Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game. Revised! -1-  (Read 5319 times)

RabbidHare

• Bay Watcher
  • .!..!DisgaeaFTW!..!.
    • View Profile
Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game. Revised! -1-
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:33:44 am »

SO!
Way-back-when, there used to be a fourm game called Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game. Unfortunately, the people running it kept running out of time to do so, thus the games kept dying out. -I- will try my best to stay active and keep the game running. And I believe I will be able to.
Before I begin, I would like to state for old vets of the game, that I am modifying how the game works to an extent. I "think" it could make the game more fun and/or interactive for both me, and others. We'll see.

The Pitch
The premise of the game is this, a player takes control of either a species on a developing planet, OR as a god.
Now before you jump right in, saying I wanna play a god! I wanna play a god! Just remember, playing a god can sometimes be harder/more boring than playing a species, though it can be the other way 'round as well! (You'll see what I mean soon).
The species' job is to evolve past a primitive life form into something more advanced by using Evolution points. (EP). You could aim to make your species into a wild creature, with many physical functions superior to the other races. On the other hand, you could try to develop sentience, fire, even machinery! Of course, you might want to make an evolutionary "split". You know how chimps, gorillas and (if you don't believe in this last part, well, that's up to you) humans are all related, albeit distantly? Well.. That's what an evolutionary split does.. It "splits" a species into two different.. Well.. Species!
As a god on the other hand, you influence the world a little more indirectly. You could fuel a races evolution, create disasters and influence the environment! You will probably end up in contest with the other deities, since your power comes from the worship of creatures.

The Crunch!
The Species:
Every species is a combination of Breeding Rate, Biological Traits, Civil Traits, and Special Traits.  Every trait has a Level between 1 and 50.  Increasing any individual ability or trait costs Evolution Points (EP) – from 1 to 10 costs one EP per level, from 11 to 20 costs two EP per level, three EP for 21-30, four for 31-40, and five for 41-50.  There is no list of traits that every species must have or anything like that – make up what you'd like to see, and I'll find a way to make it fit.  Bear in mind the 1-50 rating, spending one point at a time won't make your species really effective. Taken and modified from Evolution -3-

• A general description of the Species is a great place to start.  What they look like, act like, living conditions, any general points.  This will be expanded over time as the species changes and grows.
  • Breeding Ability is what it says.  A species' population growth is determined by (besides outside factors) a Litter Size, Breeding Age, and Death Age.  By default, a species will have a Litter of 1, Breeds at 10, and Dies around 20.  Increasing Breeding Rate costs EP, but to account for the myriad breeding schemes nature can create, just describe a biology and general breeding ability and I'll come up with the numbers and cost.
  • Biological Traits make up the Species' actual physique and abilities.  By default, a species is a formless blob of no determinate size (consider a creature's size subsumed under other traits) capable of moving, perceiving it's environment, self-sustained survival, and little else.  Build thyself, and nothing is too far beyond reason.
  • Civil Traits include anything that isn't paranormal or biological, especially technologies – everything from construction to adaptations to sciences to governance to any conceivable tool or concept, including any kind of civilized organization beyond basic pack-like structures.  Pick up a Civilization game if you need ideas.  Progression must have a logic – it need not be Earthlike or even realistic, but always have a justification. Also: don't feel pressured to become civilized at all – wild monster species are great
  • Special Traits are anything else, especially paranormal stuff – Psychic powers already being quite popular.  Religious powers would fall under this as well – not the organization of a religion, but the actual ability to contact and influence the Gods.  Again, don't feel obligated, mundanes are always welcome.To be honest, I would prefer for there to be as few special traits as possible, because of this, I would like anyone who wants to use a special trait to pm the gm (me) for permission

The Fickle Dice:
Every turn, I'll roll d100's to determine the effects of the various turn events and attempts by the player at doing things.  Traits add to this roll as appropriate, as does Godly favor (disfavor does what you'd expect).  EP points are awarded (or subtracted) based on the results, along with population growth, resources, new events, and so forth.

The Gods:
Gods don't have to do much besides exists, but Godly players should feel free to post whatever suggestions and guidance you want.  Rules are pretty freeform – Describe the God's manifestations, story, and desires.  Pick one Major Sphere and two Minor Spheres (DF's spheres are a good inspiration) – nothing too broad like 'Death' or 'Creation', but 'Pestilence' or 'Birth' would be acceptable.  A God can perform as many actions per turn as they wish, expending Power Points (PP) to kick their chosen ones along the path they set(provided they HAVE the necessary PP).  Gods are empowered by worship – every 10000 active worshipers generate one PP per turn.  There will be more rules below as they're created.

The Planet
The planet is huge, with many species already existing and having evolved upon it. The species the players control are merely the more major ones. (This means, of course, that carnivors CAN survive, even when not near another species. BUT, them being around the other species will A: help make the other species weaker, and B: Probably be more nutritious to your little piranhas!
Please know, the current game area is NOT the whole planet, but a portion of it. I may make more as the game progresses though.

Players:
All species start with 50 EP. Gaining 5 per turn. I know that 5 is almost nothing, but the whole point of the game is to get your species out there, so that they can EARN ep. (I will award it to you when I see fit, not putting up a particular system. I intend to be fair about it though.)
All gods start with 5 PP, gaining 1 each turn. Again, stuff must get done for you to earn PP. As said above though, for every 10000 worshipers you have, you gain another 1 PP per turn. Hoorah?

The GM
I, the GM, will be controlling "Gaia". The planet. I don't control any species or get any worshipers, instead, I work out how the environment changes over time. For example, if there is a huge group of herbivours  squatting in a "grass" hex for a while, I may choose to change it to a desert hex. I might shifts the continents a bit, or create a natural disaster. Gods can also give blessings and natural disasters, but I will have to show how it effects the map. So, even though I am not playing, I am still having quite a large role in all this.  8)(yay me)

How to get approved?
PM me your god or species. OR post it here in this thread, when accepted, you'll get put into one of the two posts below, and be informed that you may begin.

