dull her wits.
"Fair enough," Terryn replied calmly, waving the tavern maid away. She'd know to bring him another mug of the same drink: A strong and fiery whiskey from some western brewery. The Hedge Knight's eyes flickered over the group for a second time, attempting to gain a second judgement before returning to their leader, still rather uninterested in the guards as a whole. He smiled and ran a hand through his burning hair, before extending that same hand for a shake. It occurred to him that he should have worn gloves, the Lonemine Lord had no reason to kill him but his was an unpredictable lot.
"I believe we've gotten off on the wrong foot. I am Sir Terryn Selgvyrdson of the Thornbred Knights." He paused a moment, considering, and then continued. "And judging by the garb of your soldier when I first met her, you are one of many Lords of a Lonely Mine. Though I still don't know your name."
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: December 23, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »

William 's leather gloved hand shook Terryn's offered hand. Tightly, but not strong enough to break the man's hand. When Terryn let go- for William had noticed Chironas' hand twitch slightly- he put his hand on her knee and squeezed lightly, hoping to relax her.
"William "Sanguine" Sarturi. At your- well not at your service, sorry to say, more like my own. As for being from Lonemine, why yes I am, my chapter is as well. But I am no lord of that den of snakes, or else I would not be in charming Polca."

"Judging by your accent your from...Stonewood district or Lonemine Elberth or...Suul? No not Suul. Correct?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:27:03 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: December 23, 2011, 07:35:02 pm »

Kathos hesitated. It was a short hesitation, but it could be noticed. The Queen wanted to improve. The queen wanted to learn more about politics and statesmanship. Of course, she wanted to do that after he had started to plot against her. But at the same time, he remembered his meetings with the Queen before the siege... She seemed to be normal, patient, reasonable... And then he had seen her at Mileth. What if this conversation was only one of her 'sane' times, and she would return to her madness as soon as she was under pression? This was the best occasion. The time was perfect for a rebellion. The people was angry, and the army lacked loyalty. It might be his last chance in a long time... He had to talk to Nikephoros.

"Well, I guess I could teach you a few things here and there. Talking to crowds, military and diplomatic moves, I can teach all that. Not now, however. The campaign was hard for everyone, and I will spend the next week dealing with the problems in my lands. Some civilians are angry even there."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: December 23, 2011, 07:46:35 pm »

"Very well. Still, I'll inform the guards of my decision. You want to be there to advise me at any reasonable time, the guards will let you in. I asusume this is goodbye until our mext meeting." Laythe resumed her consumption of the wine in solemn silence, in rememberance of those lost in the conflict...

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: December 23, 2011, 08:06:05 pm »

"Ah, well...consider me at your service, then." Terryn replied, casually ignoring the question about his own origins. "But first, allow me to say that I am glad that I'm not the only one who feels that Polca is...lacking. Our lordship leaves much to be desired, hm? And that guard captain..." He trailed off once more as the wench approached with their drinks, hardly paying her even the slightest bit of attention. Where Oswald's eyes were no doubt on the woman's arse, Terryn had hardly dropped his unwavering gaze from "Sanguine's" own.

Finally, taking a short swig from his drink, he continued. "I mean, they've no tact, really. Ignoring me for two days and threatening to execute me in the same conversation in which they hire me to retrieve your head? Really, I think someone ought to teach them a lesson in...well, running things. Don't you?" He did not miss a beat, casually mentioning the job (though in truth he had been the one to suggest it, not they) as if it were a normal part of conversation. To his right, Ian shifted uncomfortably and Bjorn coughed.

Terryn grinned, and waved a hand idly, "In any case, I think you and I could gain from working together. If the rumors I've heard have any truth to them."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:09:36 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: December 23, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »

Back at the Shambling Willow...

Your Lordship, we've arriv-

There is no need, Iocaun, I've already been informed by one of the guards. Let us wait, we won't be leaving the ship until night, it wouldn't do for one such as me to walk around the streets in broad daylight. Whereas you suffer no such limitations, the rather limited number of personnel which could be brought onboard without ruining our cover means I will need you and the guards around until I've settled at my laboratory of choice, where I will be best able to... raise... suitable defenses.

If I may ask, where exactly would that be?

While I fail to see what would be accomplish out of you discovering that at this moment I suppose I can humor you. It is but a manor within the city, whose purchase I had arranged previous arranged for; I do believe that the man sent was one of your kin... Oh well, it matters not. Back to the topic at hand, the residence's real appeal is the presence of a large number of underground chambers just below it, supposedly built by a group of cultists a few centuries ago. Leave it to demons and spirits to recall every time they have been called upon along the ages. As for you, it'd be best if you were to go and check on the guards, we leave by dusk.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 220