Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: After much pondering, I have come to one conclusion:  (Read 41024 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: After much pondering, I have come to one conclusion:
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »

I'm sorry, but my Linear mind states to me that Time magazine has been lying to me for the past TEN years, and PROBABLY won't stop in the NEXT ten years.
Time magazine just happened to be the most well known source that I had that ran a whole article on the whole trend idea instead of just invoking parts to support whatever particular aspect of the trend the were talking about. As I said before I do have other sources that I can pull up if you really want me to.
I'd be happy to have those sources. Just not those bastards. They're like worshiped Nobles; we SHOULD be dousing them in Magma, but it would cause a tantrum spiral.

Here are a handful of them. Note that several don't necessarily speak of the trend directly, but just draw upon certain aspects of it.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/singularity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity#External_links
http://hplusmagazine.com/2011/07/26/hear-that-its-the-singularity-coming/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law
http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/16-04/ff_kurzweil?currentPage=all

You can also find tons more articles on the process on both the hplusmagazine website and the ieee website, as well as just going to google and typing in any combination of the words "singularity", "immortality", "accelerating returns", or "information doubling".
The AI Singularity is nigh! All bow before The Great Machine!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:20 pm »

Yeah up until some guy tries to run DF on it and the whole thing melts into a giant pile of goop due to the processing power required. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2011, 08:13:01 pm »

Yeah up until some guy tries to run DF on it and the whole thing melts into a giant pile of goop due to the processing power required. :P
"Hey, we've invented a supercomputer capable of running everything in the world!"
"Let's run Dwarf Fortress on it!"
*Two hours later*
"Crap, we've got HFS spilling in, a siege invading, and all of our 200 Dwarves hiding in seclusion from both of us! On top of that, there's an army of Badgers outside, and at least 30 waterfalls running!"
"We'll be fine, it's a-" Crash "-Super..Computer."
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2011, 08:30:00 pm »

"Hey, we've invented a supercomputer capable of running everything in the world!"
"Let's run Dwarf Fortress on it!"
*Two hours later*
"Crap, we've got HFS spilling in, a siege invading, and all of our 200 Dwarves hiding in seclusion from both of us! On top of that, there's an army of Badgers outside, and at least 30 waterfalls running!"
"We'll be fine, it's a-" Crash "-Super..Computer."
I think of the software Singularity, not the hardware one  ;)

See: GLaDOS

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2011, 09:12:18 pm »

Or Skynet, I guess.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2011, 09:32:07 pm »

Or Skynet, I guess.
That too.

There is no possible law set where the computer will not end up going SkyNet or some such. For default Asimov laws, see iRobot movie.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »

I'd prefer the main droid.
Please, let's not have Robot Communism.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2011, 10:16:13 pm »

My favorite would be if the robots took over the world in such a way that they do EVERYTHING and humans are "forced" to sit around all day indulging in awesome stuff.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 01, 2011, 12:37:33 am »

My favorite would be if the robots took over the world in such a way that they do EVERYTHING and humans are "forced" to sit around all day indulging in awesome stuff.
Dwarf Fortress time  8)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 01, 2011, 12:45:25 am »

My god..
..What if we linked EVERY computer-system in the world to an Android..
..And then made all of their software compatible with one-another..
..We could use Dwarf-Fortress coding to build ANYTHING!!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 01, 2011, 12:46:19 am »

Dwarf Fortress time  8)
Lucky for us, DF is too complex for robots to play...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2011, 12:48:44 am »

Dwarf Fortress time  8)
No, I mean we'd have absolutely nothing better to do, so we would all end up building megaprojects.

Like when we get too good at DF, we start doing ludicrous shenanigans.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 01, 2011, 12:50:46 am »

I do that.
I play with the hardest possible Fortress/Genesis Mod combo, and then state I can't use any form of trap or magma-solution, except for the purpose of creating metal.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 01, 2011, 01:07:29 am »

Dwarf Fortress time  8)
No, I mean we'd have absolutely nothing better to do, so we would all end up building megaprojects.

Like when we get too good at DF, we start doing ludicrous shenanigans.
What I meant was, even if the robots wanted to do EVERYTHING, they would have to exclude DF from EVERYTHING.

Okay, okay, not a very good joke...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2011, 02:23:45 am »

Aw hell, the one time i stop monitoring this thread like a stalker.... Alright, alright, no worries, i like writing anyway. Responding primarily to Endiqua should answer a lot of questions.

Lets get this sorted out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As i have stated before, this was the idea in a very basic form. It's not like i woke up the other day and said "Know what would be neat? Devoting my life to the betterment of all humanity". Of course i have thought much of it out. As i also said before, i don't have every detail worked out. There will likely be challenges i haven't yet thought of, think of it as a work in progress.

If you would like to know something specific, feel free to ask. But seriously dude, i'm not going to write a books worth of text completely explaining my ideas for a new world in a single post, on a forum about virtual dwarves.

If all goes well, monetary systems in general will be phased out. Necessities would be provided to all, with the combined efforts of the collective working to ensure they are distributed to everyone within it. With money eliminated, and no longer being in control of production, tyrants and corporations lose much of their control and power, should people choose to no longer be controlled, that is.

We can both agree, there are FAR more people on medication than there truly needs to be. I'm not against medical advancement, and if a person sincerely needs medication to deal with some illness or whatnot, until there are other, better treatments, it will suffice.

I don't expect everyone to always agree on everything, diversity is one of the greatest thing about humanity. What i expect, is for people to be able to work through these differences without stabbing each other in the face. To be able to use their varying opinions to come to the best overall solution, the ability to do so would be a large part of being considered an intellectual. The ability to do this also does not require a person of authority to say "this is how it's gonna go, no more questions."

Also, i generally use the word intellectual referring to people who are able to reason, and think for themselves, who can discuss even controversial subjects with an open mind among others in a civilized manner, who aren't brainwashed and broken by all the crap around them. It's not going to be "you need an I.Q. of xxx, or you're exiled".

Of course i don't consider myself to be the creator of these concepts, that's the very annoying part about it. They have been around for ages, yet they're still not as supported as they should be. I may not the one one who created them, but i will be the one who does all in his power to bring them into fruition.

Once again, no one will be forced into this system. It will be for the intellectuals who choose to participate. Anyone who is afraid of this change can gladly hang on to the old systems. It is about giving the option to go against these systems, instead of having to be stuck in them because "that's just the way it is". If people, are confused or skeptic, they will gladly be welcomed to come learn more about the way things work. If they don't like it, no problem. No one will force you to stay. If you end up preferring it, then stick around.
Think of it sort of as gathering those who desire a better world into one large group,able to collectively support and protect each other, instead of being scattered across the earth, where the total impact they can make is limited.

Obviously this will not be like Nazi Germany, or the KKK, as there will be no intention to harm those who dislike the way things work. They will simply be excluded to a place where they can live life the way they wish.

If i failed to respond to any points you made, or misunderstood something, be sure to tell me. I've had a long, tiring day, and i'm probably not in my most aware state, at the moment.

Seeing as i missed most of the technology discussion, i'll just say this:

I will only consider technology truly superior humanity once it has the ability to create things greater than itself by it's own accord. Despite the fact that humans are always making their own natural abilities obsolete, everything a machine can do, can only do so because humans created it to.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:25:22 am by King DZA »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17