Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: building materials opinion?  (Read 859 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
building materials opinion?
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:34:06 am »

about how many bars of rose gold should i have before i try to build an aboveground pyramid big enough to hold about 400 tombs of varying sizes?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: building materials opinion?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:34:20 am »

All of it.  You can never have too much rose gold.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:45 am »

A very simple calculation:

400 tombs..
minimum # walls per tomb : 7 (+1 door)
average shared wall per tomb with another tomb : 3

(8-3)*400 + a margin for connecting everything = atleast 2000?

My quess would come to 3000 blocks of rose gold? :p

got no idea if this makes sense, if it does.. well.. get a good book!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:54:36 am »

This is positively unhelpful information.

But, I'll make it easy:

Figure out how many levels you need, square each level separately and add them all together, skipping every odd number or every even number if you want to keep your pyramid symmetrical. (example: 3 levels would be (1^2 + 3^2 + 5^2) or (2^2 + 4^2 + 6^2).  Then add 5% for possible waste in construction when you get to the larger numbers.

The actual number used may be slightly smaller due to open spaces, but this should be close.

If your pyramid starts with one block at the top, use odd numbers.  If it has four, use even numbers.

Keep in mind, the even one is slightly larger for the same level of floors.

Regardless, you should stop considering this if you have under 15,000 bars because you begin to get very large numbers very quickly.  There's a REASON the great pyramids are considered a wonder of the world, and it's not because we can't build them now (we could...  who's paying?).
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:29:42 pm »

You don't have enough.  No serious, you don't.  I've made it a point to do above-ground forts, and it's tough, because building materials are a solid pain to get.  Sure, you might be able to build a regular wall out of solid gold blocks, but try and build a wall AND a fort?  AND a spire and barracks and dining hall and tomb?  You get into the hundreds of thousands of materials.  Even at basics, 400 tombs, assuming 3x3 each will get you something like ~2,000 blocks for a flat section of 200x2 tombs, each 1x1 size, not counting furniture or roof.

If you're importing, you can smelt and buy ~6.5 rose gold bars a year, probably more if you're trading the right way.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:42:43 pm »

As has been said above. I hope you have copper and gold native to your embark in large quantities, mainly gold. As the construction costs in material go up fast. If you're trading for it, you'll be building this tomb for a century or so.... though at least by that time you'll easily have 400+ bodies to shove in it. Anyways nice choice of material, can't go wrong with a lovely purple hehe.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:50:04 pm »

You don't have enough.  No serious, you don't.  I've made it a point to do above-ground forts, and it's tough, because building materials are a solid pain to get.  Sure, you might be able to build a regular wall out of solid gold blocks, but try and build a wall AND a fort?  AND a spire and barracks and dining hall and tomb?  You get into the hundreds of thousands of materials.  Even at basics, 400 tombs, assuming 3x3 each will get you something like ~2,000 blocks for a flat section of 200x2 tombs, each 1x1 size, not counting furniture or roof.

If you're importing, you can smelt and buy ~6.5 rose gold bars a year, probably more if you're trading the right way.

so far, im sitting on about 700, so im well on my way, but nowhere close yet.
and yes, there are LOTS of gold and copper veins on this map (No iron, but plenty of gold and copper) so i dont see myself running out anytime soon.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 01:56:09 pm »

I was building an above-ground castle out of green glass blocks. I ended up with over 20,000 blocks for just five levels. So, 700 units isn't very much sadly.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »

A rather small 21x21 tower consumes a fairly large 441 units of building material before furniture, so that's not even 2 levels of a small tower.

Get more smelters running!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:08 pm »

Odd-numbers (comes to a 1x1 point) pyramid.
ASSUME: A "tomb" consists of a floor with a coffin on it.  to conserve materials, no walls are used, each level of the pyramid is simply filled with coffins.
ASSUME: This pyramid will be beautifully smooth-sided.  What's the point otherwise?  (its also easier to build, but takes more materials)
NOTE: as "level" goes up, we're actually going down the pyramid.  Level 1 is the top point (a single upward ramp)
NOTE: Total rose gold used assumes that all constructions (and the door or doors on the bottom level) are rose gold.  With furniture assumes the tombs are rose gold sarcophagi.

LEVEL 1
Dimensions: 1x1
Construction: Rose Gold Ramp
Tombs(total): 0(0)
Total Rose Gold Used (with furniture): 1(1)

LEVEL 2
Dimensions: 3x3
Construction: one Wall, eight Raps
Total Rose Gold Used (with furniture): 10(10)

LEVEL 3
Dimensions: 5x5
Construction: 16 Ramps, 8 Walls, 1 floor/wall/down stair
Total Rose Gold Used (with furniture): 35(35)

LEVEL 4
Dimensions: 7x7
Construction: 24 Ramps, 16 Walls, 1 Down stair/up-down stair, 8 Floors
Tombs(total): 8(8)
Total Rose Gold Used (with furniture): 84(92)

LEVEL 5
Dimensions 9x9
Construction: 32 Ramps, 24 Walls, 24 floors, 1 stair
Tombs (total): 24 (32)
Total Rose Gold Used (With Furniture): 165(197)

LEVEL 6
Dimensions: 11x11
Construction: 40 Ramps, 32 walls, 48 floors, 1 stair
Tombs (total): 48 (80)
Total Rose Gold Used (With Furniture): 286(366)

LEVEL 7
Dimensions: 13x13
Construction: 48 Ramps, 40 walls, 80 floors, 1 stair
Tombs (total): 80 (160)
Total Rose Gold Used (With Furniture): 455(615)

LEVEL 8
Dimensions: 15x15
Construction: 56 Ramps, 48 walls, 120 floors, 1 stair
Tombs (total): 120 (280)
Total Rose Gold Used (With Furniture): 680(960)

LEVEL 9
Dimensions: 17x17
Construction: 64 ramps, 56-X walls, X Doors, 224 floors, 1 stair,
Tombs (total): 224 (504) -- GOAL MET
Total Rose Gold Used (With Furniture):  904 (1,408)

So, to build a smooth-sided solid rose gold pyramid with room for 400 coffins, it will take 904 rose gold, assuming you pave the bottom level with floors rather than letting it sit on dirt.  You will actually have room for 504 coffins, allowing you to place some statues or paths, or otherwise have a little fun..  If you also make the coffins out of rose gold, you will need 1,408 to get your full 540 coffin compliment, a mere 1,304 if you simply make 400 and leave all other spaces blank rather than filled with ☼Rose Gold Statues☼.  From base to tip it will be 9z tall.

Good luck.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 02:52:20 pm »

That's assuming a coffin on the floor.  If it's a "tomb" and has its own room(s) dedicated, then it's substantially larger.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:28 pm »

I wouldn't doubt you if you said orders of magnitude larger in that case, or that it couldn't be built on the surface with an ordinary sky, but I was giving the best case scenario.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »

"default" is 10, but worldgen lets you put the sky at 100.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41:45 pm »

"default" is 10, but worldgen lets you put the sky at 100.

I've had it not always work, though, where there are Z levels up to 100 above highest land but you can only build to like 20.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.