Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231946 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 415a)
« Reply #1440 on: November 16, 2011, 07:04:04 am »

After washing the flour out of hair-what a nightmare!-Tala penned a note to Nikephoros as well. Ohoho. This would be fun!

Honored General Nikephoros

I'm sure you knew about the trouble in Mileth before me. I've spoken with the Queen about certain details of what we plan to do...I am personally raising forces on the Kingdoms behalf, naturally. The problem is, my military training is minimal. I could easily hire someone, but I do not entirely trust a mercenary general with my forces-an understandable concern, I believe.

I know you are busy, which is why I hoped to contact you through this-I, Tala Alanis, humbly request you to tutor military strategy under you, General Nikephoros-field training, and the drilling and command of fighting men-no books or class sessions I would subject you to. I can think of no better person to train me, and we may indeed be taking the field together often-at the least, I may learn the basics to avoid certain diasaster. I can understand if your duties restrain you, and in that case, I can only ask you refer me to a valued friend of yours I may enlist for this duty.

Though I do not know if you were on friendly terms with my father-or fought against him-he was indeed a General of Ligoria, and he would have wanted me to follow in his footsteps. His strategy was...unrefined, but effective. Looking back, I fear he may have been too careless with his mens live in pursuit of victory-a trait I may no doubt inherit, for while subtle tactics are not unknown to me, they have up till now be primarily the organizing of party functions and the games played therein. I am not sure what sort of command I would make, but I am willing to find out, hopefully alongside you.

Awaiting your decision,

One Tala Alanis
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: November 16, 2011, 09:40:00 am »

While waiting for Avitus to discuss the issue of queen fighting on the frontline, he received a letter from Tala. What could it be? Was she still trying to flirt with him? Ha, silly girl.

After reading the letter, he took some parchment and written a reply.

Lady Tala,

It is great that you decide to follow the footsteps of our Queen and learn a bit more about the trade of war. I did not have the pleasure of meeting or working with your father, but I assume that a person of many talents like you will quickly pick up on the necessary things.

It is not in my interest though to expose you to unnecesary danger and disgust that accompanies the business of ending life of another. Nevertheless if you persist in your desire, then you are free to accompany and observe me during the campaign against the Empire. There is no better way to learn than by participation and being in the middle of things. I will not hold it against you if you change your mind on the matter.

Regards
General of HM Army, Nikephoros Vandire.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:04:52 pm by Ardas »

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 16, 2011, 05:06:17 pm »

Lucius sighed. It appeared that he had not enough money to buy a full hold of lumber and no damned merchant would want to sell him either less, or at more modest price. Ligoria didn't seem like such a good place to do business now.

He spent several days in tavern, mostly drinking and trying to find some way to finance his first venture. The state bank, for some reason, didn't want to give him a loan. The discussion with the clerk left Grimewalde puzzled. Apparently, the locals were scared that, for some strange reason, he is going to take the borrowed money and sail away from the Storm Coast. Strange.

A man he met in the tavern advised him to join a trade guild. There were one in Vasir, but Lucius was quite reluctant to give his independence up so easily. He needed less than one ducat, after all...

Search for a merchant who could lend enough money to buy a shipment of wood. If this fails, just sail to Vasir.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: November 16, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »

((OOC: I guess Tala gets to meet all the new players :P ))

'Tala' was going through her notes again-mostly deciding how she would act to Nikephoros. She was sure he was fond of her...but now might not be the time to play on those emotions...

She picked up a invoice delivered that morning. At the bottom of the pile, naturally.

A merchant, then? A man named Lucius Grimewalde, who had met with the Queen awhile ago, and apparently had almost nothing to his name at all. Perfect. She would meet with him...and see what exactly sort of man he was.

Some time later that day, she arrived at the Tavern he was rumored to be staying at. Of course, she didn't know what he looked like. She asked the bartender quietly.

"Excuse me, sir-I'm looking for one Lucius Grimewalde...also, can I get a draught of Galam Honey Ale?"

He gave her the information she wanted. Tala leaned against the bar, sipping her drink-waiting to notice him, or the other way around. She was quite out of place here, after all.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: November 16, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

Search for a merchant who could lend enough money to buy a shipment of wood. If this fails, just sail to Vasir.

[5] The best you could find was another merchant that needed to deliver a load of [2] tier goods in a few crates to [5] Vasir of all places. He paid [4] 4d for the goods he says were industrial in nature. He's willing to forego any profit from the sale in Vasir, claiming he's been paid more already by the desperate supplier to make sure they reach their destination. The man apparently is late on a shipment to a client and doesn't want to lose his contract.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: November 16, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »

Lucius raised his head. It appeared that not only merchants visit this tavern, after all. The red-haired woman certainly wasn't a traveler - she wasn't dressed like one. Someone aboard has to endure numerous hardships and he needs a good cloak to protect him from the wind and water. Her outfit looked more representative than practical. Nevertheless, she looked rich.

A local one. Just what he needed.

"All right. Tell your master I agreed." He said to the messenger. The man nodded and left.

The merchant stood up and approached the mysterious woman. He gave her a broad smile, trying to appear both charming and trustworthy.

