Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cant dig past layer 43, No Hell or magma sea  (Read 1791 times)

robe323

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cant dig past layer 43, No Hell or magma sea
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:19:42 am »

So i started a new game of dwarf fortress, everything seemed normal enough while i was playing until i dug myself a stair well down to layer 43 just past a rd layer cavern but stil no where near hell i still havent encountered the magma sea.Thats when the problems began, not only could i know londer get my miners to designate the building of up/down stair wells or down stair wells i am un abable to go down another layer :'(. i was able to build a downward staircase via b,C,d but i still cant go down a layer

here is my save if your interested i wanna know if this is just for me with my dwarf fortress setup or for everyone
http://www.mediafire.com/?5or7dz3uljjdbho

UPDATE***

shit just got real
i recently discovered a magma flow in my cavern full of grass, i decided to get some dwarves to dig it out and found them WALKING OVER THE TOP OF IT completly unharmed. this magma flow is also completly uneffected by gravity (gravity is turned on so is cave-ins) as it currently resides over a godamn channel (this is the latest version of dwarf fortress btw) anyway the next task shall be to either pump or "mine out" this magma flow

here is the said magma flow
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UPDATE 2*******
tried to pump the magma to the surfaace but it didnt flow through the pumps, when i deconstructed the pumps their was no longer any "magma" underneath note magma usualy has a depth such as 1/7, 7/7 etc. this magma doesnt display such a thing when examining with k it just says Magma Flow...  i also discovered their are no monsters at all in the cavern

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:51:08 am by robe323 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cant dig past layer 43, No Hell or magma sea
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:03 am »

What version are you running?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:22:51 am »

Yeah, can't dig any deeper. It seems as if you dug to the very last level, can't go lower. Stonesense agrees, your last level is just regular stone layer.

The possible reasons I see:

1) Bugged emark, similar to candy spires across 1k z-levels. Little hint it might be the cause is that you have regular grass in caverns
2) Bug triggered because of 2x3 embark size. Throughout the versions there were various bugs reported for non-square embarks, might be a new one.
3) Changes in worldgen. I see you have only 1 cavern layer, so I guess you fiddled with advanced world params. However, I see that both BOTTOM_LAYER params are set to 1, so afaik it means it's not the one settings that purposely disables magma sea.

EDIT: Option 2 is out, I embarked on a new 3x3 site next to yours, no magma either.
EDIT 2: I embarked on the other side of the world and Stonesense is telling me there's magma down there, not sure about HFS thou (no usual bottom layer layout made of slade)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:29:24 am by Ethnar »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:45:51 am »

Armok smited the HFS out of the world.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:48 am »

Has anyone tried a DFReveal?

I suppose you could have accidentally generated without any underground features.
[Signature]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:06:52 am »

Advance worldgen does allow you to remove magma and associate magma fun if you so desire.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:50:43 am »

Has anyone tried a DFReveal?

I suppose you could have accidentally generated without any underground features.

I used stonesense which also allows to display hidden tiles, there's no magma or HFS on this embark.

Advance worldgen does allow you to remove magma and associate magma fun if you so desire.

Yep, but there's some magma deep underground in another part of this world he plays on, so it's not strictly disabled. More like there was no space for magma sea on his embark area? Not sure.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:10:17 am by Ethnar »