If you feel I have left something out, please pm me, or leave a post in this thread. Thanks!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

RabbidHare

• Bay Watcher
  • .!..!DisgaeaFTW!..!.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game. Revised! -1-
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:16 am »

For The Species!

Species Format...

Species:(Human (Plural: Humans Adjective:(Human [It is a human crossbow])

Description: A pink skinned species which stands on two legs, and has two arms which hand at their sides when not in use. Upon their heads is a mop of hair, and their chins a bears. (this is a VERY basic one. if you can add more than this to your own species, I applaud you.)

Diet: (Herbivore? Carnivore? Omnivore? If you want, you may be more specific.. Ie, Frugivore, fungivore, or, even magnific.. Ei.. A carnivore which eats many different types of meat. If possible though, they will hunt impala. (now, for there prey, no matter if they are carnivore, herbivore or what have you HAS to already exist. What this means is, as a carnivore, if you point out a specific food, it HAS to be a player controlled species. And for a herbivore? It has to have grown at least 1 hex that is specific to it. Eg: A Kanker berry forest.

Life Cycle :(3 EP) Humans are born in live litters of 1-3. There is a long gestation period. Humans reach breeding maturity at the age of 17, and begin to die of age at 60. (this is an example life cycle, remember to contact me about your life cycle, instead of just posting it up and assuming how many EP is it worth.

Biological Abilities:(every single species should have some of these.)

Civilized Abilities: (Very unlikely to start with these)

Special Abilities:(Unless it is a reaaaaly good idea, not only should you not start with these, but I also hope you do not get them in future. You might though.

Relationships: (You DEFINITELY start out with non of these.)

The Current Species
RulerOfNothing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Armok

Ahra
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:35:42 am by RabbidHare »
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

RabbidHare

• Bay Watcher
  • .!..!DisgaeaFTW!..!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:34 am »

For the Deities!

True Name:

Known Name: (Note, this is not created by you, but by the race that worships you, though you might be able to influence what they call you by intervention)

Main Sphere: (For spheres, please nothing to general, as said above)

Secondary spheres: (2 of them.)

History:

True Image: (Not necessarily what your worshipers think you worship. Once again, intervention may be required.)

Back-story! : (See above.. Inter- You get it!  :P)

Cost of Powers!
I'm not going to add any costs in just yet. I'm going to be editing in more as we go though, so don't fret.

The current LIVE deities
Sinpwn
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:38:57 am by RabbidHare »

RabbidHare

• Bay Watcher
  • .!..!DisgaeaFTW!..!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:52 am »

Alright! So here is the land so far, as well as the legend. (or key, which ever you prefer.)

The Land

The Legend

The Players

Current
Sinpwn(god)
Ahra
RulerOfNothing
Armok(Needs a tiny edit though)

Reserved
Micelus
Dsarker(god)
LAAT501legion(unknown)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:40:33 am by RabbidHare »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:37:33 am »

I'll put together a sheet in the morning. Just posting in case there is a limit on players. Please reserve; it I make it now it WILL be utter crap.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:08 am »

Assuming you've stopped reserving spots, I'm going to leap in with a god. And because I can't be bothered being creative, I'm going to him Nurglator, and he's the god of Disease, Fatalistic Joy, and Familial Love.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:30 am »

in, will make sheet later
creature
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:40:35 am »

I might put together a creature sheet. One question, how costly is a breeding schema that has a Litter size of 1, Breeding Age of 10 and Death Age of 30 with placental live-birth?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:41:20 am »

Idea for a creature, to annoy the hell out of gods- make your special ability something like 'unable to be influenced by Gods, cannot worship them'. :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

RabbidHare

• Bay Watcher
  • .!..!DisgaeaFTW!..!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:24 am »

Nice to see so much interest so quickly! I'll answer questions in a few moments, as I am currently Editing the 3 reserved posts.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 08:04:25 am »

I will join as a god. I'll edit my god in as soon as possible.

Edit:
True name: Othrelos (closest pronunciation in mortal tongue)
Known Name:
Main Sphere: Productive change
Secondary Sphere: Enhancement (or mutation)
Secondary Sphere: Ingenuity (or madness)
True Image: A shifting mass of gold and purple energy, composed of holy and obscene images.
Backstory: It's worshippers see it as advancement incarnate, leading the world to a new golden age. It's enemies see it as a paragon of wrongness, leading the world to it's end. It is neither, merely seeking to bring about change in any way possible. It has only recently realized that it actually needs to be beneficial to be worshipped.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:30:31 am by Sinpwn »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:05:05 am »

reserving a creature, will PM in some minutes.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RabbidHare

• Bay Watcher
  • .!..!DisgaeaFTW!..!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:08:51 am »

I might put together a creature sheet. One question, how costly is a breeding schema that has a Litter size of 1, Breeding Age of 10 and Death Age of 30 with placental live-birth?

I would make that 2.

Idea for a creature, to annoy the hell out of gods- make your special ability something like 'unable to be influenced by Gods, cannot worship them'. :P

While i'm sure that would annoy the gods.. It could also make your creature suck slightly.. Like.. If the gods have taught their followers to make steel.. And your still using wood.. It would bloooooow. Imoooooo.

For those that have started making creatures and such.. Thanks!

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:33:30 am »

I will make a sheet soon,posting to reserve a slot.
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

RabbidHare

• Bay Watcher
  • .!..!DisgaeaFTW!..!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:45:06 am »

Put a "reserved and playing" area into post 4. Please inform me if I missed you!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4