Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: After much pondering, I have come to one conclusion:  (Read 41097 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: After much pondering, I have come to one conclusion:
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2011, 10:02:57 pm »

Every generation to ever exist talks about the decline of society; it even dates back to ancient greek times. There is graffiti which goes along the lines of 'Kids these days are out of control, yadda yadda yadda'...

However society is doing the opposite; standards of living are increasing every year. Life is getting better, not worse. You think politics is bad now? Go back to medieval times; where stupid decisions were made on a whim by a singe person, and foreign relations were either "You friend, club enemy." or "You enemy, me club you."

We're still on topic right?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:29 pm »

Every generation to ever exist talks about the decline of society; it even dates back to ancient greek times. There is graffiti which goes along the lines of 'Kids these days are out of control, yadda yadda yadda'...

However society is doing the opposite; standards of living are increasing every year. Life is getting better, not worse. You think politics is bad now? Go back to medieval times; where stupid decisions were made on a whim by a singe person, and foreign relations were either "You friend, club enemy." or "You enemy, me club you."

Yep, Humans are even becoming much more compassionate in general.

And, in this thread, i fear there is no longer such a thing as "on topic".

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure any topic is so long dead that it's crumbled to dust and blown away in the wind

Somehow, all this talk of the fate of humanity makes me remember just how scarily accurate Dwarf Fortress can be sometimes.  If we're going down, DF would seem to predict the ultimate cause of our demise to either be a mad, burning god-emperor, digging too deep, or something to do with socks, carp, and a good old fashioned tantrum spiral.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2011, 10:10:20 pm »

1. Standards of living are increasing due to technology, not society. Technology shall increase forevermore, regardless of how pathetic humanity is. The medieval ages were run by the church, and I'm going to avoid an atheist rant. Society may have never been good, but I like the old-fashioned fistfight that solves everything. Now it's a damn lawsuit for biting your nails.

2. There was a topic?

Yep, Humans are even becoming much more compassionate in general.
Compassion and how good society is are two different things to me. Everyone's too soft nowadays  :P

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2011, 10:12:39 pm »

Obviously, politics and society in general would be greatly improved with Necro910 in charge.  After all, magma solves everything.  :)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:34 pm »

Obviously, politics and society in general would be greatly improved with Necro910 in charge.  After all, magma solves everything.  :)
Necro910 for prez!

Or I'll bake cupcakes!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »

Too soft
Compassion and how good society is are two different things to me. Everyone's too soft nowadays  :P

If you think people are getting too soft, you simply haven't looked hard enough, my friend.  Humanity has the capability to explore space, yet there are still people being killed over stone age bullshit.

If violence solved problems, Our race would be in much better shape by now. It seems to simply postpone/suppress them for a while.

Although we could definitely use more magma in our everyday life....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:40 pm »

Somehow, all this talk of the fate of humanity makes me remember just how scarily accurate Dwarf Fortress can be sometimes.  If we're going down, DF would seem to predict the ultimate cause of our demise to either be a mad, burning god-emperor, digging too deep, or something to do with socks, carp, and a good old fashioned tantrum spiral.
Cats will destroy the world.

Either that, or we're all going to work ourselves to death trying to build a solid gold phallus that spews magma to the moon.  I would gladly be the first to die of exhaustion pushing boulders for such a cause~

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2011, 10:31:18 pm »

Cats will destroy the world.

Either that, or we're all going to work ourselves to death trying to build a solid gold phallus that spews magma to the moon.  I would gladly be the first to die of exhaustion pushing boulders for such a cause~

Then, should any alien race come to visit the remains of our ruined civilization, they shall gaze in awe, and think, "man, these guys must have really been dicks".

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2011, 10:34:34 pm »

Thread's still on-topic, sorta. Necro and Magma are still involved.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:13 pm »

I'm here too D:

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:53 pm »

'Xactly.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »

Normally the whole "human extinction" thing would be hurting my mood, but you know what?  Pretty good meal recently.

Plus, we have Necro, Girlinhat, and Magma.  That's got to generate a good thought somehow.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2011, 10:47:00 pm »

Mitch is ecstatic. He was comforted by a lovely magma mist recently. He adopted a new pet phallus. He witnessed the death of sanity recently. He was forced to endure the decay of sanity. He slept uneasily due to lurking awesome forums lately.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:34 pm »

I actually find it odd how humanity tends to look so peace-loving, while in truth I find killing one another a basic feature of our race. Places like the UN were originally founded to maintain world peace, a goal that was doomed from the start.

Yeah! Whatever happened to natural selection?

Like Nagasaki and Hiroshima?

Nagasaki and Hiroshima were... testruns. Times like the Cold War were where the chances really were.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17