Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants constantly going insane  (Read 774 times)

Yarrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants constantly going insane
« on: January 23, 2007, 11:44:00 pm »

I'm not sure if someone's mentioned it already, but the subject says it all.

Since the Dec 26 version, every single caravan that has made it to my fort has been unable to leave the map. The make it to the depot and trade no problem, but they cant seem to ever leave the depot. After about a season or so, they all go insane or berserk. Yes, I have dug channel defences around my fort, but nothing to block any movement. Human wagons enter and leave no problem, but all mules are doomed to die.

Is this a problem related to dwarves getting stuck on windows/statues/etc?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants constantly going insane
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »

Did you build channels flanking your road? I've had that happen, had to add some bridges.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

An older thread had someone with a similar problem when they actually had placed elephant-blocking channels far to the north and south.  Apparently this gets in the way of pathfinding somehow, even if the merchants never walk that way.  As previously suggested, try building some bridges.

I'm actuallly curious if just making the u-shaped tunnels filled with traps three wide would be enough to solve this problem -- could it maybe just be wagon pathfinding problems?

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>
I'm actuallly curious if just making the u-shaped tunnels filled with traps three wide would be enough to solve this problem -- could it maybe just be wagon pathfinding problems?</STRONG>

I think it does. I had channels far from the road both north and south. And I had U shaped tunnels with traps in them. I also had bridges across the river on the far side of the channels.. I never had any merchants get stuck. Still they should be able to just walk off the map if there is a exit point.

"It's unpossible!"

Yarrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

Yes, I have numerous U-channels as defence plus roads surrounded by channels and the fix was to build a bridge across the channels adjacent to the road at the map edge.