Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sad endings for Married dwarfs  (Read 2238 times)

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sad endings for Married dwarfs
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:38:05 pm »

Lor Lecadlogem(female) and Iton Lancebraided(male) were my first military dwarfs and became legendary all through sparring(bar a 3-5 second stint in a danger room... giant badgers...) after the military was up to 7 and all became masters i decided to check if they had friends. None did but Lor and Iton were married. Probably 1,014-1,1017 began the end of a large group of dwarves. A forgotten beast appeared from the second cavern layer and somehow got there undetected to the upper layer of my mines (I had opened to end a forgotten beast with deadly spittle funny i sent a sword dwarf to end it but a Miner became part of the fight he just went all jedi and deflected the deadly spittle).

But... i forgot to close it up and a Diametrodon appeared i sent down the previous swords dwarf but then i watched in horror after i returned to the scene... there was two diametrodons... one with Deadly Gas. Reluctantly i sent Lor down and another forgetting to send Iton. Lor cleaved the beasts in two(she has a 4 forgotten beast kill count all cleaved in half) but... then i saw the disease appear... Blisters all over the body. Lor was luckily treated and survived apparently she lost her upper lip as well as the small matter of her being blind. I did not retire her... she deserved a honorable death in battle.

The other two died from arrows to the skull. Lor was fighting a lasher alone in her steel armor i had iton rush to help her. Then... the lasher hit her in the head and she died. Iton was but 2 steps away. Iton then hacked the goblin in half... the goblin was surprised by his Ferocious onslaught. Iton then preceeded to become Militia Commander in her stead. He then proceeded to kill the Master of the Goblin Civilization the Panther Bruter Ciba the Thundering Boulder. I then ended the fort in a wave of demons Iton died close to her tomb an adamantine tomb with an Engraved slab put for her. Along with his Own tomb side by side.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:43:54 pm by Kromgar »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sad endings for Married dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:42:02 pm »

... Lor was luckily treated and survived apparently she lost her upper lip....

I think this sums up the entire story.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »

You clearly have no idea how dwarves think.  To die?  TO DIE?!  There is no higher pleasure.  The only extra joy comes from the method of death.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »

You clearly have no idea how dwarves think.  To die?  TO DIE?!  There is no higher pleasure.  The only extra joy comes from the method of death.
Thats why i said honor of death in battle... the most dwarfy death.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »

I'm beginning to wonder if military dwarves (or dwarves in general) are coded to attempt to avenge their loved ones, having seen similar behavior to the ending here myself, only with less bisection and more savage multi-page beatings (bone crossbows -- can't rightly remember if cat or dog -- will do that).  As wonderfully tragic as this story is, it yet provokes me to desire dwarf-killing ‼Science‼
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:48:22 pm »

I might suggest goblins.  I hear more about goblin rage than, say, badger rage.  Might have something to do with the intelligence of the killer.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:56:22 pm »

I'm beginning to wonder if military dwarves (or dwarves in general) are coded to attempt to avenge their loved ones, having seen similar behavior to the ending here myself, only with less bisection and more savage multi-page beatings (bone crossbows -- can't rightly remember if cat or dog -- will do that).  As wonderfully tragic as this story is, it yet provokes me to desire dwarf-killing ‼Science‼
Iton seemed to only use steel even though he could use adamantine armor(I never forced it on him the other steel dwarfs went adamantine by choice)
He tended to go for the head as well when he killed goblins. Almost as if avenging Lors brain spattering death.

He ended Ciba through sheer force of will considering all his attacks deflected(due to being decked in leather armor and a ton of crowns and earrings) accept for one... an attack to the head. It made a major gash and she bled out. She was just bruised and had the cut. Iton was a hero possibly motivated by pure boiling rage. He was covered in Demon Goo. Oh and it was one on one combat.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:58:51 pm by Kromgar »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:24:20 pm »

Thats why i said honor of death in battle... the most dwarfy death.
If said battle involves magma, it is.

for the !

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:38:09 pm »

I...I'm not sure what ╥ is?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 08:38:25 pm »

Hm...  if rage and mourning produce an unstoppable combat-state, the ability to weaponize spousal death would seem to be useful.  But first, we must confirm conditions

the first step would seem to be to create a party fort to encourage large numbers of lovers and marriages, while defending the fort with cage traps.  Danger-room everyone to equal skills, while stockpiling captured goblins  You won't be able to perfectly equalize stats, but a large sample size will help.  The ranged goblins and non-goblin captures would foul the experiment, so use them for training or just pit them to recover the cage.

Build two rooms, a "sample" room and a "control" room.  each one is 11x11, bisected into two 5x11 spaces: the control room uses walls with a lever-linked door, while the sample room uses vertical bars, one set linked to a lever in the same place as the door.

Station one member of a spouse pair on one side, the other in the opposite half of the room.  Let goblins into one half of the room, to fight a single member of the pair without interference from the other, until the first member of the couple is slain, then open the door or bars that separate the two halves, and permit the spouse to fight the killer and a similar stream of goblins until also slain.

Compare the kills of the first spouse to the kills of the second in number and quality, and compare the systematic difference (if any) between spouses that were able to see their partner killed and those that were not allowed to witness the event.  It may also be prudent to test the same setup with dwarves who do not know each other, to see if it is simply military witnessing death that causes outstanding feats, if in fact outstanding feats happen.

One thing is certain... using danger rooms to equalize skill differences means we will need a LOT of melee goblins

Edit: It's supposed to be a throne, I'm pretty sure.  Magma for the magma throne.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:41:44 pm by Tevish Szat »

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »

I...I'm not sure what ╥ is?
I think it's bacon for the bacon table.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »

Hm...  if rage and mourning produce an unstoppable combat-state, the ability to weaponize spousal death would seem to be useful.  But first, we must confirm conditions

the first step would seem to be to create a party fort to encourage large numbers of lovers and marriages, while defending the fort with cage traps.  Danger-room everyone to equal skills, while stockpiling captured goblins  You won't be able to perfectly equalize stats, but a large sample size will help.  The ranged goblins and non-goblin captures would foul the experiment, so use them for training or just pit them to recover the cage.

Build two rooms, a "sample" room and a "control" room.  each one is 11x11, bisected into two 5x11 spaces: the control room uses walls with a lever-linked door, while the sample room uses vertical bars, one set linked to a lever in the same place as the door.

Station one member of a spouse pair on one side, the other in the opposite half of the room.  Let goblins into one half of the room, to fight a single member of the pair without interference from the other, until the first member of the couple is slain, then open the door or bars that separate the two halves, and permit the spouse to fight the killer and a similar stream of goblins until also slain.

Compare the kills of the first spouse to the kills of the second in number and quality, and compare the systematic difference (if any) between spouses that were able to see their partner killed and those that were not allowed to witness the event.  It may also be prudent to test the same setup with dwarves who do not know each other, to see if it is simply military witnessing death that causes outstanding feats, if in fact outstanding feats happen.

One thing is certain... using danger rooms to equalize skill differences means we will need a LOT of melee goblins

Edit: It's a throne.  Magma for the magma throne.
Or... Runesmith and make all their stats the same?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »

I... suppose that would work.  I don't use side-programs (Well, I've used overseer), so I don't tend to think of them.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:05 pm »

I... suppose that would work.  I don't use side-programs (Well, I've used overseer), so I don't tend to think of them.
I use it to check stats. But i know you could use it to equalize everyone.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:28 pm »

Runesmith can be used to view and set attributes and skill levels.  Used it myself when testing attribute training rates.
Pages: [1] 2