Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: How to Make a Bad Video Game  (Read 7325 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make a Bad Video Game
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 11:53:50 am »

I remember pondering about bad video games in the past.

The best way to begin, is to take a series : like Baldur's Gate : and release a sequel that is completely unrelated gender-wise. Baldur's Gate  : The Boat Racing Simulator.

The game has to have as many complex, unimportant attributes as possible. Because while everyone likes to have some variety in skills (Axe skill, Sword skill and so on) i doubt anyone would enjoy having a "Left hand fork usage" ranked from 1 to 100.
Also gear has to be overcly complicated. Everyone likes to have a choice between m4 and ak47, but what if we add 29 versions of the ak47?

Next we have injuries. Different hit zones are these days a requirement, but what if we went a step further? Who wouldn't want to play an fps with notifications like : "Fractured left index finger, penalty to fork skill"

This will never happen. They actually take things like that out of games. Take The Elder Scrolls series for example. Less skills, less armor, less quests...

I like more content actually.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 04:56:36 pm »

ITT:  blogger who writes for a medieval hack & slash game criticizes other writers for coming up with characters and plotlines that appeal to their respective target audiences.

<snip>
Yes, thank you. That (kind of) was my problem too. It's far to easier to write a "how not to make a game" blog then a "how to make a good game" blog. Bonus points for pointing at a random game and going "This. This is how not to make a game." (He doesn't quite do that, but I can't shake the feeling that most posts are dedicated to a specific game or 2)

As the person who made this thread, I feel I have a bit of responsibility to address this on the behalf of the writer.

I'm quite sure that the author could write a blog about how to make good games, and as you've said, it will probably be considerably harder to write about than the present material. However, there's a plethora of writing on that subject already, and most importantly it wouldn't be very funny. To put it explicitly, funny is the operative word here; I don't think the author actually intends this to be advice people should follow, or to change opinions on this subject. He's simply pointing out the situations that perpetuate themselves in the gaming industry which he and others thinks are silly for a laugh.

You might not find his writing funny- this is fine; humor is quite varied from person to person. If you're criticizing his intention, I hope I've been able to shed some light on that.

Edit: Forgot my cat.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:08:57 pm by Flare »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 05:00:28 pm »

Or in other words: Some folk take this stuff too seriously. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2011, 08:05:12 am »

Video games are SERIOUS BUSINESS!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 08:31:49 am »

Video games are SERIOUS BUSINESS!

There is fun to be had in taking things seriously.

While there are some people who play videogames and couldn't care less what they were playing.

Others take it seriously and garder much enjoyment in absorbing every feature. This of course means bad games are even MORE bad.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

Oh boss, I'm all about -bad games-, so taking these.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2011, 09:08:04 am »

Oh boss, I'm all about -bad games-, so taking these.

It is kind of hard to think of bad games that are fun because they are bad. The largest barrier is usually that bad games tend to be boring or unplayable.

Not that I can't think of a few that are hillariously bad but not bad enough to make them unplayable.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2011, 09:14:40 am »

Well, over-the-top-bad-stereotype-characters/games can be funny. Duke Nukem 3D was such a game (bad character design, gratuitous sexy girls, and no seriousness whatsoever).

Anyway, I meant it (see siglink), I really will be taking some of those tips. I now plan on having one entire dialogue done with ellipses, and maybe an exclamation or question mark or two.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2011, 09:19:39 am »

Well, over-the-top-bad-stereotype-characters/games can be funny. Duke Nukem 3D was such a game (bad character design, gratuitous sexy girls, and no seriousness whatsoever).

I wouldn't ever say Duke Nukem 3d was "bad" though. Its level design was excellent and while Duke was supposed to be cheesy.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:36 am »

Yes but, like the blog, the characters (multiple only if you count the strippers and aliens as characters) and story did follow the "bad" standards, hilariously.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:46 am »

That's the entire point of a game like that: make it so bad it's good.
Nothing important here, move along.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »

Which is entirely different from making something bad because you're too cheap/lazy/unimaginative to make something decent.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2011, 03:38:10 pm »

I don't know.

It had strippers, bad lines (mind you at the time, they were pretty snappy), and a paper thin plot but that only went on to reinforce how awsome the game actually was.

I mean by what means was it a game that was "so bad its good"? It seems like a game that was a "Parody" then trying to envoke "Bad"

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:05 pm »

“[...]A good game doesn’t need any plot or characters. Case in point: Chess. Unless you want to consider the pieces characters, that is.

It doesn’t help that the writer is an obvious-as-day feminist with a bleeding vagina and a holy agenda.”

:o

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2011, 04:12:46 pm »

I don't know.

It had strippers, bad lines (mind you at the time, they were pretty snappy), and a paper thin plot but that only went on to reinforce how awsome the game actually was.

I mean by what means was it a game that was "so bad its good"? It seems like a game that was a "Parody" then trying to envoke "Bad"

The general idea of a parody is to play up all the bad parts of something so heavily that it becomes good (as well as using this to satirize the medium), therein invoking "so bad it's good."
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6