Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you dispose of your trash?  (Read 1962 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you dispose of your trash?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:50:13 pm »

Organic waste: on the roof of my above-ground fortress.
Cloth and copper waste: elves.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »

I've tried to make a DAS but all it did was cause a garbage explosion. Even when I completely walled it in, garbage magically phased through the walls as soon as I dropped the bridge and scattered everywhere.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 08:09:11 pm »

Retracting or drawbridge?  Only drawbridges will atom smash.  Retracting causes scatter.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 08:13:31 pm »

Also, make sure you're lowering the bridge.  Raising a drawbridge will only smash items along the 1-tile wide 'spine' of the bridge (the side that becomes a wall when raised,) and only if there is a wall,door, etc. next to it.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 03:28:32 pm »

I have a 1x1 chute that was once exposed to the sky that descends along the edge of my fortress. No miasma is produced, and if it were, the diagonal connection prevents its spread, because everyone knows gas-contained particles can only move orthogonally.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:00 pm »

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I used to throw stuff into magma, but then I found out that certain materials just won't melt and these just built up causing lag. Now I dump my garbage into hell.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 03:51:43 pm »

Miasma isn't a gas.  It's an idea.  The dwarf is thinking "there's something rotten over there" when it's actually a perfectly good piece of kitten cheese (may have been modding a little...).  They just think that it's old or left out, generating waves of displeasure.  You, the overseer, are able to view this through special kitten goggles (ok a lot of modding...).

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I used to throw stuff into magma, but then I found out that certain materials just won't melt and these just built up causing lag. Now I dump my garbage into hell.

I construct simple devices where everything dumped will disintegrate into nothingness in with the pull of only one never. No magma required at all, so that valuable magma/lava can be used for my ever growing metal industry.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:32 pm »

I dump every single piece of useless crap in my fortress on the prisonners every few months or so. When there's too much, I flood the prisons with magma, and I start again with new prisonners.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 03:57:22 pm »

Miasma isn't a gas.  It's an idea.  The dwarf is thinking "there's something rotten over there" when it's actually a perfectly good piece of kitten cheese (may have been modding a little...).  They just think that it's old or left out, generating waves of displeasure.  You, the overseer, are able to view this through special kitten goggles (ok a lot of modding...).

So if I dump a mutilated goblin corpse into the dining hall of a dead fortress where no one can smell it, does it emit miasma?

I construct simple devices where everything dumped will disintegrate into nothingness in with the pull of only one never. No magma required at all, so that valuable magma/lava can be used for my ever growing metal industry.

There's more than enough magma for both.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »

There's more than enough magma for both.

It can even atomize magma!  :o How Dwarven is that!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 04:05:43 pm »

I actually prefer the magma option, preferably by dumping the trash off a small chute that's flowing with magma and has a grate at the bottom to recycle the flow.  Using this, you can shut the flow and retrieve the iron and maybe steel for re-use, while the troll fur socks are destroyed!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »

What happens to melted mineral piles? IE. stuff like zinc that can't resistmagma but doesn't completely go away either. Wouldn't this prevent the dwarves, or should prevent the dwarves, or hopefully prevents the dwarves from stepping on top of the tile and grabbing a piece of iron equipment?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:35:37 pm »

Dwarves happily walk through magma waterfalls.  Do the math.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 04:38:39 pm »

Am I right to guess that flooding the stuff with water isn't going to cool it down?
Pages: 1 [2] 3