"Good evening to you, dear lady.", he said. "You stand out in this, pretty much dull, crowd. Aren't you afraid that all these traders will bore you to death? "

After the talk, agree to the merchant's proposal and take his goods to Vasir.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:00 pm »

'Tala' saw the man approaching her. He had a certain...vulgarity about him. Just under the surface. Well, it couldn't be helped.

She nodded and smiled as he addressed her, red hair bobbing along nicely. She felt the maddening urge to start staightening our her locks again, but resisted.

"I've found most traders are quite interesting when they talk about things other than the acquisition of money...alas, as you say, many of them have no sense of adventure-I assume it's bad for profits. It makes for a dull life, but a safe one, I guess."

She absently stirred her drink with a small spoon in her left hand, keeping her eyes on him.

"So, what about you? Did you approach me seeking profit or adventure? My name is Tala Alanis, by the way. A Noble in the Queens employ."

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: November 16, 2011, 10:16:02 pm »

"Allrighty then, I'll go and take it up with him. Have a good day you two."

Head towards the sleeping area and try not to raise alarms or suspicion, count the hammocks/beds.

The ship appears to contain enough space for 200 men, of which only half seem used. Of course most of the crew is here [3] either sleeping or -not- sleeping. Life at sea can get lonely afterall. [5] No one notices you or, at least, no one cares you're wandering around.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: November 17, 2011, 12:27:35 am »

((Whoops, wrong thread. My bad.))
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:29:12 am by Araph »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: November 17, 2011, 12:36:04 am »

"Thank you, sir." With that dismissal, Ite bowed slightly and left the office. Now... now he wasn't sure what to do. Perhaps if he acquired a gun on his own, he could start working on designing a more easily produced version of it. Where would he find a example, though?

Ite begins searching for a gunsmith.

[5] You find the gunsmith at the port docks. He seems nervous.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: November 17, 2011, 04:26:58 am »

"No response, Ambassador."

"Fools. They're either asleep or have no watchers. Captain, pick up the caravan and the regiments....Then get us closer. I wish to cross over and speak with them."

Retyl will gather the caravan, and all the regiments, on the shore and bring the ship near enough the smuggling ship to cross it. Bring along some guards.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: November 17, 2011, 09:49:21 am »

((Sorry to post this late, I've been very busy this week))

Avitus entered Nikephoros' office a few hours after he was summoned.
"What did you want to see me about? Are the war preparations going on well?"

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:36 am »

"Out of curiosity, mostly. But, where are my manners? I am Lucius Grimewalde, a merchant from Nalin. It's across the sea. I spent last several days trying to find a good seller and I'm now sick every time I hear the word 'shipment'. This work is not bad, but it gives little time for leisure. And when this time comes, most of us find it difficult to stop thinking about it.".

He smiled, visibly amused.

"If I start babbling about markets and finances, just tell me to stop. Otherwise I could bore you to death."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:31 pm »

'Tala' already was bored. She wished they played music in this tavern. Her eyes cast forward.

"If you keep your talk of business to a minimum, I will spare you the details of my fashion choices, sir. Though, I think I am surely the most well dressed woman in all of Ligoria, barring the Queen herself.

*small laugh*

But, joking side-you are the man I am looking for, then. I have heard heard certain news you were looking for a business partner...as you can no doubt tell, I am a young woman with enough family funds to fritter away on every project that strikes her fancy, and hardly enough wisdom to know or care where it goes. You could offer to use my money to build a ship that swims under the ocean like a whale, and I would probably sign the cheque before you were finished speaking, most likely.

Simply put-you will want my help. Not only with funds, but acquiring business and opportunity in the kingdom. Perhaps even catching the eye of Queen Laythe. One day, you might find that you are no longer a simple merchant-and on that day, I will be there to help you and protect you.

In return...well, a merchant has his uses. I may need things delivered, for example-or people. Quickly and quietly. Nothing illegal mind you. Information you acquire that would be useful to me...finds it way to my ears, you know?

In short, I propose not only an alliance of business potential...but a friendship based on shared goals. I do hold the most fabulous parties you know. All I have to do is hand you an invitation, and within the night, everyone in Talama will know your name. An exciting thought, yes?"

'Tala' ran a hand through her long hair. She finished her drink in a single long sip.

"Well, before we continue-let us grab a seat and talk about our future together. I'd like to know more about you, and I'm sure you would like to know more about me."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:24:17 pm by Dwarmin »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: November 17, 2011, 07:14:21 pm »

Ite paused before posing the question, considering the best and most subtle way of approaching the situation. The dealing of arms wasn't illegal in Ligoria, but the topic was still one which undoubtedly would require tact and a persuasive demeanor. Yes, this problem was one which must be dealt with in a skillful way; not bringing undue attention to the dealer or causing unease in any other way, shape, or form. The social grace of a master diplomat is what's required here, and any lesser attempt may well fall flat.

Unfortunately, this is Ite who we're talking about.

"Great, you're an arms dealer? I need to buy a gun. How much would it cost to buy a gun?"
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 220