Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flood Trap Experimentation  (Read 909 times)

FluffyBinLaden

• Bay Watcher
  • Riddles in the Dark... Answers in the Light....
    • View Profile
Flood Trap Experimentation
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:40:38 am »

So, recently, I got tired of my Broker. The most USELESS Dwarf in the fortress, ever. Anyways, since I keep having Fun because I don't usually start my brewing industry until the second Spring, but can't buy booze from the traders because of Mr. Broker. (Run-On Sentence ftw) The fortress dies of dehydration after the ponds and rivers freeze, and I lose. Since I cannot control my broker, I have a new goal.

Take what I want, when I want it.

Goal: Kill the caravan without them getting angry.
How?: Flood Trap. They can't prove anything, and I get their stuff.

The way I've designed it, is that the caravan will go through an underground corridor, the entrance to which is a series of ramps going down into the depths of the Earth. They will then cross a drawbridge (Not retracted), and into a room with a hole in the top. That room will contain the trade depot. The caravan will then watch in horror as the bridge will raise, revealing a 5z deep pit. Water shall flow through the ceiling (Through the ceiling because otherwise there is a chance they can swim out), wash them and their goods into the pit, and drown. Then my dwarves shall drain the pit through a floodgate with grates around it (So items shall not go through), and collect their things.

Not sure anyone will understand that, and I can't draw or make schematics in the menu for-

Code: [Select]
!!CODE!!So I hope you can bear with me. But yeah, what do you think?
This is a signature. It has a five hundred character maximum. You may use pictures, which are not to exceed 80 pixels in height. I am wearing a hat.

Zerg for life. For the Swarm!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Flood Trap Experimentation
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:46:50 am »

you could select the trade depot, and press the appropriate letter to make so that anyone may trade instead of only the broker...
but it wouldn't be very dwarfy.
just be careful, it might not always go as expected...>.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:50:08 am »

Q + depot + x

Deconstruct the depot.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

FluffyBinLaden

• Bay Watcher
  • Riddles in the Dark... Answers in the Light....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:27:45 am »

Yeah, he never gets up from his bedroom, eating, or drinking his booze that he's gonna run out of soon. Even when I request him specifically.
Why would I deconstruct the Depot? Then the bait would be gone!
This is a signature. It has a five hundred character maximum. You may use pictures, which are not to exceed 80 pixels in height. I am wearing a hat.

Zerg for life. For the Swarm!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:35:51 am »

If you deconstruct it while the traders are there, you get to keep all their stuff and they won't get pissed at you.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:09:02 am »

Iirc, the wiki says that trading civilizations assume that anything that happens to their traders while they're on your map is your responsibility.  Them showing up and getting slaughtered by an ambush? Your fault.  They come offload their stuff and leave without bringing anything back with them? Now you've stolen every single bin of cave spider silk cloth from your parent civilization, you big jerk!

Or is this not true in the current version?

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:10 am »

Q + depot + x

Deconstruct the depot.

Flooding the depot is way more dwarfy and of course more FUN. And with flooding you can deal with the Elves appropriate ;D
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:48:28 am »

Q + depot + x

Deconstruct the depot.

Flooding the depot is way more dwarfy and of course more FUN. And with flooding you can deal with the Elves appropriate ;D
That's what Ballistas are for.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:14 am »

Lock them in, don't let them leave and when they go berserk cage them.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:04:55 am »

Merchant zoo?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:48:01 pm »

Exactly. Although recently my elven prisoners died unexpectedly. I thought they wouldn't starve so when I get around to it I'll do some science.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »

Iirc, the wiki says that trading civilizations assume that anything that happens to their traders while they're on your map is your responsibility.  Them showing up and getting slaughtered by an ambush? Your fault.  They come offload their stuff and leave without bringing anything back with them? Now you've stolen every single bin of cave spider silk cloth from your parent civilization, you big jerk!

Or is this not true in the current version?
I believe it's true, but current civs don't have the appropriate raws to go to war.  Elves have no diplomat, and humans have a mediocre one, and your parent civ never wars with you.  Possible, in theory, just no support for it.