Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C'mon girl, you can do it! Can't you?  (Read 2407 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
C'mon girl, you can do it! Can't you?
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:23 pm »

so ive had a cave croc sitting on her nest box for almost 2 years now.
she hasnt moved an inch since laying her eggs.

does it take THIS long for croc eggs to hatch?

or did i do something wrong?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: C'mon girl, you can do it! Can't you?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:01 pm »

Do you have any male cave crocodiles on the map anywhere?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:28 pm »

Maybe it's dead.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:56 pm »

How is babby formed?  What need male 4?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:12 pm »

Do you have any male cave crocodiles on the map anywhere?
no, but this has never stopped one of my crocs from propagating before.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:28:06 pm »

lulz
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:34:54 pm »

My giant eagles have been doing the exact same thing.  I even modded the [PET_EXOTIC] tag to [PET] as a work around, but it seems eagles bought from filthy elves come pre-neutered and spayed. 

On the other hand, I probably have 3-4 dozen grizzly bears by this point.  I'd probably have just as many Giant Badgers, but the Sow I captured at the start of the fort seems to have died and I cant be assed to let the elves in again.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »

lulz
I think babby made by wrestling. Male 4 better wrestling.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:17:25 am »

I've noticed sometimes eggs just won't hatch, even if you've done everything right.  Best thing to do is to have a dwarf take those eggs, cook them, and have the croc lay a new batch.  If it does it again.. try it again.  If it does it AGAIN.. you got yourself some seriously sad crocs.  :(
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:01:53 am »

Are you sure you didn't mod it to [Pet_Welfare Mama]?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:10 am »

I'm under the impression that it might involve a little bug?

With a certain fortress I've decided to use a lot of birds for their eggs and all of that. (not smart with fps in mind)

My first nest boxes were outside of the fortress and I sometimes order everyone (inc. birds) to get inside.
Before this order some birds were on the nest boxes with forbidden eggs (so they wont collect it before hatching).

When I cancel the burrow order, the birds go back to their boxes, but the eggs never ever seem to hatch after that. (having other later eggs hatch already of the same race)

It seems like if a bird leaves the nest box after laying (fertilized) eggs, it might never hatch.

Pretty sure all the eggs got fertilized, plenty of males!.. Incest no problem, the extra legs provide more food anyhow

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:58:55 am »

As far as I can tell, that's the intended behavior.  An egg will only hatch if there was a male around when it was laid, if it stays in the nest box for the entire gestation period, and if the bird that laid it sits on the nest box continuously for the entire gestation period.  If the mother leaves the nest, the eggs die, and won't hatch even if she comes back and sits on them again.  And sometimes eggs simply don't hatch anyway even if you do anything right.  Annoyingly, there's no way to tell if a particular batch of eggs is still viable.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.